Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bossy lady posted:

It's pretty hard to wedge anime tits into literary classics like moby dick or mary shelley's frankenstein. My research indicates that anime tits are mandatory.

Its a Frankenstein monster and its got biiiiig ole tiddies sewed on and also its skirt flies up so you can see its undies after like literally anything.

Boom there is ur game buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BrigadierSensible posted:

Virginia Andrews already did this, and she didn't need video games to do it.

She used the power of incest and abused children.

My corn-pop worked as a psych nurse and confiscated a VHS of "Flowers In The Attic" from one of his patients for obvious reasons. It lived in our basement until my sister discovered it. We watched it and it was bad and weird. One of her friends got really into all of the books. Thats my V.C Andrews story.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Montague Tigg posted:

why aren't there more (good) books based on video games? I read a Halo book once and it sucked poo poo, but like dead space martyr is really loving good for even just a sci fi horror novel on it's own

I think I tried reading a final fantasy book once and got bored

You should check out the Baldur's Gate novelization.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nooner posted:

Its a Frankenstein monster and its got biiiiig ole tiddies sewed on and also its skirt flies up so you can see its undies after like literally anything.

Boom there is ur game buddy

The monster is technically a child so this will probably sell well.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

hard to turn internal monologue into gameplay

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Junk posted:

just remembered Nation States, based on the book Jennifer Government. its one of those dumb browser based country simulators, but it should count. i remember people playing this in high school

wtf its still up https://www.nationstates.net/

Holy crap, my nation's still there!

E:

Well, someone's been busy during my absence. :stare:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 7, 2022

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thats the Aboriginal Flag

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Crowdfunding my cart racer based on A Tale of Two Cities soon!

It was the best of races, it was the worst of races.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah, it's the base flag if you don't have one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Poohs Packin posted:

About loving time they won one imo.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Make Albert Camus' L'Etranger into a first person shooter.

Turn Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe into a Tetris clone

The Thornbirds by Colleen Mcollough deserves to be a horror game. Or a bishibashi game. either would be fine.

And topically, make The Art of the Deal, (which was written by some mushroom dicked, small handed failed steak salesman), into a fighting game.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There are all sorts of video games based on movies. Not as much as in the movie tie-in golden age of the 00s when every kids movie and blockbuster had a lovely platformer attached to it. There are all movies and shows based on games. There are novelizations of video games and the extended universe of Halo and what not. But where are the video games based on books?

I looked and it's mainly detective stories with the odd fantasy novel here and there. But what about the classics? Are there video games based on Middlemarch? Or great expectations? The brothers karamazov? It seems like a great way for me to experience these novels without having to read them something already done perfectly by the Nancy Drew games.

With the explosion of indie games why haven't more developers taken advantage of these public domain properties?

Achievement unlocked: You have convinced Smerdyakov that God does not exist and anything is permissible.

Penalty: You father has been killed!

Penalty: Your brother is under arrest!

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Colonel Cancer posted:

The Jungle meat packing plant manager

I would play the poo poo out of this.

The game ends when the workers successfully unionize.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aren't the Metro games based off books?

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Its like everyone is forgetting about the To Kill a Mockingbird MMORPG. I played that for 400 hours instead of reading the book for my middle school English class.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

roomtone posted:

hard to turn internal monologue into gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge76LXtMqyk

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this kind of seems like a choose your own adventure book with a (slightly) animated illustration rather than "gameplay" per se

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every heard of a little game called Dynasty Warriors :smug:

That and Arm Joe, the big 2.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Point and click adventure based on A La Recherche du Temps Perdu

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

gleebster posted:

Achievement unlocked: You have convinced Smerdyakov that God does not exist and anything is permissible.

Penalty: You father has been killed!

Penalty: Your brother is under arrest!

Look nobody made him to around and tell the entire city that he was going to kill his father; sometimes you just can't save people from their traits

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When I was in third grade I read Treasure Island and wrote a letter to Capcom suggesting they make an RPG based on it (because at the time FF1 was my favorite game). They wrote back thanking me and letting me know they couldn't take fan suggestions.

Beyond that, I know the original Megami Tensei was based on a novel written in the 80's.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
OP let me introduce you to a little game called WALDEN:

https://www.waldengame.com

quote:

Walden, a game is an exploratory narrative and open world simulation of the life of American philosopher Henry David Thoreau during his experiment in self-reliant living at Walden Pond. The game begins in the summer of 1845 when Thoreau moved to the Pond and built his cabin there.

Players follow in his footsteps, surviving in the woods by finding food and fuel and maintaining their shelter and clothing. At the same time, players are surrounded by the beauty of the woods and the Pond, which hold a promise of a sublime life beyond these basic needs. The game follows the loose narrative of Thoreau’s first year in the woods, with each season holding its own challenges for survival and possibilities for inspiration.

The audience for the game is broad: from experimental game players to lovers of Thoreau and Transcendental literature. As such, the game offers more opportunities for reflective play than strategic challenge. The piece has a subtle narrative arc, in homage to the original text, which is not an adventure of the body pitted against nature, but of the mind and soul living in nature over the course of a New England year.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Bible sandbox, 100% smotable . Burn it, flood it, set bears on stuff.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Apollodorus posted:

OP let me introduce you to a little game called WALDEN:

https://www.waldengame.com

Tell me there's DLC allowing you to take your laundry home to your mother.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Carlos Lantana posted:

Bible sandbox, 100% smotable . Burn it, flood it, set bears on stuff.

yes it's called actraiser. and actraiser 2 is based on dantes inferno. but it ain't a drat actraiser game that's for sure.

witcher 1 is technically based on geralt's more action packed hunts and adventures in the books but this is kind of a stretch, also please dont subject yourself to witcher 1

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Doctor J Off posted:

Point and click adventure based on A La Recherche du Temps Perdu

Is the joke of this that you eat the Madelaine with the first click, and then the game is over?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Play the Witcher, op, I hear that's based on a Netflix show.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

chainchompz posted:

Play the Witcher, op, I hear that's based on a Netflix show.

The show is based on a novelisation of the games, kind of like how they have Halo novels. This is how it works.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I BURNED them, op. You don't REMEMBER? You REMEMBER when the PAGES FLEW IN THE LIGHT

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Betrayal at Krondor. It is a game from the Riftwar books. I think it was like an additional book book in the series, but in game form.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think the wikipedia page that op linked is nowhere near complete. when i was a kid, pretty much any game you bought came with a book inside the box. all of those should be listed.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

gleebster posted:

Tell me there's DLC allowing you to take your laundry home to your mother.

His mother also baked him stuff and he bought his food from the store but I assume that hasn't made it into the game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There's a million Harry Potter video games too, perhaps an argument for not only should there be fewer games based on books, but fewer games and also fewer books.