Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Probably airs on Wednesdays, and I think is available on Paramount+??

The Race: Look I'm not going to explain The Amazing Race outside of "Teams fly thousands of miles to shovel manure in Romania," you know what it is.

The Twist: This is The Covid Season, where filming was ended in March of 2020 and racers were sent home. However, 18 months after filming ended, the remaining racers that were able to attend were brought back. It's hard to guess what this will look like, and what extra considerations have to be taken, from the route to slowing down alliances that formed during the 18 month downtime. It's extremely weird and should be for at least Strange Television.

The Teams
Ryan and Dusty

Relationship: Best Friends
Claim to Fame: Ryan was wrongly convicted of murder and imprisoned for 10 years
Energy they're bringing: Podcaster energy

Arun and Natalie

Relationship: Father Daughter
Claim to Fame: Natalie is smart as heck, and Arun has a "successful American Dream" immigrant story, but they're not high profile
Energy they're bringing: Like every Father child team, the daughter figuring everything out and the father nitpicking while loving up, probably.

Connie and Sam

Relationship: Married Couple
Claim to Fame: They let a highschool football star live with them when he was on troubled times. Braheam Murphy now goes to Westpoint and plays Football there
Energy they're bringing: In over their head parents :ohdear:

Raquel and Kayla

Relationship: Flight Attendants
Claim to Fame: None! 👏
Energy they're bringing: High-energy ditziness.

Michael and Moe

Relationship: Cops
Claim to Fame: They went viral singing on some videos, probably.
Energy they're bringing: Anything that's not Art & JJ, god please.

Kim and Penn

Relationship: Whitest YouTubers on the Planet, former Anchor People
Claim to Fame: They make (please don't gently caress up your recs when you click this) Holiday Family Parody Songs
Energy they're bringing: White

Caro and Ray

Relationship: Dating
Claim to Fame: Met on Love Island!
Energy they're bringing: Like all fresh dating couples, "partner discovery" at the worst possible time

Anthony and Spencer

Relationship: Best Friends
Claim to Fame: Stopped a Terrorist Attack on a Train
Energy they're bringing: Military smugness

Akbar and Sheri

Claim to Fame: Run an afterschool program to support their neighborhood, they rule. Also, played college basketball
Energy they're bringing: In over their heads parents, but because they're not in as good shape as they used to be in their basketball days :ohdear:

Taylor & Isiah

Claim to Fame: Did a Flash Dance at their wedding.
Energy they're bringing: I think this is supposed to be the more high-energy young couple (though only Isiah is really younger).

Lulu & Lala

Relationship: Twins
Claim to Fame: Radio DJs in the New Jersey area
Energy they're bringing: Twins and public personalities??? Immense gently caress up energy. If they were unknown they could have Natalie and Nadiya energy but alas 😔

Studio fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's a bunch of stuff spoilered in terms of route and how many teams couldn't make it back for the rest of S33, but I'm not sure how many people care (since it should all be revealed in the next 1-2 weeks)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the preview for next week shows that they had to stop the race so I assume the break will happen between episodes 2 and 3 (or 3 and 4 if you counted the first week as two episodes) since it looked like they were all at the mat

I like most of the teams so far! Even the team I thought I would hate (the youtubers) brings a fun dork energy.

Also lmao at two of the teams just getting completely in their own heads at the mail rail

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

"For future reference, this says The Amazing Race. This is a clue."
:lmao:

I agree with liking the teams. The worst interaction was probably between Akbar and Sheri, and Akbar at least acknowledged this. I've seen enough Amazing Race to recognize when a player is being lovely without being aware of it, and showing remorse in a post-game interview gives me hope :pray:.

I'm curious if the Episode 1 and 2 tasks are being affected by Covid. Like there definitely seemed to be a huge discrepancy in how complicated the tasks were. "Shoot some darts" and "Walk around Britain a bit" versus the more traditional and complicated detours.

My prediction for the teams that don't come back are Ray and Caro, since they broke up, and Connie and Dave since Connie was... 7 months pregnant when filming resumed?.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

"For future reference, this says The Amazing Race. This is a clue."
:lmao:

I agree with liking the teams. The worst interaction was probably between Akbar and Sheri, and Akbar at least acknowledged this. I've seen enough Amazing Race to recognize when a player is being lovely without being aware of it, and showing remorse in a post-game interview gives me hope :pray:.

I'm curious if the Episode 1 and 2 tasks are being affected by Covid. Like there definitely seemed to be a huge discrepancy in how complicated the tasks were. "Shoot some darts" and "Walk around Britain a bit" versus the more traditional and complicated detours.

My prediction for the teams that don't come back are Ray and Caro, since they broke up, and Connie and Dave since Connie was... 7 months pregnant when filming resumed?.

First one doesn't shock me at all, they even had Caro giving a confessional by herself on a bench at some point after they had their fight in the car which I don't remember being a thing I've seen before so it must have been pretty bad after the leg. I really enjoyed Connie and Dave's energy though so that one bums me out. Hopefully they can come back on a different season.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Woops, I've been writing Connie and Dave, which is in fact, not the name used by Connie and Sam.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh whoa, I uh, was wrong about the covid teams. Connie & Sam, Caro & Ray, Anthony & Spencer, and Taylor & Isaiah are out, Arun & Natalia and Mike & Moe are back in??

Arun and Natalia and Michael and Moe are likely back. I reallllly wonder if the teams spent time improving themselves to better race? Or if there's some super distinct alliances that will do terrible things to the show like in 32.

Anyhow, I hope Chris Underwood is channeling his energy into Arun and Natalia.

Stolen from Reddit:

quote:

The four teams had unable to return and reason:

Caro & Ray (broke up on July 2020; announced on Caro's YouTube channel; video)

Connie & Sam (Connie was 25 weeks pregnant when the Race resumed filming)

Anthony & Spencer (were accepted to return; but one of the pairs injured around the summer)

Taylor & Isaiah (were accepted to return but family member tested positive and later died; as they dropped out at the last minute)

Studio fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 13, 2022

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I want really really bad things to happen to whoever decided to put Kim and Penn on my tv

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anthony and Spencer being out is a big bummer :smith:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I normally hate that cutesy family dancing youtube type stuff but Kim and Penn seem so earnest in it that I kind of don't mind them.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Anthony and Spencer being out is a big bummer :smith:

yeeeah. I do think splitting up the dude alliance is good, but I would've rather see that happen via uturn :unsmigghh:

SteveVizsla posted:

I want really really bad things to happen to whoever decided to put Kim and Penn on my tv

:hmmyes:

the worst part is they're fairly likeable on the show.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

the worst part is they're fairly likeable on the show.

yeah I was fully ready for them to be my villain of the season but their energy is infectious and they just seem like really nice people

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I must be watching a different show because I can't stand them and think they're super obnoxious

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

SteveVizsla posted:

I must be watching a different show because I can't stand them and think they're super obnoxious

At least he was mildly self-aware when he had his little moment about a rest measure... and then I went right back to eyerolling when their response to the prize was "oh we love Cape Cod!"

Also, TAR, please stop showing their holiday pj video. Please.

Like, the thing is, Lulu and Lala also have the potential to be obnoxious but are so far not that bad? It's an interesting contrast, probably partially driven by their poorer performance.

I find myself liking Dusty and Ryan - they're bros but have a sense of wonder and enjoyment so far - and Raquel and Kayla. Akbar and Sheri are great if a little... intense sometimes.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Can they stop showing the part where she’s waggling her rear end at her kid please?

I’m on Team Flight Attendants, everyone else is annoying and/or bad. Stick shift incompetence on AR still baffles me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I wonder if part of it is also the driver's side switching. So even if you've practiced, you're now having to flip everything and also pay attention to the opposite road side switching as well. So people who are really familiar with stick, just have to mainly deal with driving flip. And people who practiced before the race, now have to do it with their left arm.

I've never driven a car set for the opposite side, are the gas, brake and clutch also reversed? That's got to mess you up too.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The pedals and gears are in the same arrangement, you’re just shifting with your left hand instead. I am sure the wrong-sidedness was contributing but countless teams have had problems driving sticks in LHD countries in past seasons too. I don’t know how accurate the gear grinding sounds are, if they are added in post of whatever (likely) but if those sounds are remotely accurate to reality then it sounds like people just aren’t using the clutch pedal at all.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think a lot of teams are just doing the one thing you shouldn't do, which is freak out over a relatively minor obstacle that if you spend like, a few seconds adjusting to is totally fine.

which imo is cool and good, and they should keep doing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

I think a lot of teams are just doing the one thing you shouldn't do, which is freak out over a relatively minor obstacle that if you spend like, a few seconds adjusting to is totally fine.

which imo is cool and good, and they should keep doing

I can totally understand the stress of being in the race causing this kind of freakout.

Also I've never driven stick but I can absolutely understand the suddenness of the stick being on the other side just completely breaking your ability to drive it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

IcePhoenix posted:

I can totally understand the stress of being in the race causing this kind of freakout.

Also I've never driven stick but I can absolutely understand the suddenness of the stick being on the other side just completely breaking your ability to drive it.

I haven't driven stick in like 25 years, I'm not sure I could still do it properly in an empty parking lot with my correct hand, much less with reversed hands under Race conditions!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jng2058 posted:

I haven't driven stick in like 25 years, I'm not sure I could still do it properly in an empty parking lot with my correct hand, much less with reversed hands under Race conditions!

same. It's probably been 15 for me but doing it reversed in a smaller foreign car with a camera in my face probably wouldn't work out well.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Lmao Michael and Moe have the honor of being the first team eliminated, twice! That's amazing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

We've done it, by god. We've found the worst team in amazing race history.

Francesca, Michael, and Moe should form a polycule imo

Studio fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 20, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Studio posted:

We've done it, by god. We've found the worst team in amazing race history.

Francesca, Michael, and Moe should form a polycule imo

lmao I love it

also dear god why is Sherri doing another height challenge

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

lmao I love it

also dear god why is Sherri doing another height challenge

I saw that and almost threw something at my TV. I get that they're both terrified of heights (which is already not great for TAR) but Sheri jumping on that grenade without a fight was actually pretty impressive. But then Akbar started hassling her about being slow when she's TERRIFIED annoyed me. Dude, cut the lady some slack, you would be the exact same way. But now they're getting to a second height challenge, and instead of taking turns, she's going AGAIN. I really wonder if it's Akbar forcing her to/throwing a fit about doing it himself, or if she's just that drat selfless. Either way, she's my favorite between the two of them. She may not be the best racer, but she's not an rear end in a top hat at least.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm not about to pretend to understand how Kim and Penn have made a career out of their videos but I'm a sucker for a "married couple that actually likes each other" team.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The belt was right there and all they had to do is copy it. I’m amazed by the stupidity of people.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sighence posted:

I'm not about to pretend to understand how Kim and Penn have made a career out of their videos but I'm a sucker for a "married couple that actually likes each other" team.

My wife somewhat likes their videos. I thought their peloton song was funny.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

The belt was right there and all they had to do is copy it. I’m amazed by the stupidity of people.

To be fair I'm pretty sure they said that the belt they had to do was different than the sample belt, so they didn't have something to look at until the other team finished.

Still, as someone who's from Bills country, I can't be surprised that a team from Buffalo massively blows up at every opportunity

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah the little pictures were different but the right to left or left to right was there to follow. The dudes are just abysmal at Amazing Race

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think their problem was that they didn't know where to start, and like, instead of figuring it out they just decided to lose.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since I'm back into TAR I'm going back and finally watching the season my friend who got me into the show always told me was his favourite, season 5. Man I forgot how quickly everyone started losing tempers in those early seasons, these days it seems like it's at least the 3rd leg before people really start losing it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm really relieved with how not-weird this first covid-affected leg was

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was a little bummed that they're going to be doing chartered flights, since that takes away some of the drama, but the increased amount of self-driving should make up for that nicely

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm massively in favour of the removal of public transport meaning hopefully stripping out the taxi lottery, self driving is much more fun to watch since you get the terrible navigation and resulting arguments.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
As a completely unrelated note I just read on Wikipedia that in 2019 the Vietnamese version of the show did a leg in North Korea. Goddamn

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Riptor posted:

As a completely unrelated note I just read on Wikipedia that in 2019 the Vietnamese version of the show did a leg in North Korea. Goddamn

Now that's hard core.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

God I want Phil to say some dumb rear end detour in North Korea, that would rule. "Teams will have to pick between Detainment or Labor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vlCrzdmSzA

I found the VoD, but not speaking Vietnamese makes it uhhh, harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jesus Christ. The two eliminated teams in no way deserved to come back. Should have brought in some of the alternates