Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Probably airs on Wednesdays, and I think is available on Paramount+??

The Race: Look I'm not going to explain The Amazing Race outside of "Teams fly thousands of miles to shovel manure in Romania," you know what it is.

The Twist: This is The Covid Season, where filming was ended in March of 2020 and racers were sent home. However, 18 months after filming ended, the remaining racers that were able to attend were brought back. It's hard to guess what this will look like, and what extra considerations have to be taken, from the route to slowing down alliances that formed during the 18 month downtime. It's extremely weird and should be for at least Strange Television.

The Teams
Ryan and Dusty

Relationship: Best Friends
Claim to Fame: Ryan was wrongly convicted of murder and imprisoned for 10 years
Energy they're bringing: Podcaster energy

Arun and Natalie

Relationship: Father Daughter
Claim to Fame: Natalie is smart as heck, and Arun has a "successful American Dream" immigrant story, but they're not high profile
Energy they're bringing: Like every Father child team, the daughter figuring everything out and the father nitpicking while loving up, probably.

Connie and Sam

Relationship: Married Couple
Claim to Fame: They let a highschool football star live with them when he was on troubled times. Braheam Murphy now goes to Westpoint and plays Football there
Energy they're bringing: In over their head parents :ohdear:

Raquel and Kayla

Relationship: Flight Attendants
Claim to Fame: None! 👏
Energy they're bringing: High-energy ditziness.

Michael and Moe

Relationship: Cops
Claim to Fame: They went viral singing on some videos, probably.
Energy they're bringing: Anything that's not Art & JJ, god please.

Kim and Penn

Relationship: Whitest YouTubers on the Planet, former Anchor People
Claim to Fame: They make (please don't gently caress up your recs when you click this) Holiday Family Parody Songs
Energy they're bringing: White

Caro and Ray

Relationship: Dating
Claim to Fame: Met on Love Island!
Energy they're bringing: Like all fresh dating couples, "partner discovery" at the worst possible time

Anthony and Spencer

Relationship: Best Friends
Claim to Fame: Stopped a Terrorist Attack on a Train
Energy they're bringing: Military smugness

Akbar and Sheri

Claim to Fame: Run an afterschool program to support their neighborhood, they rule. Also, played college basketball
Energy they're bringing: In over their heads parents, but because they're not in as good shape as they used to be in their basketball days :ohdear:

Taylor & Isiah

Claim to Fame: Did a Flash Dance at their wedding.
Energy they're bringing: I think this is supposed to be the more high-energy young couple (though only Isiah is really younger).

Lulu & Lala

Relationship: Twins
Claim to Fame: Radio DJs in the New Jersey area
Energy they're bringing: Twins and public personalities??? Immense gently caress up energy. If they were unknown they could have Natalie and Nadiya energy but alas 😔

Studio fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's a bunch of stuff spoilered in terms of route and how many teams couldn't make it back for the rest of S33, but I'm not sure how many people care (since it should all be revealed in the next 1-2 weeks)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

"For future reference, this says The Amazing Race. This is a clue."
:lmao:

I agree with liking the teams. The worst interaction was probably between Akbar and Sheri, and Akbar at least acknowledged this. I've seen enough Amazing Race to recognize when a player is being lovely without being aware of it, and showing remorse in a post-game interview gives me hope :pray:.

I'm curious if the Episode 1 and 2 tasks are being affected by Covid. Like there definitely seemed to be a huge discrepancy in how complicated the tasks were. "Shoot some darts" and "Walk around Britain a bit" versus the more traditional and complicated detours.

My prediction for the teams that don't come back are Ray and Caro, since they broke up, and Connie and Dave since Connie was... 7 months pregnant when filming resumed?.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Woops, I've been writing Connie and Dave, which is in fact, not the name used by Connie and Sam.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh whoa, I uh, was wrong about the covid teams. Connie & Sam, Caro & Ray, Anthony & Spencer, and Taylor & Isaiah are out, Arun & Natalia and Mike & Moe are back in??

Arun and Natalia and Michael and Moe are likely back. I reallllly wonder if the teams spent time improving themselves to better race? Or if there's some super distinct alliances that will do terrible things to the show like in 32.

Anyhow, I hope Chris Underwood is channeling his energy into Arun and Natalia.

Stolen from Reddit:

quote:

The four teams had unable to return and reason:

Caro & Ray (broke up on July 2020; announced on Caro's YouTube channel; video)

Connie & Sam (Connie was 25 weeks pregnant when the Race resumed filming)

Anthony & Spencer (were accepted to return; but one of the pairs injured around the summer)

Taylor & Isaiah (were accepted to return but family member tested positive and later died; as they dropped out at the last minute)

Studio fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 13, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Anthony and Spencer being out is a big bummer :smith:

yeeeah. I do think splitting up the dude alliance is good, but I would've rather see that happen via uturn :unsmigghh:

SteveVizsla posted:

I want really really bad things to happen to whoever decided to put Kim and Penn on my tv

:hmmyes:

the worst part is they're fairly likeable on the show.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think a lot of teams are just doing the one thing you shouldn't do, which is freak out over a relatively minor obstacle that if you spend like, a few seconds adjusting to is totally fine.

which imo is cool and good, and they should keep doing

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

We've done it, by god. We've found the worst team in amazing race history.

Francesca, Michael, and Moe should form a polycule imo

Studio fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 20, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think their problem was that they didn't know where to start, and like, instead of figuring it out they just decided to lose.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

God I want Phil to say some dumb rear end detour in North Korea, that would rule. "Teams will have to pick between Detainment or Labor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vlCrzdmSzA

I found the VoD, but not speaking Vietnamese makes it uhhh, harder.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I wish I was at that cocktail party :(

also lmao arun and natalia.

they own i love how bad they are at this. maybe they'll Josh & Brent but that seems super unlikely.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Is anyone really liveposting? But yeah not reason normal tv iv rules don't apply. I used spoilers early on since I made the thread after the season had already started lol.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shoutouts to the lone black family, The Black Family.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Mmmm now that was some good irony :discourse:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Departure times, yay or nay?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This last episode was extremely filler and had like, no space for actual advancement, especially with the teaming (more so with the failure lol).

That said, was a few fun challenges, and honestly better than some of the other filler elimination legs they've had. Hell, I'd say it was better than some of the worse finales.

I was super rooting for Arun and Natalia, and the more they can't keep up the more I want them to win. Like a mini-Josh and Brent it'll be awesome.

IcePhoenix posted:

That really was the perfect way for Sheri and Akbar to get eliminated. As soon as I saw how long he had to hike to get up the mountain I knew they were screwed.

I don't think I have any active dislike for any of the remaining teams which feels like a rarity for this show, especially with this many teams left.

Looking ahead (I know this is just speculation but I'm still gonna spoiler it) Survivor starts on March 9th which means there's possibly four episodes left? If they do a three team final that means either there's two non-elimination legs in those four episodes or the finale is split between two weeks. Not sure how much precedent there is for either of those two options

I think the Wikia confirms this. ||Since 3 person non-US legs are extremely pointless and they've largely stopped doing them, I would expect Elim, Non-Elim, Elim, Final||.

Also I'll actually be able to keep up with Survivor live this season :unsmith:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Wait there's a discord for this? Someone shoot me an invite.

Yeeeah, I do not think there's enough activity to necessitate a Discord. That was entirely me trying to spoil something ||like this||, realizing it's not spoiled after posting, and forgetting to delete the discord tags after editing.

I also watch as a west coaster, so I could not live post unless you're watching late, another knock against the discord 😔. Unless there's a CBS Casting Director that wants to chat in which case always down.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

gotta post about TAR and use SEO terms to keep the series alive

#LostArk #Covid19 #Nude

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Lmao Lulu and Lala, that ending was great.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also, Raquel is a testament to not wearing a tank top on TAR

Edit:

https://twitter.com/arunbernie/status/1494097462516137988

Look at that. They have the power. They can win.

(I also got 242 in 2)

Studio fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

That episode was a hell of a trip for the only real change being a 4/5 swap

also (next week preview) there's no way next week is an elimination leg with what that rock challenge looks to be, right? That means two more episodes after Survivor starts, has CBS released schedules for that?

No? Survivor starts the 9th right? So next week is the non-elim, Then I believe it's Leg 10 and 11 on March 2nd, starting at 8 PM

Since the first episode had 2 legs (and technically 2 episodes??), despite being on the 8th airing, that was leg 9, and the series should end before Survivor.

Which is important, I need to root against the woman who obviously is going to Stanford

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yup, that lines up

Go Bears!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's funny going into what is 99% a non elimination leg. I'm feeling very "I just hope the racers have a good time" :)

njsykora posted:

I got caught up from being 2 weeks behind and

Though to be fair I also gag when I’m trying to eat onion.

It was the whole package. Eating 2 souvlakis, finding the pitstop, just perfect

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nevermind, no one having a good time is MUCH better tv

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

blue squares posted:

Even Arun and Natalie? I like them but they don't deserve it
Counterpoint:

Doesn't matter how much you gently caress up if you make final 3, all it takes is one first :clint:

I am absolutely rooting for Arun and Natalia because it would make me Laugh the most. Though Josh and Brent have a waaaay better story.

Studio fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 25, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

dovetaile posted:

Josh and Brent were the gay goat farmers, right?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Invite Michael and Moe back and reintroduce the starting line elimination (literally the worst twist of any TAR season), as a prank.

Connie + Sam and Anthony + Spencer would be my pick of returnees from the eliminated. Both groups really seemed to have a grip on what they were doing when filming ended (3.66 and 4.33 average finish). Taylor and Isaiah did seem quite nice, but they also were just not great at the race. If they improved they'd also own.