Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScuta 6.66
May 10, 2005
Don't rip me off.
Walt is no "crime lord" at any stage of the show. He never has any serious loyal muscle behind him -- basically just paid hitters and his dipshit ex student. He's a dork who happens to have a highly marketable skill in the criminal underworld. He stumbles around in his neckbeard quality hat and gets incredibly lucky that he isn't killed every 3-4 episodes.

Jesse is a sniveling, whiny druggie whose parents loved him, he's gifted a nice house and he shits on them and everyone else because he can't control his emotions. Jane and Andrea were both stupid characters and I didn't care at all when either died.

Mike was legit but they dumbed him down in season 5 and he (surprise) gets tricked by "genius" Walt. When Walt stole the methylamine Mike could've easily beaten/tortured him to give it up.

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of agree OP but all your points are dumb as hell and do not have any bearing on 'quality' in fact a lot of them are points in the shows favour.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

you watched breaking bad for the plot?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The joke is Walt is a dweeb that wants to be a badass but is such a dweeb that he has to kill all the actual badasses to be the biggest badass by default. Then he gets bored of being a badass and unsurprisingly everything blows up in his face.

Jesse's a drug addict hanging out with other drug addicts and all his father figures are drug makers / dealers so really it's a loving miracle he's as together as he is.

Do people still hate Skyler for being pissed over her husband making meth?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hold on guys I got a joke about this

You're gonna love it

Breaking Bad

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Breaking Bad suffers from the same problem that a lot of american dramas do where nothing is planned ahead, poo poo happens solely for the sake of drama, and they just keep it going forever until the ratings start to tank because the writers ran out of good ideas back in season 3, and then the last season has to come up with a rushed ending that ties up loose strings that were never really thought out.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

(angry Walter white voice) I… am… Walter white, do you know who I am? I am. Walter. white.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmCXST0qcc

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Didn't another dumb dumb start this exact same thread last year

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
it seemed to appeal most to the type of people who are into things because they are "badass"

the kinds of people who would always quote pulp fiction and flash their "bad rear end motherfucker" wallets at every opportunity

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mega64 posted:

I hosed Ted was unironically my favourite line in the series.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

You're gonna love it

Breaking Bad
drat you are on a year today MMP

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its got its moments

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

they should have had walt invent a new kind of meth, Meth Mk. II, which gives him super strength and fear waves to defeat his enemies

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i would have rather just watched a dark comedy about hank and marie

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

i would have rather just watched a dark comedy about hank and marie
yeah lol

at least they gave saul a spin off

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol his last name is pinkman cuz he's a pussy

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I watched Breaking Bad for the first time last summer, and I thought it was great.

That said, I do agree that fans who act like Walt is some kind of criminal mastermind or a total badass for the "I am the one who knocks" speech are doofuses. Walt is a total nerd.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Walt threw a perfectly good pizza on his roof, show lost me at that point.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its a good show and I enjoyed it. I don't think its super special though.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

No crimelord? No crimelord?

He puts on a loving HAT!

JFC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would have ended the show by having Walt do all the meth in the world

He doesn't die or anything, just two hundred hours of him doing drugs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

single handedly resulted in more people googling the pontiac aztek than ever before

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

ive done my fair share of meth and it’s much more fun than watching the show

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Didn't read the thread. The first episode of Breaking Bad was the best 90 mins of television I have ever seen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

The joke is Walt is a dweeb that wants to be a badass but is such a dweeb that he has to kill all the actual badasses to be the biggest badass by default. Then he gets bored of being a badass and unsurprisingly everything blows up in his face.

Jesse's a drug addict hanging out with other drug addicts and all his father figures are drug makers / dealers so really it's a loving miracle he's as together as he is.

I hated Skyler before it was cool.

Mainly because she was all over him way before any of the meth stuff came out. Jeez the dude is dying of cancer cut him some slack.

Later of course she was fully justified.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

what a grand and intoxicating innocence

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Walt’s wife and kid were ingrates.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Overrated compared to what? Didn't this show air on some B-list cable channel while the major television networks were several years deep in the reality tv show fad?

I mean, The Wire it ain't. I had a hard time getting into it, but it's ok. I have the impression there were a lot of people writing for the show and it probably suffered from the weaker contributions at times.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Overrated compared to what? Didn't this show air on some B-list cable channel while the major television networks were several years deep in the reality tv show fad?

I mean, The Wire it ain't. I had a hard time getting into it, but it's ok. I have the impression there were a lot of people writing for the show and it probably suffered from the weaker contributions at times.

nope it was Oz, the Sopranos, maybe the Wire, Breaking Bad. HBO laid the ground work AMC took it to new levels.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nope it was Oz, the Sopranos, maybe the Wire, Breaking Bad. HBO laid the ground work AMC took it to new levels.

Is Oz that good? I want to watch it because of J.K. Simmons, but I also heard that it's the ultimate downer.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Also, Walt and Mike are portrayed by amazing actors. If that show were cast differently, I can see it not working.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

surf rock posted:

Is Oz that good? I want to watch it because of J.K. Simmons, but I also heard that it's the ultimate downer.

it was a good show. It was amazing back in '99. Still good to this day

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Meme Poker Party posted:

You're gonna love it

Breaking Bad

I don't like this format of post. It puts strain on my scrolling finger

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Having watched this before the sopranos, it became clear when watching the latter that a lot of breaking bad's ideas of balancing crime with family came straight from there. Carmella is much more complicit than Skylar but they both hit a lot of the same notes. Sopranos is a much better show.

They even share the problem of fools who read the protagonist as "badass".

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

I don't like this format of post. It puts strain on my scrolling finger

then don't loving quote it next time rear end in a top hat

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
The acting and (much of) the direction were great or at least good, thats what I liked about it.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
AMC, hmm. I'm curious, does Breaking Bad share writers or producers/directors with The Walking Dead? There is this thumbprint of writing style that rarely appears on Breaking Bad that I noticed increasingly on The Walking Dead before I gave up on that show. I can't put my finger on it, but it's this feeling of the writers having no idea how to proceed or bridge into the next plot point, so they lean on grit and disgust in order to provoke an "anything but this would be nice" response from the audience, making the awkward jump to the next part of the story less jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

AMC, hmm. I'm curious, does Breaking Bad share writers or producers/directors with The Walking Dead? There is this thumbprint of writing style that rarely appears on Breaking Bad that I noticed increasingly on The Walking Dead before I gave up on that show. I can't put my finger on it, but it's this feeling of the writers having no idea how to proceed or bridge into the next plot point, so they lean on grit and disgust in order to provoke an "anything but this would be nice" response from the audience, making the awkward jump to the next part of the story less jarring.

Maybe. Don't actually know. Kirkman wrote the Walking Dead and Invincible. Might have had a hand on Breaking Bad too