Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Novo posted:

it seemed to appeal most to the type of people who are into things because they are "badass"

the kinds of people who would always quote pulp fiction and flash their "bad rear end motherfucker" wallets at every opportunity
I watched it recently and I know these kinds of fans exist but I don't understand how. How does one miss the point so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cranking Pud

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Elukka posted:

I watched it recently and I know these kinds of fans exist but I don't understand how. How does one miss the point so hard?

it's naive to say that BB doesn't indulge that audience by including frequent moments when walter is being BadAss as hell.

it's set up so you can enjoy it as a power fantasy or a character study, depending on which kind of consumer you identify as

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

Hold on guys I got a joke about this

You're gonna love it

Breaking Bad

What about…

Breaking Wind

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

the fans of television or what?
what was the point we missed? where someone would become a monster to protect his family. Or, that we were all always horrible mosters anyway so who loving cares.
Grow up

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Recently rewatched, it’s ok but if you know the big plot twists a lot of the fun is gone. Could have been a season shorter, definitely could have done with less focus on Marie’s shoplifting habits or the excessive Jesse Must Suffer episodes.

Better Call Saul is better, they seem to have the overall story figured out and Kim and Lalo own.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Yeah, it's a good show but it's not built for rewatches

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I watched seaon 1 due to all the hype and quit at the start os 2 because it wasn't very interesting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sekenr posted:

I watched seaon 1 due to all the hype and quit at the start os 2 because it wasn't very interesting

mostly same, season 1 was good poo poo but season 2 lost my interest. it got boring pretty quickly once the initial novelty of the premise wore off.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Recently rewatched, it’s ok but if you know the big plot twists a lot of the fun is gone. Could have been a season shorter, definitely could have done with less focus on Marie’s shoplifting habits or the excessive Jesse Must Suffer episodes.

Better Call Saul is better, they seem to have the overall story figured out and Kim and Lalo own.

It was supposed to be a season shorter and then the suits at AMC stepped in and said, "lol between BB and Walking Dead money we are not going to allow you to do that," so then they had to pad out a 5th

Saul is definitely more fully-formed, though, it doesn't have that play-by-ear poo poo going on that stuff like BB was sorta guilty of and Lost based its entire premise on. Kinda makes sense BB would have some of that floating around, though, Gilligan was an X-Files writer and they pioneered the overarching-story-with-no-direction format.

Also it's pretty funny/weird seeing the locations they use on the show if you live in ABQ. The exterior of the apartment Jesse's girlfriend ODs in is an apartment my dead-from-an-OD friend used to sell heroin and crack out of, right off Buena Vista. Stuff that's supposed to be on the east side obviously being on the west side, etc.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 8, 2022

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its a pretty good show and all of OP's criticisms are brokebrained.

Saul is better.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Meth doesn’t actually get you high its just the rush of doing something illegal

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
this show had a scene where expressionless villains slow walk away from an explosion without flinching.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I liked Breaking Bad when I binged it on Netflix like a year or two after the show ended. Doubt I'll ever watch it again though. The last couple seasons of Saul are better at the Breaking Bad stuff than Breaking Bad was.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Walt rapes his pregnant wife in the first few episodes and I put down the show and never came back. It was clear how the show was gonna go from there, just the cheapest string-pulling bullshit. I hate that poo poo, using 'casual' rape to build character development.

And it's amazing to me how often the show comes up and people either blow over that ('it was to show he's already too far gone!' or some BS), or worse, didn't register it as/ didn't even realize it was rape :psyduck:

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 8, 2022

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The scene where walt shoots dope to stop from puking up his cancer meds and end up puking all over his naked balls while hes replacing the water heater and then wakes up to the dog licking puke off his balls really turned me off to the show. The CGI of the dog just wasnt believable and really took me out of it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

some long fingers

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Walt rapes his pregnant wife in the first few episodes and I put down the show and never came back. It was clear how the show was gonna go from there, just the cheapest string-pulling bullshit. I hate that poo poo, using 'casual' rape to build character development.

And it's amazing to me how often the show comes up and people either blow over that ('it was to show he's already too far gone!' or some BS), or worse, didn't register it as/ didn't even realize it was rape :psyduck:

WTF I don't remember this at all (but I don't doubt it happened)

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
They should call it breaking sad cuz of the sad state his relationships are in by the end

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I didn’t understand why he didn’t just make his own chemo drugs and heal hisself

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
what a stupid title too. god i hate it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
First season is good, everything after is not worth the time

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Maturity is going from thinking Breaking Bad is "The Best Contemporary Drama" to realizing that actually "The Wire" is the best contemporary drama (except for season 2). And then finally realizing that actually The Wire S2 is in fact one of the best seasons is when you've truly matured.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i rewatched the wire with a friend in 2020 and the Nation of Islam guy who behaved like a shonen character made me much more annoyed than the funny polish people season

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

i rewatched the wire with a friend in 2020 and the Nation of Islam guy who behaved like a shonen character made me much more annoyed than the funny polish people season

Hard agree

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i tried to watch it with a friend and we made it less than half way through the first season before giving up.

i've been fooled too many times by the "it starts out rough, but it gets better in the 2nd season" lie, and i'm not gonna fall for it anymore.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

yea a lot of people don't think highly of him, which is fair because he's not a particularly good character

Chris and Snoop own though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U
Snoop buying a nailgun is a classic TV moment

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
McNulty is a bad character and performance

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the fans of television or what?
what was the point we missed? where someone would become a monster to protect his family. Or, that we were all always horrible mosters anyway so who loving cares.
Grow up
Uhh, what?

The point where Walter feels like life has passed him by, how he feels middling and emasculated, and how he has a huge ego that must be stroked which is actually the core motivation with the cancer thing and helping his family as a fig leaf. They made this explicit in one of the first episodes. It leads him onto a foolish adventure at first and eventually villainy and downfall. He has a long road to realize he never did anything for his family but it's made apparent to the viewer early on.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
The X-Files had some good episodes though

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bad Purchase posted:

i've been fooled too many times by the "it starts out rough, but it gets better in the 2nd season" lie, and i'm not gonna fall for it anymore.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cafe Barbarian posted:

McNulty is a bad character and performance

I thought he was acted well enough considering hes a fancy englishman playing a drunk american cop.

I think "idealistic cop" archetypes, even imperfect, have aged badly since the show was released. The whole killer storyline turned me off to his character and is one of the weaker points if the show.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Televesion is a degenerate art form--Hamlet is the greatest character in literature and you get about 3 hours of him. But Walter White is supposed to be interesting for 100? Lol.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Tumble posted:

yea a lot of people don't think highly of him, which is fair because he's not a particularly good character

Chris and Snoop own though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U
Snoop buying a nailgun is a classic TV moment

Chris and snoop were fantastic. A highlight of the series imo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is true. But it's better than the Wire. As are tons and tons of shows. The Wire is the best crime drama that takes place in Baltimore, though.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mega64 posted:

Do people still hate Skyler for being pissed over her husband making meth?
It is the worst fear of bad husbands - when your wife knows you're lying to them and punishes you for it, when you think you have covered your tracks so well that technically she shouldn't even be mad. Unbelievable!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Breaking bad or badly breaking???

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
*flavs song
*skinny petes hidden talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

TheScuta 6.66 posted:

Walt is no "crime lord" at any stage of the show. He never has any serious loyal muscle behind him -- basically just paid hitters and his dipshit ex student. He's a dork who happens to have a highly marketable skill in the criminal underworld. He stumbles around in his neckbeard quality hat and gets incredibly lucky that he isn't killed every 3-4 episodes.

Jesse is a sniveling, whiny druggie whose parents loved him, he's gifted a nice house and he shits on them and everyone else because he can't control his emotions. Jane and Andrea were both stupid characters and I didn't care at all when either died.

Mike was legit but they dumbed him down in season 5 and he (surprise) gets tricked by "genius" Walt. When Walt stole the methylamine Mike could've easily beaten/tortured him to give it up.

Discuss.

Yeah thats kinda what breaking bad is about OP. its a good show. walt is an idiot that keeps biting off more than he can chew and its enjoyable because of that.

I fully agree about Mike though. He should have killed Walt the many times he had a reason/opportunity to.