Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Another Bill posted:

It's a prequel series, you impotent buffoon

lol, look at this simpleton who lives within the confines of linear time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bonzo posted:

The real enemy of the entire series is Walt's ego. The guy is a raging rear end in a top hat and he puts everyone in danger just to prove a point. I can't remember if they ever explain why he left Grey Matter to become a high school teacher (for $48,000 a year) but I assume it was to prove someone wrong.

Better Call Saul is good but they are benefiting from hindsight. I think Vince Gilligan is milking that drat show for all its worth because I don't know what else he's got in mind and X-Files is over.

From the wiki:

quote:

In 2016, Vince Gilligan finally revealed the true reason for why Walter left Gray Matter. He revealed that Walt left Gretchen and Gray Matter because he felt inferior to her and her wealthy family, thus confirming that his ego and pride were the reasons why.

Yeah Saul is great but I’m glad they are wrapping it up after six seasons and I don’t want any more spin-offs like a Gus prequel. The cast is getting too old as flashback scenes of Saul in his 20s with Bob in heavy makeup are silly, and Mike is too elderly to be plausible as a hitman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think the sequel series to acclaimed drama Better Call Saul is pointless and stupid, just watch Better Call Saul, it's better. Saul is barely even the same character in the stupid sequel series.

That’s true, rewatching BB there are some oddities with BCS, like Saul and Mike barely seem to know each other and don’t act like they went on a desert death hike after Mike sniped like six guys to save Saul.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mike does that for everyone

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I hear they are making a new series that takes elements from Better Call Saul & BB.
like, it features a blue drug and the tagline is "Better Blast Cum"
Aparrently Phizer are co-writing and producing it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bad Purchase posted:

lol, look at this simpleton who lives within the confines of linear time

Yeah seriously time is a circle that folds back in on itself so every prequel is also a sequel and vice versa

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'd watch Breaking Battlestar Galactica

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
That guy that plays jesse is kinda trash and overacts allot

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hes the worst part of bojack horseguy

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Its funny because Jessie is just a gently caress up and you almost think he must have had a lovely home life but nope, his parents are totally normal. From the plot of the one episode it sounds like they finally cut off their adult son because of drugs, which again, is a total normal thing to do. But he acts like everyone is wrong and that's why he has to make meth. And he never gets better because the 1st thing he does out of recovery is gently caress them out the house they are trying to sell, which he destroyed in the first place. And then he fucks it up again.

The original idea was to kill Jesse in season 1 and they should have stuck with that, really. I have a very hard time believing Gus and Mike wouldn't kill him at any time. He's not critical to any plot really and just sits around saying, "Yo Mr. White. Bitch"

Edit: I am also re-watching LOST and Kate fucks up less than Walt and Jesse

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah Saul is great but I’m glad they are wrapping it up after six seasons and I don’t want any more spin-offs like a Gus prequel. The cast is getting too old as flashback scenes of Saul in his 20s with Bob in heavy makeup are silly, and Mike is too elderly to be plausible as a hitman.

Well speaking of shows going on way too long. I like BCS well enough but drat the whole thing should've been like 3 seasons tops.

Chuck did nothing wrong
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 10, 2022

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I think the sequel series to acclaimed drama Better Call Saul is pointless and stupid, just watch Better Call Saul, it's better. Saul is barely even the same character in the stupid sequel series.

They did too good a job making his brother a villain in BCS. Like, it’s hard to watch scenes with Chuck because he’s such a piece of poo poo. Where as Jimmy is more of a lovable fuckup.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah but Chuck was right about everything

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah but Chuck was right about everything

https://i.imgur.com/uCxjvw8.mp4

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol nm

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Chuck gets AIDS. Jimmy plays a prank on him and chuck gets aids. It's very funny but he has to pick up the tab for his meds and has to become a lawyer

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

that's literally the point my man

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

the only time walt was competent at crime was when other people did it for him (gus, skylar)
that is the punchline i believe

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gus was cool but I hate how nerd culture has seized on him like they've never seen a calm, collected baddie before.

So now we get Star Wars and also Far Cry (poo poo games lol) starring Gus Fring as Himself and I just cringe at how uncreative it is.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Gus was cool but I hate how nerd culture has seized on him like they've never seen a calm, collected baddie before.

So now we get Star Wars and also Far Cry (poo poo games lol) starring Gus Fring as Himself and I just cringe at how uncreative it is.

hes basically rodney dangerfield

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Call Your Grandma posted:

matt damon shouldn't have shot the kid on the RV imo

def one of his better roles tho

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol that that hosed up looking kid from friday night lights has the biggest career from this show of anyone rn

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Gus Fring?

More like inmate number 2.

Trading Places > Breaking Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WMErc1n6Ks

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Yeah I like how Hank, of all people, is the voice of reason in the drinking scene. I still have no idea what Walt was trying to prove.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The Walrus posted:

lol that that hosed up looking kid from friday night lights has the biggest career from this show of anyone rn

I recently saw him in The Power of the Dog and hardly recognized him.

TheScuta 6.66
May 10, 2005
Don't rip me off.

Der Kyhe posted:

Likely because David Simon was still convinced that he was 100% correct every time the chief editor or owner killed his stories or ideas when he was still just a reporter in the Baltimore Sun. So the "good guy" journalists were always the best but went unnoticed or unthanked, the one who got famous and became the editor's favorite was cheating, and the owners were just the meddling executives too stupid to understand the art that is being journalist. And "the best of the best" got shitcanned because he was too difficult to work with.

D. Simon may be skillful in several important aspects needed by an author, but self-criticism and introspective insights aren't two of them.

You guys bringing up The Wire newspaper season made something click in my head:

The "good guy" reporter from The Wire is named Gus and his boss is played by the same actor who plays Gale in BB, who works for Gus Fring.

What a whacky coincidence am I right

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hell, Giancarlo Esposito played a better calm menacing crime lord in 1994. Watch Fresh it's an amazing movie. Are you a fan of intricately planned revenges??? Look no further!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

yall talkin about buggin out???

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TheScuta 6.66 posted:

You guys bringing up The Wire newspaper season made something click in my head:

The "good guy" reporter from The Wire is named Gus and his boss is played by the same actor who plays Gale in BB, who works for Gus Fring.

What a whacky coincidence am I right

I mean probably

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Jose posted:

what a lot of "prestige" tv shows forget these days is to be funny. the sopranos was extremely funny throughout the show to go with all the drama

I just re-watched Breaking Bad and found it a lot funnier the second time around.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Who What Now posted:

WTF I don't remember this at all (but I don't doubt it happened)

I got the timing of where it is wrong, it's the first episode of the second season, so it's this but:

Bonzo posted:

There's a scene in the second episode or something where Walt has rough (consensual) sex with Skyler. I think that was his attempt to try and re-create that for some reason and he pushes her up against the fridge and they both stop. Its really odd and that angle never happens again.

....but the way it goes is she asks where he's been and in response wordlessly pushes her against a fridge while she asks him to let her step away, and then he penetrates her hard.

Before he penetrates her, she is resisting, saying let me clean this stuff off my face (she's in a robe wearing a facial mask), and trying to get him to stop. He keeps going and doesn't listen up until he is fully inside her and crushing her entire body into the fridge and she screams out STOP IT at the top of her lungs and that is when he pulls out and walks away. The fact that he stops doesn't make the fact that he just roughly penetrated her aggressively without warning not rape, nor does it make it consensual simply because she was attempting to bargain with him to get him to stop. She's clearly upset, and tries to resist and he pushes it until she's literally in physical pain. Only at this point does he step back and look at what he's doing. People try to say it plays on the edge of consent but that's some leftover 00's brain worms IMO. It one of those really clear 'this guy is a villain' red flags that a lot of people seem to miss or try to explain away to give a little more leeway to Walt.

Dude rapes his wife. Bryan Cranston himself said he felt this scene was a rape scene and played it as such:

Bryan Cranston posted:

This was a very, very delicate scene... ...it basically gets into what I felt was a rape scene.

The only way that I felt justified in doing this... He just witnessed this brutal beating and is so devastated, and yet can't speak about it, that he just needs and yearns for comfort and some tenderness of any kind. And what happens to Walt is that he misplaces that tenderness and he gets excited. He gets sexually aroused. So he gets confused about the moment.

I was done after this, as this was during the height of Heisenberg Fandom and people were super into Walt as a Scarface kinda thing and I was like gently caress this dude who rapes his pregnant wife he's no working man's hero caught between a rock and a hard place, he's a shithead.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 10, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waiiit a second...the point of this show wasn't what I thought.

I'm out!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jose posted:

what a lot of "prestige" tv shows forget these days is to be funny. the sopranos was extremely funny throughout the show to go with all the drama

I just watched the first season of Succession and it is darkly funny fwiw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Succession is supposed to be. I'm.on the second season and the awkwardness means I can't binge it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I get a real kick out of how consistently Kendall fails in Succession. It's comical. Tom and Greg are always funny too.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I don’t really like the new succession season but I watch it with my friend whos really into enneagrams and we enjoy pointing at the screen and being like “Roman is an unhealthy 3 with a 2 wing… Tom is a classic six seven”. It’s not a bad way to spend an evening

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've been making fun of succession for the past year and now i'm addicted to it lmao

it's trash, it's total loving garbage. but very entertaining

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Jose posted:

Huell and Kuby were pretty fuckin' funny dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BMl5lZeFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8domW4NwpBQ

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 11, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
i kinda soured on it when my friend pointed out that it's a show about a white dude who easily defeats non-white dudes over and over again until the very end when he's finally taken down by... white supremacists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Animal-Mother posted:

i kinda soured on it when my friend pointed out that it's a show about a white dude who easily defeats non-white dudes over and over again until the very end when he's finally taken down by... white supremacists.

relly makes u think :thunk: