Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

in english, with "it is raining," what does the "it" refer to?

in french it translates to "he rains"

in russian it's "rain is walking in one direction by foot"

"it" means the matrix. the matrix is raining . . . or is it?? do you think that's water pelting down on your head now??

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Manifisto posted:

"it" means the matrix. the matrix is raining . . . or is it?? do you think that's water pelting down on your head now??

See: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991112

free hubcaps

its still rainin'

poverty goat

It sure has been raining a long time

kalel

poverty goat posted:

hope it never stops personally personally

free hubcaps

Peter Spier is one of my favorite illustrators, and Rain is one of my favorite books by him.

free hubcaps

poverty goat posted:

as long a time as forever

Twenty Four

free hubcaps posted:

its still rainin'

This looks like a cool metal album cover. Animated album covers or other similar things like book jackets would be cool, but other then digital it would currently be prohibitively expensive if we are talking hand held stuff like I was thinking. Anyhow, bring on the rain!

free hubcaps

i bet the rain must've stopped by n-

oh

free hubcaps

vanisher

I wonder how hard it would be to do rain in blender

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

kalel

free hubcaps posted:

i bet the rain must've stopped by n-

oh

do you even know what thread this is??

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've always wanted one of those cool boxes that mimics the weather with real rain and clouds and stuff

I was gonna link it to a place with the highest rainfall on earth

free hubcaps

kalel posted:

do rain even rain what rain this is??

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

This looks like a cool metal album cover. Animated album covers or other similar things like book jackets would be cool, but other then digital it would currently be prohibitively expensive if we are talking hand held stuff like I was thinking. Anyhow, bring on the rain!

lenticular printing, the kind that changes depending on the angle you're looking at it, would be one way to do it. you can, apparently, get an animated 5"x5" lenticular print made at walgreens for $3.99. I don't know if the technology is inherently much more expensive for bigger pictures but I wouldn't think so, however maybe with a larger image it's harder to render each frame distinctly across the entire picture.

oh man this reminds me of a book from my childhood, it had a number of black and white drawings that you could animate using barrier grid or "picket fence" animation (it's also called "scanimation" I guess). basically you had this clear plastic sheet with lines on it and by slowly moving the sheet over the image it created the appearance of motion. I bet that book had some rain images, the one I remember most vividly was a bunch of moving parts of a watermill.

here's a kitty animated using that technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-gjUgkH9U

apologies for the detour, back to rain eternal

e: apparently the use of lenticular printing for album covers etc. has a decent amount of precedent. from wikipedia:

quote:

The lenticular picture on the album cover for the Rolling Stones' 1967 LP Their Satanic Majesties Request was manufactured by Vari-Vue, as well as the postcards and other promotional items that accompanied the release.[36] Other lenticular LP covers include Johnny Cash's The Holy Land (1969)[37] and The Stranglers' The Raven.[38] In the 2010s lenticular covers for LPs became a bit more common, especially for deluxe re-releases.[39]

From around the mid-1990s some lenticular cd covers were produced (mostly for limited editions), including Pet Shop Boys' Alternative (1995) with an image of Chris changing into Neil,[41] The Sacrilicious Sounds of the Supersuckers (1995),[42] Tool's Ænima (1996), Velvet Underground's Loaded 2CD version (1997),[43] Kraftwerk Expo2000 (1999) and David Bowie's Hours (1999).[44] Ministry's 2007 The last sucker had an image of George W. Bush changing into a monstrous, alien-like face.[45]

In the 2010s lenticular covers for movies on DVD and Blu-ray became quite common.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 25, 2022

ty nesamdoom!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/coco-cloud-radical

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

free hubcaps

Manifisto posted:

lenticular printing, the kind that changes depending on the angle you're looking at it, would be one way to do it. you can, apparently, get an animated 5"x5" lenticular print made at walgreens for $3.99. I don't know if the technology is inherently much more expensive for bigger pictures but I wouldn't think so, however maybe with a larger image it's harder to render each frame distinctly across the entire picture.

oh man this reminds me of a book from my childhood, it had a number of black and white drawings that you could animate using barrier grid or "picket fence" animation (it's also called "scanimation" I guess). basically you had this clear plastic sheet with lines on it and by slowly moving the sheet over the image it created the appearance of motion. I bet that book had some rain images, the one I remember most vividly was a bunch of moving parts of a watermill.

here's a kitty animated using that technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-gjUgkH9U

apologies for the detour, back to rain eternal

e: apparently the use of lenticular printing for album covers etc. has a decent amount of precedent. from wikipedia:

this may not be rain, but it is really interesting!

the MIT museum in Boston has a massive collection of holograms and some of them are pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpBYne7SlU

free hubcaps

btw its still raining

free hubcaps

free hubcaps

vanisher posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to do rain in blender

Go for it! Even some of the gifs like the last one I posted, while obviously fake, capture the rainy vibe really well.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
may I request another anime one. those ones are v soothing 2 me

free hubcaps

Areola Grande posted:

may I request another anime one. those ones are v soothing 2 me

sure friend!

bonus non-anime but animated extremely good one:

free hubcaps

Areola Grande

YESSS :sickos:

Manifisto

these are lovely!

Betty Wight

Checking in. Still love the rain.

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

free hubcaps posted:

sure friend!

bonus non-anime but animated extremely good one:

Do you happen to have a vertical one? That second one is beautiful but my phone crops it weird for the lock screen

Twenty Four

Thanks again for the rain gifs, pretty soothing and I appreciate them! I predict I will make this same post again because I am feeling it!

sephiRoth IRA

-Carl Sagan

Twenty Four posted:

Thanks again for the rain gifs, pretty soothing and I appreciate them! I predict I will make this same post again because I am feeling it!

Me too

free hubcaps

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Do you happen to have a vertical one? That second one is beautiful but my phone crops it weird for the lock screen

here's one just for you friend

Manifisto posted:

these are lovely!

Ponyo is an underrated movie with lots of good rain!

sephiRoth IRA

-Carl Sagan
:glomp:

kalel

ponyo has incredible underwater vistas but also some really good island rain feels. the score is also second to none. just a fantastic ghibli entry :3:

free hubcaps

kalel posted:

ponyo has incredible underwater vistas but also some really good island rain feels. the score is also second to none. just a fantastic ghibli entry :3:

heck yea! I've heard people say its somehow a lesser ghibli movie but I don't see it, it's one of my favorites

also this mienar character does some really good rain work

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 27, 2022

free hubcaps

rainy day nonstop

Areola Grande

free hubcaps posted:

rainy day nonstop

I hope this thread lasts 4ever :love:

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Areola Grande posted:

I hope this thread lasts 4ever :love:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

free hubcaps

kalel

it's snowing outside but I wish it was raining tbqh

David Pratt
it's been raining all day here, i keep looking outside thinking "it must have stopped by now" but it hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake

when i'm working and i need sound but i don't want to listen to music i love putting on those "heavy rain on cabin roof" style things. very calming.