Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HP, Andrade getting a bit Kevin Spacey, AEW Rampage, 7th of January

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

graph posted:

maybe the worst ppv ive ever seen

Sounds like it's the worst since the 1995 King of the Ring PPV.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kevino07 posted:

WPOTYC: Brandi Rhodes in Cleveland & Dan Lamber, AEW Dynamite, 02/02 - Dan Lambert shares some fault for this poo poo
HM Promo: Bryan Danielson's offer to Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 02/02 - Super intrigued with this

Finally got round to watching the episode (I had a friend's funeral to attend, and I was too upset to get round to doing anything, so I'm about a week behind).

I'd bump B-Dan's promo up to POTYC. It made me less interested in a match between Danielson and Mox, and interested in a stable with Danielson, Moxley, Garcia and Moriarty, with Regal as the JJ Dillon figure.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Worst audience of the year: the dickhead who kept shouting while Punk was talking. No one is there to watch you try to be the centre of attention, you loving dolt. Shut your mouth, you loving boy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Overall the audience was pretty cool tonight I really liked them. Honorable Audience of the Year.

I was watching the replay on FITE and posted as I watched. The crowd overall was fine, but gently caress me, some shitheads trying to make themselves the centre of attention while a promo is going on can gently caress off yesterday.

Probably should have said “worst audience members of the year.”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

graph posted:

POTYC: MJF won't quit - AEW Dynamite 2/23/22

He made one of the least sympathetic characters in AEW into someone that genuinely deserves sympathy. loving wow.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Def a show that was more about promos than matches, but the two big promos were all-timers.

nthing MJF’s promo and the Jericho/Kingston face-to-face.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Audience member of the year: The guy in yellow that looks like Bray Wyatt dressing up as Joey Janela. He looked like he was having the time of his life.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Corporate Tweet of the Year: Josh Alexander jumps a fence, walks into an arena, and attacks Moose all in one shot, 3/5

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1500318595108196360

One of these days, I want the person who's supposed to be attacked to never turn around and walk away, completely oblivious to the danger that they were in.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This is Lash Legend in a nutshell

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New nickname of the year: Demon Waif

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peek-taker of the year: Jake Hager

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vince was always poo poo when it comes to selling stunners, but that one is on a whole different level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayAnA3f7xg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Angle of the year - Shawn Dean: Pinnacle Killer

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Motherfucker of the Year: Adam Cole. :argh:

TV Episode of the Year: AEW Dynamite, 12/5/2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

big Nth to this one. The slow strap drops and everything.

There's 2 things AEW production does better than anyone else, and the other one is people flying in from off camera.

My favourite part was how Spears sold it, like in his panic, he forgot that Wardlow was right behind him, until he realised it wasn't just Wardlow but angry, straps-down WARDLOW instead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

nth, this might be my legit fav of the year so far

Can't say I agree. IMO, MJF's promo in February about being a victim of bullying was better. This very much felt like facsimile of THE pipe bomb promo from 11 years ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

POTYC: Christian Cage is Jungle Boy's Jungle Dad, AEW Dynamite, 22/06

Great segment and promo, but how does this make Christian look like a heel? Bringing up an old grudge from ages ago? Seems reasonable to me.

Rarity posted:

Baddies of the Year Candidate: Athena/Kris Statlander, AEW Dynamite, 22/06

Probably the best promo I've seen Athena deliver. The majority of the others, including during her NXT stint, often felt a bit bland or rough.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, good show, then?

How long was it altogether?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

1hr for the preshow, ~3.5 hours for the Pape.

Preshow is essential though.

Also Nth the show of the year nomination and you can cut at least a quarter of the preshow for ads and a bit of the PPV for promo reels if needed.

Ta.

I'll have to pace myself watching it. And yeah, it goes to show how stacked the rosters are when all that upheaval happens and the show apparently blows people away.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kinda Sorta Yikes Entrance Theme of the Year
Gates of Hell, RoH Death Before Dishonor 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ricky Starks' entrance is low-key one of my favourites at the moment. Gonna miss him posing on the turnbuckle with the FTW belt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

POTYC: Bryan Danielson/Daniel Garcia, AEW Rampage, 12/08

Yep. Definitely makes me more interested in any future JAS vs BCC match-ups, and how Garcia looked so crestfallen out of shame at the end.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

POTYC: CM Punk/Ace Steel, AEW Dynamite, 31/08

Sorry Mox you got beat

Hell yeah, made me feel things about Chicago, a city I've never been to.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Testekill posted:

Worst Promo of the Year: Saraya has something to say AEW Dynamite 9/28

Hoo boy, that was rough.

It's not the worst one, but yeah, not great. Her delivery was a bit weird, and it honestly felt very meandering, like at some points it felt like she had no idea where she was going, no idea how to get there.

I wonder if AEW know what to do with her at the moment, seeing as how she's apparently not cleared to wrestle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

this is an award for something but i have no idea what all i know is i couldn't breathe while watching this on a loop of the year

Who was trying to do what here?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just catching up on some AJPW, and watching the Korakuen Hall 60th Anniversay/NJPW&AJPW 50th Anniversary Show.

Best pre-match shenanigans:
Toru Yano

Has the announce read through a seemingly endless plugs
Gives a shout-out to Tajiri's book (which he bought with his own money), delighting ol' Tajjers, and gets it signed
Acts offended and outraged while one half of the opposing tag team Black Mensore has an equally long list of products to plug, and then politely takes the business card offered to him

Loudly asks the ref if his hands have been washed, and then sprays his hands with disinfectant spray anyway.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rewatching Final Battle.

Little Kid in the Crowd of the Year
The kid that shouts “Rope break!” at 9:29 in the Pure Title match. Rock on, kid.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Was it a bit of a dud? Swerve's had nothing but hits with me this year, so it's a shame that this time around they missed the mark with him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Worst Segment of the Year: Swerve introduces his new associates to Keith Lee - AEW Dynamite 12/21

I was so excited for this segment. Keith and Swerve! Rick Ross! It was loving awful. :smith:

Yeah, watching it now and I see what you mean.

Also, what does this mean for the Trust Busters? :ohdear:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend of the Year:
Renee Pacquette pointing at Parker Boudreaux and calling him an unidentified mystery man, even though he's been on the AEW roster and been on Dynamite and Rampage and poo poo multiple times this year. Poor Parker.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kurash posted:

Did... did this happen?

Edit: “unidentified” was a misremember. Renee starts the interview with Swerve about 55 minutes into the broadcast by saying his actions are “disgusting,” and then says “I don’t know who these guys are,” while Parker is flashing his “Parker” bling.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 30, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WPOTY (Worst Pants of the Year)
Parker Boudreaux - AEW Rampage New Year’s Smash

The loving state of your pants, mate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Best Entrance of the Year: Kenny Omega going full Sephiroth - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 1/4

I wanted to hear the battle cry under the devil's sky. :mad:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 1/11
POTYC: Adam Cole has Good News and Bad News

Watching it right now. Goddamn, I wish the fuckwit that kept shouting "shut the gently caress up" and "you suck" would gently caress all the way off. So, yeah, agreed.

Pikavangelist posted:

AEW Dynamite 1/11
WPOTYC: Whatever the gently caress MJF was trying to do for ten minutes between Takeshita's entrance and Danielson's entrance

Also hard agree. MJF's promos can often get really long and rambly, and whatever it was meant to achieve, all it did was just get in the way of the show. Like, TK is going to have to come up with something more interesting than having him wander out, and cut the same loving promo each week.

Also, racism? Really? If you have to resort to that poo poo for HHEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, then quite a few people, including MJF, need to have a loving word with themselves. Like, gently caress your loving HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, that's "turn this poo poo off and stop watching for a while" territory.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

POTYC: "It's just a job." - Claudio Castagnoli, ROH Honor Club 8/17

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1692327699698872377

Really reminds me of this promo. Very similar energy to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XBbdh1HHKc