Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Three EOTYC from TJPW Grand Princess (March 19th), each more incredible than the last
- Sanshiro Takagi
- Bakuretsu Sisters
- NEO Biishiki-gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Late Contender for Entrance of the year from Grand Princess - Miyu Yamashita

gently caress pageantry, i'm going to walk right down the ring in my regular attire and i'll still be the coolest person on the roster

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Most participants crying before the match begins
Bakuretsu Sisters vs Miyu and Shoko, TJPW March 26th

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

POTYC - Nodoka Tenma says goodbye :cry: TJPW March 26th
also Retirement of the Year for the entire roster coming out to attack Tenma because she won't reverse her decision to leave

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 26, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

lol Jagged looks like such a goober, it's perfect

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

EOTYC: The Young Bucks, AEW Rampage, 27/05

I'm gonna need some sort of effortpost on how it was better than Bi-gun at Grand Princess, please and thank you

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

POTYC: SHO's Holy War - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors (5/26)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPsu8cScZc

(after the Ace Austin promo)

I love this maniac

Agreed, I'm very happy he managed to pivot from bland HoT badness to cartoon buffoonery

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

POTYC - Only We (DDT June 5th)
- Quiet Storm rants while Yukio Naya stands in the background like the lump he is

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1533336644186939392

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

POTYC: Jay White, NJPW Dominion, 12/06

Jay almost started a riot in Osaka

gently caress the hell yes

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Best Average Entrance - Cyberfight Festival June 12th
TJPW Grand Princess back in March had higher highs, but drat near every match on the back half of this show went absolutely insane with the entrances. Drum Lines, Robots, Zombies, Twinks, Dancing Dinosaurs, Giant Flags, A big gently caress off throne. Sanshiro Takagi is making sure they burn through their budget allotment for the fiscal year so they can ask for more next CyberFest

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rewatched the Jay White promos from Sunday and got chills all over again. Jesus Christ he's so goddamn good

and he's not even 30 yet, loving hell I love you Switchblade you greasy hunk

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Best Midmatch Conversation: Chris Brookes and Shunma Katsumata - DDT July 3rd

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1543447537192824833

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

POTYC: Jay White, NJPW G1 Climax 32 Night 4, 23/07

The world's first clap promo

Nth, what a promo for HIS new era

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Debut of the Year: Max the Impaler - TJPW Princess Cup August 13th
- Perfection, this was everything a debut needed to be. More Max now please

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Best Title Challenge: Joey Janela vs Shunma Katsumata - DDT August 14th

Shunma comes out to challenge new champion Joey, but oh no! Joey doesn't speak Japanese! Joey tries to tell him this but oh no! Shunma doesn't speak English! They then proceed to talk past each other both trying to challenge the other for Peter Pan until Joey chances upon the little English Shunma has learnt from Chris Brookes threatening his life over the years

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1559022844293615616

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Nth, that's the goddam ace right there

Go Ace :confused:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Best Musical Guest: SKE48 - TJPW September 4th
- Instead of preparing for her big title defence in the main event, Yuki Arai instead does a three song mini concert as part of her actual full-time job as an idol

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1566278808365309952

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

POTYC - GM Imabayashi has had it with Hirata and Owashi's poo poo (again) - DDT October 12th

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1580136561512882176

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I've heard good things about Utami Hayashishita, depending on how you'd guage her level of celebrity pre-wrestling since her dad was the star of the show

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

POTYC: Gideon Grey NJPW December 5th
Gideon cuts an impassioned promo about finding allies that will lift you back up when you've given eveything and your body gives out, all the while UE's mascot nods along knowlingly

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Promo of the year: New Japan December 23rd

Suzuki-gun teach me how to say goodbye

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It continues to amaze me how heartfelt New Japan make goodbyes despite me speaking pretty much no Japanese. Nakanishi, Iizuka, Liger, now Suzuki-gun. I'm never ready

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fun stuff, Double J keeps winning

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sooper Gila posted:

POTYC's
Jay White after the dome.... NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 1/4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxIM0FkYoSY&t=686s

Nth, continuing to Breath with the Switchblade even now he's lost his goddamn mind

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

2nding this and immediately bringing in a competitor:

Guest Commentator of the Year: Kyle Fletcher, NJPW New Japan Cup Night 7 3/15

Singing Naito's theme song with Kevin, yelling at the referee, just being an utter delight.

Hell yeah, thought we had peaked on comms this tour with Cobb then Fletch stormed in making me wonder if I sound that silly when I talk

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Toy of the Year - Toi Kojima - DDT Mega Max Bump May 3rd

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Segment of the year - Mahiro Kiryu travels through space and time - TJPW Presents HYPE! A Hyper Misao Produce Show May 25th

This was loving incredible, a must see for any TJPW fan. Year of Kiryu baby, never wavered

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Kiryu's never really stood out all that much to me in TJPW, and I didn't understand a word of what she and Misao and the other assorted characters were saying during that whole (very long!) segment, but by the end of it I was ready to kill for her. That was loving incredible pro-wrestling nonsense with a shockingly emotional climax.

So yeah... nth!

The Dramatic DDT writeup is well worth the read, if only to reinforce that Mahiro Kiryu is your new favourite wrestler

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Not sure how to title this, but it's a real loving good promo by a couple of guys with very silly voices

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1676479974004641792

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Twin Magic of the Year - Yota Tsuji at NJPW G1 Climax Night 13 August 5th
This was perfect, it was like he hopped out of a time machine from his pre-excursion days to help his current day self

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Promo of the Year: Will Ospreay and Zack Sabre Jr. - two British guys - doing a back and forth promo entirely in Japanese to each other, with Ospreay having to take time to run through the translation in his head and formulate responses. Just beautifully done - NJPW Destruction in Kobe 9/24

Yep, this was great

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Worst Follow-Up of the Year: After an absolutely stunning main event, an electric crowd making the building shake with their stomping of approval, Jon Moxley and Will Ospreay are face to face in the ring having a confrontation and everybody is so excited.... and then David Finlay shows up, knocks them both down with a microphone, destroys the US and UK belts with a novelty hammer and sucks all the life out of the arena. NJPW Power Struggle 11/4

Yeeeaaahhh. Now if it were Gabe Kidd wielding a novelty hammer...

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Most surprising title change - The IWGP Jr Title wins the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Title - DDT Ultimate Party November 12th

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Also forgot

Best Post-Credits Scene: DDT Ultimate Party November 12th

Too much to go blow for blow, but Toru Owashi is a good friend and Take and Ueno are patching things up :3:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Best foreign object: Kazuki Hirata at DDT D-Oh Grand Prix November 26th
Hirata reveals that he keeps a spare set of sunglasses in his trunks just in case his main pair breaks during the course of the match

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shard posted:

So ya'll are saying that NJPW is washed and dying?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

:stare:

This is still only available as a PPV, right? :smith:

Yeah it probably won't be uploaded for a least another couple of months. The vk upload has Brookes and Haku on comms if you can't wait that long

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shane popping in to let us know the aresehole is probably pretty loose too

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sure am glad I'm at work and get to skip massive chunks of the vod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Honoable Mention for Best Entrance: GoD bring back the Sex Music for Tama's last match - New Beginning in Sapporo Feb 24th

Tama in the face paint and doing the wacky arms to Guerilla Tactics brought me right back to 2014, it was fantastic