Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Half-Life is many things, but an RPG is not one of them.

Regardless, I think one of the reasons FF13 is so disliked for its linearity is because the game rubs your nose in it. The minimap completely removes any concept of there being anything outside of the linear corridors available to you in most of the game. People are willing to accept illusions in place of the real thing in many cases, but FF13 doesn't even bother with illusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Also the last day (last few minutes) is when the sponsor contributions (aside from Yetee and Fangamer who trickle theirs in across the whole marathon) and Twitch revenue get added in. Those usually amount to several hundred thousand dollars in one big chunk at the end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda amazing doing half this poo poo doesn't result in crashes.

It is extremely difficult to get LttP to crash.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was really impressed with Twitch chat this time 'round. Every time I dared to look, they were being super supportive and positive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I subscribe to a couple of other speedrunning charity YouTube channels (RPG Limit Break and European Speedrunner Assembly), and one thing GDQ has over both of them is polish/presentation. GDQ is just a much more professional-looking product most of the time. Everything from the interface to the hosts to even the runners are generally just that extra step above other groups. Part of that is budget/staffing, part of that is experience.

There are other differences as well, of course. RPGLB is exclusively RPGs which are usually long and not always the most interesting to watch, and ESA has language barrier issues.