Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Putting in a final plug/push that there is 24 hours left for people to put in their lists for the subforum's Ton Ten Favorite Active Pro-Wrestlers Thread, please make a list if you haven't already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cross-post:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

impactwrestling.com's preview posted:

The action begins Before the IMPACT, streaming this Thursday at 7:30pm ET (...). After an impressive showing in last year’s Super X-Cup Tournament, Blake Christian makes his IMPACT return against the high-flying Laredo Kid! (...)

Just 48 hours before Mickie James makes history by competing in the WWE Royal Rumble match, the reigning Knockouts World Champion will deliver a State of the Knockouts Address on IMPACT. What will “Hardcore Country” have to say as she prepares to throw 29 other women over the top rope this Saturday in St. Louis? Plus, with tensions rising between her and #1 contender Tasha Steelz, there’s no telling what might happen!

As W. Morrissey prepares to challenge Moose for the IMPACT World Title at No Surrender, he will first face off against not one, not two but eight other competitors in a gargantuan 8-on-1 handicap match this Thursday! The Learning Tree has felt the wrath of Morrissey in recent weeks and now, VSK and Zicky Dice will be joined by other members of Brian Myers‘ Learning Tree in an attempt to exact their revenge.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1486753371889582089?s=20

impactwrestling.com's preview posted:

After months of animosity between the two groups, The IInspiration and The Influence will collide in tag team action this Thursday. What was originally scheduled to be a Knockouts World Tag Team Title clash will now be a grudge match of epic proportions after Tenille Dashwood was deemed unable to compete. Taking her place will be The Influence’s loyal photographer, Kaleb With a K. Which duo will be victorious on IMPACT?

Buckle up for what promises to be an action-packed collision between two of professional wrestling’s most athletic individuals! This Thursday, the Bullet Club’s Chris Bey battles Jake Something and there’s nothing they won’t do to secure the win. Who will leave Fort Lauderdale with all the momentum?

This Thursday, JONAH looks to assert his dominance as the “Top Dog” of IMPACT Wrestling when he goes one-on-one with Johnny Swinger. Two weeks ago on IMPACT, JONAH demolished Raj Singh, sending a message to the entire roster that he is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Will JONAH continue his winning ways or will Johnny Swinger shock the world?

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1486760921431109636?s=20

There's a distinct possibility of Maria & The Less Than Honorable Boys making an appearance plus Jay White & G.O.D. might also show their faces tonight.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 27, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Reality show offering two contracts, DDP and Dory Funk Jr involved https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezo...tling-challenge

quote:

IMPACT Wrestling is teaming with some legends of professional wrestling for a new unscripted series called Pro Wrestling Challenge.

According to a press release issued to WrestleZone, IMPACT Wrestling, Dory Funk Jr. and B. Brian Blair of Fingertip Productions, and Diamond Dallas Page have teamed with executive producer Joel Eisenberg for a new show that “focuses on the real-life sacrifices and dreams of a group of pro wrestling students presently enrolled in wrestling schools around the country.” Compared to the Oscar-nominated documentary Hoop Dreams, Pro Wrestling Challenge will present a “stark, truthful portrayal of pro wrestling stars.”

“We want to explore the draw of taking bumps for a living, and the extreme sacrifices it takes to get there, usually in front of small crowds unless one impresses the right people,” Joel Eisenberg explained. “The personal and professional conflicts portrayed in this program will be entirely unscripted. During the second half of the season, our top prospects will have an opportunity to compete for two developmental deals with IMPACT Wrestling.”

“The show is about dreamers,” says Blair. “Most people who watch wrestling don’t understand the life. The travel, the injuries, even tragedies are very real. We’ll get into it all, and in the end expect to find those two special and diverse winners during the competition aspect to ply their trade with IMPACT Wrestling.”

Unlike other competition-based reality shows, the contestants will not share living quarters. They will remain in their own homes. “Some are homeless,” adds Blair. “They have literally given everything for their dreams.”

“IMPACT Wrestling is excited to partner with this group of professional wrestling legends to develop the next crop of talent,” said Scott D’Amore, Executive VP of IMPACT Wrestling. “From British Boot Camp to Gut Check, IMPACT Wrestling has always been committed to developing talent and creating stars in all corners of the globe. We look forward to collaborating on this series and offering two lucky upstarts a contract with IMPACT Wrestling in 2022.”

Pro Wrestling Challenge is expected to air in late 2022; no other details about the broadcast details were announced as of press time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Unlike other competition-based reality shows, the contestants will not share living quarters. They will remain in their own homes. “Some are homeless,” adds Blair.
What?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Steve Maclin has a giant mouth (literally) and seems like he's actually kind of good? I've only caught his squashes for the most part but that match with Gresham was great imo

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Steve Maclin has a giant mouth (literally) and seems like he's actually kind of good? I've only caught his squashes for the most part but that match with Gresham was great imo

It took a while for Maclin to click, at least with me - the Laredo Kid / Trey Miguel / Steve Maclin three-way from the aptly named Turning Point '2021 was a real eye opener and the Miguel / Maclin singles from Hard To Kill '2022 only cemented the good impression.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

J-Ro posted:

It took a while for Maclin to click, at least with me - the Laredo Kid / Trey Miguel / Steve Maclin three-way from the aptly named Turning Point '2021 was a real eye opener and the Miguel / Maclin singles from Hard To Kill '2022 only cemented the good impression.

:same: He has great chemistry with smaller guys who can pinball off of him. I wasn't sure why they put him in the X division at first, but those two matches made perfect sense.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jay White/GoD Bullet Club and ROH in two back to back segments?

Oops! All Invasions!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The Mickie Rumble appearance was... Fine? Getting eliminated by Lita was probably as good as that could've went.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1487610591195934728?s=20&t=iRb98f7uA09RlK83SQVo3g

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In related Rumble results:

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1487639145950236673

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

this an ugly shirt https://shopimpact.com/collections/featured-shirts/products/deonna-purrazzo-the-champ-champ-is-here-t-shirt?variant=42383513223392

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mickie rumble appearance felt like she had a list of demands. Was that the first time she got to use her Hardcore Country song?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I guess impact designs their merch in MSPaint now

Nothing will ever beat the cum shirt though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pinche Rudo posted:

I guess impact designs their merch in MSPaint now

Nothing will ever beat the cum shirt though

RDV

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

coconono posted:

Mickie rumble appearance felt like she had a list of demands. Was that the first time she got to use her Hardcore Country song?

Yes, otherwise it would be that (totally not) "Hey Mickie" rip-off.

ART

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

I'm almost certain the graphic and announcers saying Impact WOMEN'S champion is probably some WWE panic over the Knockout branding being sexist

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 4, 2022

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't believe anyone has ever purchased a TNA/Impact shirt that wasn't part of one of Don West's brown bag specials.

Get well big man

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

I'm almost certain the graphic and announcers saying Impact WOMEN'S champion is probably some WWE panic over the Knockout branding being sextet.

probably too stupid to understand how to change the title graphics.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering NXT 2.0, I don’t think WWE is worried about sexism.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Brandi Rhodes' favorite Impact wrestler Josh Alexander is in action tomorrow (among many other things). Announced matches:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1488693656634605568
https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1488889954943975427
https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1488980551784710146
https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1488648362748375044

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can watch this week live for a change!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cardona is now his GCW character, and hell, I'm glad.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

That main was extremely my kind of match, I love a well oiled multi-man.
Masha murdered another jobber so the show was good, again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah Impact's run is really strong right now. They've got a bunch of factions, can generally get one really good match to TV a week and a whole bunch of wrestlers Tony Khan wouldn't know what to do with.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

yeah Impact's run is really strong right now. They've got a bunch of factions, can generally get one really good match to TV a week and a whole bunch of wrestlers Tony Khan wouldn't know what to do with.

It's fast becoming the "good 3rd option in the US" everyone wanted now that AEW is super packed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lance Storm

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1489734457338699780

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Laredo Kid https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/02/06/laredo-kid-confirms-that-hes-signed-to-impact-wrestling/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That’s a pretty good signing, but not the Earth-shattering signing I made in the 2022 predictions thread.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Really glad Impact didn't pick up THE TITAN

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
So, as things have been pointed out to me, and as I want to see what the Jay White is up to, I might slowly be acclimating to being able to care about the current day Impact product. In the interest of developing this capacity for enjoyment, I'd like to pay Impact a major compliment.

No other wrestling company in the US is using glossy, moody, downbeat hip-hop music, which has been such a dominant sound in popular music for so long that how nobody else is taking advantage of it is baffling. The current aesthetics on many entrances is excellent. Decay's entrance looks fantastic, Chris Bey's new Bullet Club logo and song are great, Jonah's song is perfect. Even little things like the camera angles on people standing on the turnbuckle really work.

It's hard to get used to the small venue, and sometimes a moment that should've come across as impactful and surprising seems lame when there's so little crowd noise reacting to it, but if I think of it as the organic modern version of the kind of "studio show" that the NWA was more clumsily trying to emulate, it seems more acceptable. And it is a hell of a lot better than fake crowd noise, which I'm growing super aware of and annoyed by lately.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
One of the things Impact Wrestling has that AEW rarely has is the element of surprise with regards to match results. When you watch an episode of Dynamite, you know who is winning a match 90% of the time. I’d put Impact’s predictability at about 50%, and that’s mostly when someone is in line for a title shot. It makes for an intriguing product, if I do say so myself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I check in with Impact stuff every now and again, and it's really evident they improved exponentially over the last few years. Even though they have a lot of guys high in the card I really do not give a single gently caress about (Morrissey, Moose, Gallows) there's a lot to like further along the roster and they try to build new guys now and again (Ace Austin is really loving good, seek out his Sabin match from October---he's going to be their AJ Styles in a few years). Not to mention how big of a deal they treat the women's roster, legit fantastic stable there, and they've legit had people like Tessa (RIP) and Jordynne Grace featured toe to toe with male workers.

I actually hope a lot of the WWE releases go there instead just because they could use more momentum and the AEW roster is really stacked as is.

Edward Mass posted:

One of the things Impact Wrestling has that AEW rarely has is the element of surprise with regards to match results. When you watch an episode of Dynamite, you know who is winning a match 90% of the time. I’d put Impact’s predictability at about 50%, and that’s mostly when someone is in line for a title shot. It makes for an intriguing product, if I do say so myself.

sometimes this results in very weird poo poo but I can't argue with this logic; they're not afraid to throw a wrench into the machine and trade off belts

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Larry D has left the promotion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

When you watch an episode of Dynamite, you know who is winning a match 90% of the time. I’d put Impact’s predictability at about 50%,

SEE NORMALLY,

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I hope Impact is able to claw its' way back to bigger and better things - there's a bunch of cool people putting in good work there and they deserve to be appreciated... Also having two good U.S. TV promotions would be real nice.

On the card for tonight:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491838123269136384

Still laughing at Morrissey dispatching the whole 8-member Learning Tree team by himself those couple weeks back. You can't teach that.

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491879652868046860

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491894751028674561

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491471961855303688

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491909850036457473

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Honor No More is gonna win, so Alexander not being on a losing team probably helps him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"the learning tree" sounds like a preschool windows 95 piece of software, might be the dumbest name for a faction I've heard in a long time

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

DLC Inc posted:

"the learning tree" sounds like a preschool windows 95 piece of software, might be the dumbest name for a faction I've heard in a long time

Good news! They’re a bunch of geeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Learning Tree contains Zicky Dice being taught how to be a jobber by "100 match losing streak Curt Hawkins" Brian Myers, which should be all you need to know about it.