Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

VSK and Zicky are the perfect flunkies to be put thru tables as shown during that main event yesterday - certainly helped to make that main look more explosive. I'm unashamedly enjoying Morrissey's almost a face turn just because Moose is such a goddamned rear end in a top hat.

The opening segment with Josh and Scott felt clunky at times, but it feels like another step in a long term angle (the Jimmy Jacobs' Special) and feels like it should lead to Alexander going on a tear just to spite D'Amore and get back to that title. RIP Big Kon.

That piece of poo poo Cardona running around in a Jordynne Grace t-shirt, how dare he?

Please do not bully your broadcast personnel, Gisele:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1491965251058913293?s=20&t=rThZSIPyJYNU5vpiT07_hQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ugh, is Matt Rehwoldt a Qanon? On commentary he said he couldn't wait for Impact to "stand up and stand by" against Honor No More, and that's not really a thing you say these days without political intent.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If he is, he’s kept it quiet. And I don’t know a whole lot of quiet Q-types.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

If he is, he’s kept it quiet. And I don’t know a whole lot of quiet Q-types.
I might just be hyper-aware of it because Striker would drop WWG1WGA references occasionally.

The whole Bullet Club/VBD/Good Brothers segment last week was kind of silly because Eric Young is accusing them of keeping something going that they "didn't create", and Gallows is talking about how BC should be thanking them for being the predecessors who made the rest of them rich. Meanwhile Tama Tonga - the only actual founding member present out of all of them - is standing right there and nobody thought to mention it.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

So what's the opinion on the Josh Alexander not being able to extend his work visa situation? For a hot minute I thought it could be a work but unless they're leaning 100% into it the indie dates getting cancelled make it seem real. A bummer either way because I really like the dude.

Speaking of Alexander - his last week's victim is getting an another go on BTI this week:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1493993580314210305?s=20&t=4wFOUvKTBr2Bfs1dPZN5Sg

Impact proper is gonna be quite an eventful evening as well:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1493631191819309058?s=20&t=4wFOUvKTBr2Bfs1dPZN5Sg
https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1493963388715552770?s=20&t=4wFOUvKTBr2Bfs1dPZN5Sg

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m guessing we haven’t seen the last of Josh Alexander in the United States, but I don’t know how work visas work.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

J-Ro posted:

So what's the opinion on the Josh Alexander not being able to extend his work visa situation? For a hot minute I thought it could be a work but unless they're leaning 100% into it the indie dates getting cancelled make it seem real.

Work visas are usually applied only for the duration of whatever project you're doing - such as the length of a contract - and then expire after the job is complete. An employer can sponsor a worker to have the visa extended if the work continues, but in most cases the employer has to sufficiently prove that the same job can't be done by a domestic worker. In the entertainment business, it's pretty easy to convince the government that the production requires a specific talent, so usually there aren't major snags like this unless the system is really backed up (which it has been all throughout the pandemic, since immigration offices were closed for 18 months). But this gets expensive the more foreign workers you employ, and indie promotions with per-appearance dates aren't going to be able to pull off that kind of thing if the talent's main sponsor (Impact in this case) isn't extending it.

Josh Alexander's Impact contract is ending this month (I think this specific weekend, actually), which is more than a little coincidental: If he was already leaving Impact, Anthem wouldn't be sponsoring his visa anymore. So he's either trying for more money from Anthem and sitting out while they come to terms, or he's negotiating with another promotion who will pay him more and also sponsor him once his Impact contract is officially up. The canceled indie dates point to the latter. Dude knows what he's worth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I just read it as Alexander is looking for a new job/better deal and this is the cost of negotiation. I’d be surprised if Impact didn’t offer him a renewal since he’s been their best new star. But maybe he wants more or to go elsewhere.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It'd suck to see him go unless it's to AEW (I hate being that guy but the matchups with him would be insane enough it's a rare time to justify that). Dude deserved a real run with the world title, as cool as the moment was for him winning and immediately losing to Moose, I thought it was always going to end with him getting it back and getting some decent time on top

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Chris James 2 posted:

It'd suck to see him go unless it's to AEW (I hate being that guy but the matchups with him would be insane enough it's a rare time to justify that). Dude deserved a real run with the world title, as cool as the moment was for him winning and immediately losing to Moose, I thought it was always going to end with him getting it back and getting some decent time on top

Yeah, that storyline not getting finished bums me out but I hope Josh gets paid what he's worth - if that means moving on then oh well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If he does become All Elite, I'd be real nervous if I was Scorpio Sky

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm not sure how NJPW pays for North American-based wrestlers but he'd be a great asset for Strong and the occasional Japan tour.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure how NJPW pays for North American-based wrestlers but he'd be a great asset for Strong and the occasional Japan tour.

I mean, he’s done a bunch of NJPW Strong tapings, and I’m certain he would do a tour of Japan if we weren’t in a pandemic.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t know if it will happen Saturday, but I’d put even odds on the payoff to Purrazzo’s open challenge being Taya Valkyrie winning the AAA Reina de Reinas Championship.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rachael Ellering is done with the company, per Fightful

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, that was a short run. I did wonder what happened that she was removed from the Ultimate X match last month.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Rachael seems like a really nice person so I hope everything works out for her, but she's not a good wrestler - there's only so much a team-up with Jordynne can do.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The blood money show in another company may have attention, but there's also an Impact event today!

Preshow on Youtube at 7:30PM Eastern
Trey Miguel vs John Skyler in a nontitle match
Tenille Dashwood vs Jessicka Havok

No Surrender on Impact+ at 8PM Eastern
Black Taurus vs JONAH
Chris Bey vs Ace Austin vs Jake Something vs Speedball Mike Bailey in a fourway for #1 contendership to Trey's X title
Honor No More (Matt Taven, Mike Kanellis, PCO, Vincent and Kenny King) vs Team Impact (Chris Sabin, Rhino, Eddie Edwards, Rich Swann and Steve Maclin) in a ten-man tag match; if Honor No More win they stay, if they lose they're gone
Deonna Purrazzo open challenge for either the ROH women's title or the AAA Reina de Reinas title
Matt Cardona defends the Digital Media title against Jordynne Grace
Good Bros (Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson) defend the tag titles against GoD (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa)
Mickie James defends the Knockouts title against Tasha Steelz
Eric Young vs Switchblade Jay White
Moose defends the world title against W Morrissey

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s also alternate commentary with an all-women announce booth, which is neat.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The pre-show (with Dashwood v Havok and Miguel v Skylar) starts in ~5 minutes.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

You know, for ten bucks I’m watching this. Blame the knife pervert but even besides him it looks like a good show.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

That opener was easy worth five bucks by itself. Really coherent for a fatal four-way — all four of those guys are quick enough to keep the action going without any contrived sitting around on the outside. Great spots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The alt commentary is basically more just Victoria, SoCalVal and Traci hanging out and watching the show, like only about 20% sticking to kayfabe.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 20, 2022

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Impact crowd loves the despicable knife pervert!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Aergo posted:

Impact crowd loves the despicable knife pervert!

I mean :same:

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Speedball is remarkably gullible.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Is D'Lo not doing commentary anymore? I like him a lot more than Aiden English so far

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Whoa Grace's sliding lariat. She hits pretty hard, this is good.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

What the gently caress, Jay?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I suppose that plays into the idea that Doc and Karl were meant to be mainly working for NJPW and just working Impact the way Jay is.

OH poo poo and because Jay's working with the Elite in AEW! (I realise that probably wasn't a thing when this was taped)

EDIT: Oh, wait, this is legit live, so yeah, maybe that is the angle!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 20, 2022

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Fuckin Knife Pervert

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Digging this big man match. Neither of these guys are exceptional but this is pretty hard hitting.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Thanlis posted:

Digging this big man match. Neither of these guys are exceptional but this is pretty hard hitting.

Moose is pretty great imo

Real good match

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
man this ring of honor team sucks, I love PCO but I don't want to see any of these other dudes at all

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Just drop Vincent and I'd be okay with it.

Thanlis posted:

Yeah, those two just kept swinging, it ruled.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Roasted Donut posted:

man this ring of honor team sucks, I love PCO but I don't want to see any of these other dudes at all

I feel like the main problem with Impact for me is that they had too many journeymen JAGs hanging around their mens singles division and then they decided to book an angle where a bunch more invaded

I can't believe they did the Jay/G.O.D. turn on Impact especially with restrictions in Japan loosening up, wonder what's goin on there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Every other Bullet Club leader got betrayed, of course Jay's the smart one that knows not to wait

Never tell a man called Switchblade about backstabbing

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Every other Bullet Club leader got betrayed, of course Jay's the smart one that knows not to wait

Never tell a man called Switchblade about backstabbing

Oh, I would LOVE if Jay goes "so hey, remember that thing on Twitter where it seemed like you were siding with the House of Torture over me? And your whole "firing squad" thing? Yeah, gently caress that and gently caress you."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jake Something's been really impressive lately. Impact has good big dudes for the most part.

I figured his entrance theme didn't sound like in-house music, so I looked it up and it's by a pretty good instrumental French prog-metal band called Stömb.

xbilkis posted:

I can't believe they did the Jay/G.O.D. turn on Impact especially with restrictions in Japan loosening up, wonder what's goin on there
Most likely it's NJPW trying to generate more interest in their American expansion. Bullet Club USA is pretty much an entire sub-group at this point, so it gets more eyes on their product if they can push some intrigue elsewhere in the west: "Oh, you want to see what happens next? Tune into NJPW Strong!"

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Oh, I would LOVE if Jay goes "so hey, remember that thing on Twitter where it seemed like you were siding with the House of Torture over me? And your whole "firing squad" thing? Yeah, gently caress that and gently caress you."

Jay doesn't seem like the kind of person who would hold a grudge for several yea... no wait, you're right, he'd totally do that.