Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Wins the Super Bowl?
The Bills
Buccs
The Cowboys, but gently caress 'em
The Eagles somehow
Bill Belichek and then he's dragged to Hell
Out of nowhere with the folding chair, the Jets!
Some stupid clown team nobody thought would make it
The Chiefs again but this time nobody cares
The Titans (goodbye Vrabel's dick)
The Bengals because lol really?
View Results

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

wyoak posted:

i did not like the timeout but i don't think it changed anything

Raiders are running Jacobs there no matter what, if he gets the first it's the same as it happened, if he gets stuffed the Raiders either kick with 35 seconds left or 2 seconds left from 4 yards further back

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wyoak posted:

because their run defense was trash and he wanted to talk it over

the talking it over didn't work though

Yeah I feel like I'm insane here, they just wanted to get their defense set (and since their defense sucked it didn't work). That wasn't a time out to save time on the clock, they'd have called it right after the play was over and not after the Raiders huddled and took forever to get to the line.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Kalli posted:

It forced the Raiders to try.

They could've run a dumb BS play on 3rd and 4, then at best, tried a super long FG or let the game die.

Instead by taking that timeout, the Raiders had to run a real play and convert it

good point, this is all the chargers fault.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kalli posted:

They could've run a dumb BS play on 3rd and 4, then at best, tried a super long FG or let the game die.

Instead by taking that timeout, the Raiders had to run a real play and convert it
it didn't change anything about what the Raiders HAD to do, Staley left them with a clock that they could run out

maybe the Raiders decided during the timeout to kick the FG instead of just kneeling but the Raiders always had the opportunity to end the game with a FG

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope the son of Al Davis drunkenly gambles the Raiders away to Putin at the Venetian in a high stakes poker game and they have to live in Siberia

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Kalli posted:

They had to snap the ball on 3rd down anyway; I don't know why you wouldn't expect a run there and they still could have just let the game die. The Chargers were presumably thinking "Let's get our defense set so we can stop this run that's 100% coming and they're less inclined to try a field goal," but they couldn't stop the run

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

xbilkis posted:

Yeah I don't get it; the timeout did nothing

Raiders situation: Run again on 3rd and 4, run the clock down to 01 seconds, kick a FG or whatever, let the game end.

By calling a TO, they force the Raiders to run a play, they then call a TO again, and if the Raiders then miss the long FG, they have ~30 seconds to try and win the game themselves.

They broke the honorable code, so they were struck down.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheKostos/status/1480409369380593665

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

wyoak posted:

it didn't change anything about what the Raiders HAD to do, Staley left them with a clock that they could run out

agreed but the other narrative has taken off. the raiders still could have run out the clock if they wanted to

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

He also said they wanted to win no matter what, so

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah so all of you defending the timeout gotta shut up about it now. It was a horrible decision that ended their season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It was inconceivable to me the Chargers coaching staff could be that dumb.

Welp.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kirios posted:

Yeah so all of you defending the timeout gotta shut up about it now. It was a horrible decision that ended their season.

this

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Do we think the Raiders don't kick on the next play without the timeout?

Carr can say whatever but i don't see how a TO changes whether or not the Raiders coaching staff wants to attempt a kick

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That time out just makes me feel really suspicious. It's better to let them do whatever quickly and play with your timeout on the field goal. It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

well, at least that 4th down from deep in their own territory turned out to not be the worst call of the game

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gj Herbert, but jesus, everything else

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Derek Carr has a double set of eyelashes, idiots, not eyeliner

Ffs know your freak QB facts (Carr's lashes, Ben's disgusting gray hog, etc) before you post

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you do some Madden NFL poo poo and go for it on 4th on your own 20, you get what's coming to you one way or the other.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Darko posted:

That time out just makes me feel really suspicious. It's better to let them do whatever quickly and play with your timeout on the field goal. It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

They weren't going to take a timeout on the field goal because they wanted time to expire. They took the timeout on third down with negligible time left on the playclock and an amount of time on the game clock that would ensure the Raiders only needed to snap the ball one more time

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Make them play in the mls stadium until the end of time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've never been so mad about a game I don't give a poo poo about

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the problem with the timeout is LA came out of the timeout and gave up a 10 yard run up the middle when the timeout was probably spent talking about how they're going to run up the middle

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

as,dfklasjdfkas;fdajsdf

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've never been so mad about a game I don't give a poo poo about

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

half legit question: is this a fireable offense by staley?

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Staley was a position coach at an NCAA D-III college as recently as five years ago huh. Who could've guessed

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

They weren't going to take a timeout on the field goal because they wanted time to expire. They took the timeout on third down with negligible time left on the playclock and an amount of time on the game clock that would ensure the Raiders only needed to snap the ball one more time

The Raiders were obviously just running and wasting time because they're in the playoffs either way with that little time left. You give them a chance to design a run instead of just hurry up offense running, you give yourself a bigger chance to lose. Just stack the box.

It makes no sense at all with the tie outcome being the playoffs.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

herbert will lead us to the promised land

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In my haste I ordered wings for tomorrow and there's no Monday Night Football. Guess I'll catch up on some shows I've backlogged.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Fate Accomplice posted:

no
do we really think Bisaccia was like "well guess i'll just kneel here on 3rd down OH THEY CALLED TIMEOUT DID THEY"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1480409706095120385

Herbert should demand Staley be fired or hold out.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

god i hope so gently caress him and the chargers forever while he's their head coach

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm just so fuckin' disappointed and I don't give a poo poo about any of these teams

Fire Staley

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlfredJF/status/1480410642377027589

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wyoak posted:

no
do we really think Bisaccia was like "well guess i'll just kneel here on 3rd down OH THEY CALLED TIMEOUT DID THEY"

I know I seen a coach or two suddenly chuck it deep after a spite TO by the other team

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i mean i guess it's possible but idk if you can predict that if you're staley

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

To a question of “did the time out change your mindset?” Carr replied, “um, yeah”.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

In my haste I ordered wings for tomorrow and there's no Monday Night Football. Guess I'll catch up on some shows I've backlogged.

There is in fact football on Monday night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

wyoak posted:

no

Darko posted:

The Raiders were obviously just running and wasting time because they're in the playoffs either way with that little time left. You give them a chance to design a run instead of just hurry up offense running, you give yourself a bigger chance to lose. Just stack the box.

It makes no sense at all with the tie outcome being the playoffs.

^^^^^^^^^^