Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

For those of you who can't get enough of writing lists, here's the Top Ten Favourite Tag Teams thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

This was a very interesting thread to read, thanks for all the work you put into it!

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Great thread, thanks for putting this all together Jerusalem!

Love that Bryan’s reclaimed his spot as the absolute best, it’s proof positive that the guy has been held back for years. Can’t wait to see how 2022 shakes out for AmDrag. :allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Thank you, J-Ru, for reminding me that St. Patrick's Penta existed. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I promise (really promise!) that I'll get up a stats thing sometime in the next week or two, as opposed to six months like last time!

SG Bamboo posted:

For funsies I picked out my ten from J-Ru's big list and to no great shock it's a hell of a dropoff after Miyu (and Katsu). My favourites should be more popular dammit, especially Hino. I love that big beefy bastard, he's such a hoss :allears:

This is quite a cool idea! I love that you gave Tenma 10 of her 12 points :3:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

Insert here a four overlapping circles labelled indie fans, AEW fans, WWE fans and puro fans and at the very centre BRYAN DANIELSON

Aw yeah it all came together

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

gently caress yeah Dragon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Far faster than the six month delay for last year's stats, only two weeks later here are relevant/mildly interesting statistics from our latest iteration of our favorite wrestlers thread. These would have been done sooner except that while running through the stats I discovered I had somehow added Akira (the Death Samurai!) to every relevant section of the spreadsheet EXCEPT for the actual final ranking :doh: I fixed that, it didn't actually alter stats much at all since I'd included them in the appropriate promotions/ages section etc, but I have no idea how I missed it.

As always, we start with the easy stuff. This year we had 103 Goons post lists of their Top 10 Favorite Active Pro-Wrestlers, significantly up from the 65 in 2020's thread and only a little below the 114 from 2019's. However, in terms of the individual wrestlers selected, this year was the highest ever as 212 wrestlers were listed, topping the 186 from 2020 and the 202 from 2019. Of those 212 wrestlers, 58 were women (57 in 2020, 46 in 2019) and 154 were men (129 in 2020, 157 in 2019) though of course these are broad categories, I've listed according to my best understanding of the gender they identify with. In terms of promotions, 27 promotions were represented along with a broad "Independents" Category which this year I rolled Miscellaneous/unidentified Joshi wrestling into as well, surpassing the 25 (+Independents) promotions listed in 2020.

I was unable to get a complete listing of ages for all of the submitted wrestlers, so the following data is not necessarily accurate:
  • The youngest wrestler submitted was Marcus Mathers at 18 years (in 2019 it was Mikoto Shindo and in 2020 it was AZM, both at the same age).
  • The oldest wrestler submitted was Black Terry, who at 69 years old blew away the 54-years-old Yoshinari Ogawa and Jushin Liger who topped out the ages for 2020 and 2019 respectively. We had 10 wrestlers over the age of 50 this year, and 3 over the age of 60 (Sting, Atsushi Onita & Black Terry).
  • The average age was 32.99, younger than 2020's 33.2 and very slightly above 2019's average of 32.8. The 2021 average age is roughly the age of Adam Cole, All Ego Ethan Page, Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Bianca Belair, Hiromu Takahashi, Hyper Misao, Joey Janela, Juhana "King Kong" Karhula, Kento Miyahara, Max Caster, Nick Jackson, Stu Grayson, Syuri, Trish Adora & Yunamon. For the first time since we started these threads, Kazuchika Okada is older than the average age of listed wrestlers.
  • The youngest women this year were Aoi, AZM & Suzu Suzuki at 19 years old. The oldest woman was once again Emi Sakura, at 45. She is still younger than AJA Kong, who in 2019 was the oldest listed woman at 48.
For the first time since we started these threads, the overall winner of the rankings was also the wrestler to get the most #1 votes. Boy did he get a lot too, and instead of looking at the usual breakdown of how the top ten ranked by list places, we're going to take a special look at Bryan Danielson's extraordinary domination of the points total:

So what does this mean? Well, frankly it means that Punch Sport Pagoda loving LOVES Bryan Danielson, to a crazy degree! With 167 points more than his nearest competitor, Danielson lead the pack from the end of Day 1 all the way through the last, and was never close to being beaten. If you took away all of his #1 rankings, he still would have placed third and would have only been 13 points away from 2nd place! If you took away all his #1 AND #2 rankings he would still have placed 5th! Take away his #1, #2 AND #3 rankings and he STILL would have finished 5th! If you have ONLY included his #1 rankings and nothing else, he would have.... still finished 5th! Hell, if you had ONLY counted his #2 rankings and nothing else he would have placed equal 9th with Kris Statlander! In fact even if you only counted his #3 rankings and NOTHING else he still would have been in the Top 20 and placed 19th! He does even better lower down, you could ONLY count his #4 rankings and he ranks as high as 15th! Take out ALL his #1 - #4 rankings and he's still in the Top 20, with a 17th equal placing with Orange Cassidy!

As noted, Danielson scored more points than ANYBODY ever has in any iteration of this thread, INCLUDING the Top Ten Favorite Wrestlers of ALL time posted way back in 2007!

2007: Ric Flair - 492 Points
2019: Kazuchika Okada - 505 Points
2020: Hangman Adam Page - 292 Points
2021: Bryan Danielson - 558 Points

Yes, Danielson obliterates all of them, the closest to his points totals aren't even all that close and Ric Flair is widely considered by many one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time (regardless of a shitload of issues) and Kazuchika Okada is of course a living God who graces our realm with his divine presence. Danielson spent a long time in WWE and somehow seemed like just largely just another guy, once great but probably a little past it and just biding his time for a comfortable retirment... and then he returned to ACTUAL professional wrestling and it was like he never left. There is NOBODY, no wrestler, past or present that has ever gotten anything close to the love that Bryan Danielson engenders from Punch Sport Pagoda. He is it, this subforum's favorite pro-wrestler, even when other voted favorites are taken into account. It was an incredible result, and an incredible achievement, by an incredible wrestler.

But of course there were plenty of other wrestlers who got listed too, 211 more in fact! For anybody insane enough to be interested in the math, here is a complete ranked listing of every vote made. Thank God for Excel and automated counting:

While the point of the thread was to see who our favorites for 2021 were, it's also useful for showing us who has become MORE popular since 2020, as well as who has lost popularity. Here is a breakdown of the most significant changes between 2020 and 2021 rankings, either due to massive shifts in rankings or significant shifts from high (or low) rankings in 2020. Of course, ranking differences alone don't tell the full story given there were 63 ranks in 2021 but only 43 in 2020, which I've attempted to acount for:

Notables:
Miyu Yamashita +17 - from 30/43 in 2020 to 13/63 in 2021.
Chuck Taylor +14 - from 30/43 in 2020 to 16/63 in 2021.
Tay Conti +7 - from 43/43 in 2020 to 36/63 in 2021.
Chris Brookes +6 - from 35/43 in 2020 to 29/63 in 2021.
Asuka -18 - from 17/43 in 2020 to 35/63 in 2021.... but STILL the top ranked wrestler from WWE!
Minoru Suzuki -17 - from 9/43 in 2020 to 26/63 in 2021.
Zack Sabre Jr. -17 - from 12/43 in 2020 to 29/63 in 2021, and the first time in 3 threads he didn't rank in 12th place.
Hikaru Shida -15 - from 17/43 in 2020 to 32/63 in 2021.
John Silver -14 - from 9/43 in 2020 to 23/63 in 2021.
Jon Moxley -9 - from 2/43 in 2020 to 11/63 in 2021.
Orange Cassidy -9 - from 8/43 in 2020 to 17/63 in 2021.
Tomohiri Ishii -9 - from 7/43 in 2020 to 16/63 in 2021.
Leyla Hirsch 0 - The same ranking, but 43/43 in 2020 and 43/63 in 2021!
WALTER 0 - The same ranking, but 43/43 in 2020 and 43/63 in 2021!

Falls From Grace:
Yuka Sakazaki -51 - from 11/43 AND the top woman wrestler in 2020 to 62/63 in 2021!
Drew McIntyre -44 - from 19/43 in 2020 to 63/63 in 2021.
Go Shiozaki -40 - from 18/43 in 2020 to 48/63 in 2021.
Hiromu Takahashi -37 - from 5/43 in 2020 to 42/63 in 2021.
Kota Ibushi -37 - from 10/43 in 2020 to 47/63 in 2021.
Ricky Starks -37 - from 14/43 in 2020 to 51/63 in 2021.
Roman Reigns -37 - from 22/43 in 2020 to 59/63 in 2021.
Switchblade Jay White -34 - from 28/43 in 2020 to 62/63 in 2021.
Toru Yano -30 - from 24/43 in 2020 to 54/63 in 2021.
Abadon -29 - from 34/43 in 2020 to 63/63 in 2021.
Utami Hayashishita -26 - from 28/43 in 2020 to 54/63 in 2021.
Trent? -25 - from 25/43 in 2020 to 50/63 in 2021.
Taichi -23 - from 9/43 in 2020 to 32/63 in 2021.
Testuya Naito -20 - from 20/43 in 2020 to 40/63 in 2021.

Miraculous Ascensions:
Kris Statlander +24 - from 33/43 in 2020 to 9/63 in 2021.... AND the highest ranked woman wrestler!
Bryan Danielson +22 - from 23/43 in 2020 to 1st place finish in 2021 AND most points EVER in these threads.
Penta El Zero M +21
Kazuchika Okada +20 - from 27/43 in 2020 to 7/63 in 2021. Won the 2019 thread, returned to the top ten in 2021.

In addition to these, there were a number of wrestlers who featured as Top Ten Favorites in 2020 who disappeared in 2021. Some for understandable reasons, some gigantic surprises. There may also be a few who changed names and I just didn't pick up on it. Whatever the case, here are those wrestlers who were good enough to be listed as some of the absolutely favorite wrestlers for goons in 2020 who didn't even rate a mention in 2021:

Alex Shelley, Angel Ortiz, Angelico, Aron Stevens, Bayley, Becky Lynch, Ben-K, Black Taurus, Bray Wyatt, Brian Cage, BxB Hulk, Cara Noir, Charlotte Flair, Chris Dickinson, Chris Jericho, Daisuke Sekimoto, Diamante, Don Fujii, Dragon Kid, Eita, Frankie Kazarian, Goldberg, Hideki Suzuki, Hikaru Sato, Jeff Cobb, Jordan Oliver, Jungle Kyona, Kaito Ishida, Kaori Yoneyama, Keisuke Okuda, Keith Lee, Konami, Kyle O'Reilly, Marko Stunt, Masaaki Mochizuki, Masashi Takeda, Matt Sydal, Matthew Justice, Mayu Iwatani, Meiko Satomura, Mikoto Shindo, Momo Watanabe, Mr. Brodie Lee, Neil Diamond Cutter, Otis, Rhea Ripley, Ricky Marvin, Rina Yamashita, Risa Sera, Rohit Raju, Saki Kashima, Sakura Hirota, SANADA, Sareee, Sasha Banks, Saya Iida, Shoko Najakima, Shotzi Blackheart, Sonya Deville, Stark Adder, Starlight Kid, Super Sasandango Machine, Tadasuke, Taiji Ishimori, Takashi Sugiura, The Butcher, The Hoodfoot, Tony Deppen, Toshiyuki Sakuda, Trish Adora, Viktor Tykki, Willie Mack, Yoshiko, Yoshinari Ogawa, Yuki Arai, Yuki Ueno & Yukio Sakaguchi.

Conversely, here are the wrestlers who fell out between 2019 and 2020 who made triumphant (or at least limping) returns to Top Ten lists in 2021:

Malakai (formerly Aleister) Black, Andrade El Idolo (formerly Andrade "Cien" Almas), BIG E, Effy, Hirooki Goto, Io Shirai, Jamie Hayter, Joey Janela, Kagetsu, Luchasaurus, MAO, Matt Tremont, Rey Mysterio & Xavier Woods.

Finally, as with last year I decided to keep a running tally of how the results looked at the end of each voting day. This will demonstrate of course Bryan Danielson's domination, but also show just how in flux the Top 20 was throughout the course of the eligibility period (and as a bonus, how crazy poo poo was on the first day as each list wildly changed EVERYTHING):

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnergeticThisChital-mobile.mp4

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But wait... there's more! We all predicted and got a consensus view as a result, but who is the most (and least) in tune with the Punch Sport Pagoda mindset? I kept track of all of your Top Ten Lists and compared them to our final results. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the overall top ten, I gave that poster 1 point. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the EXACT place as they did on the overall top ten, I gave that poster 2 points (thus a perfect match to the overall top ten would be worth 20 points).

So who knows us better than we know ourselves? Barreft, that's who! With 10 points, Barreft successfully picked 6 of the wrestlers who made the Top 10, and got four of them in the exact right position. Twin Cinema was close behind on 9 points, also correctly picking 6 wrestlers but only getting the top 3 right (they believed TOO much in Thunder Rosa, and it cost them the point!). Conrad Birdie, DeepDickPizza and neoaxd also did well with 8 points, with DeepDickPizza having the most number of correctly picked wrestlers in their Top Ten (7) but only getting one position exactly right (Hangman Adam Page in 3rd place).

abraham linksys, Big Dave, GEORGE W BUSHI, J-Ro, Senerio & SG Bamboo all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10, while ItohRespectArmy had an incomplete list (5 wrestlers listed only, guess who their #1 pick was!?!) in addition to getting 0 points. But... this was a list of their personal favorites and they can like whoever the hell they want!

code:
Barreft			10
Twin Cinema		9
Conrad Birdie		8
DeepDickPizza		8
neoaxd			8
Artelier		7
BodyMassageMachine	7
graph			7
IcePhoenix		7
Jerusalem		7
Kaveman			7
Psycho Mantits		7
Sandman McMahon		7
Scruffy the janitor	7
A Real Horse		6
Benne			6
duckdealer		6
Fad			6
Hellblazer187		6
Jordan7hm		6
Kennel			6
Purple Monkey		6
Tampa Bae		6
Thanlis			6
The Croc		6
The Dang Dad		6
Wintermutant		6
xbilkis			6
Beef Jerky Robot	5
Bonk			5
Cavauro			5
Cerebral Bore		5
Iggy Igsen		5
In the Colosseum	5
Insertnamehere31	5
Kevino07		5
NienNunb		5
Pinwiz11		5
Rarity			5
saffi faildotter	5
Seams			5
spamman			5
STONE COLD 64		5
TheIncredulousHulk	5
Venomous		5
a cyborg mug		4
achillesforever6	4
beggar			4
Captain Foo		4
Fish Of Doom		4
flashy_mcflash		4
kitten emergency	4
Kosmo Gallion		4
Kvantum			4
Low Desert Punk		4
Nilbop			4
NutShellBill		4
Oh Snapple!		4
Reality War Criminal	4
SamuraiFoochs		4
Saul Goode		4
schweens		4
Shard			4
ThePariah		4
TUS			4
zimbomonkey		4
Bard Maddox		3
Crapple!		3
Davros1			3
edogawa rando		3
fez_machine		3
Lamuella		3
Lethrom			3
mooseinfants		3
Nostradingus		3
Outlaw Mailman		3
Pat Mustard		3
Rick			3
Sticky Nate		3
Suplex Liberace		3
Thauros			3
Vandar			3
Dimebags Brain		2
forkboy84		2
I Before E		2
Lamentable Dustman	2
Oasx			2
Penguin Patrol		2
sticklefifer		2
Boco_T			1
CombineThresher		1
Edward Mass		1
Eeevil			1
karmicknight		1
Malcolm Excellent	1
pressedbunny		1
stab			1
TV ZOMBIE		1
abraham linksys		0
Big Dave		0
GEORGE W BUSHI		0
ItohRespectArmy		0
J-Ro			0
Senerio			0
SG Bamboo		0
Edit: Also don't forget The Top Ten Favorite Active Tag Teams Thread is currently still going!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 13, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

abraham linksys, Big Dave, GEORGE W BUSHI, J-Ro, Senerio & SG Bamboo all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10, while ItohRespectArmy had an incomplete list (5 wrestlers listed only, guess who their #1 pick was!?!) in addition to getting 0 points. But... this was a list of their personal favorites and they can like whoever the hell they want!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
i can't believe eddie kingston kept me from 0.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Love being the consensus. Thank you, thank you

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Incredible work, thanks for taking all the time to do this. Also, the list just gets me extra hyped to be a wrestling fan these days.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Two of my favourite things in life are wrestling and spreadsheets. This is my favourite thread. Excellent work as always Jru

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

awesome!

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

How did you make this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

i can't believe eddie kingston kept me from 0.

You didn't stop believing in Eddie, he didn't stop believing in you :shobon:

That Dang Dad posted:

Incredible work, thanks for taking all the time to do this. Also, the list just gets me extra hyped to be a wrestling fan these days.

It's so great, wrestling is so fantastic right now :hellyeah:

Saul Goode posted:

How did you make this?

There are a bunch of Bar Chart Race tools online you can either just manually enter the data into or use a csv, and by keeping track of the Top 20 at the end of each day I basically had all the data in my spreadsheet to export out to a CSV with minor edits (the date format can gently caress with things) and then you just need to capture it in some way, I just screen recorded and did some light editing.

In other words....

Sandman McMahon posted:

Two of my favourite things in life are wrestling and spreadsheets.

:hfive:

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jerusalem posted:

There are a bunch of Bar Chart Race tools online you can either just manually enter the data into or use a csv, and by keeping track of the Top 20 at the end of each day I basically had all the data in my spreadsheet to export out to a CSV with minor edits (the date format can gently caress with things) and then you just need to capture it in some way, I just screen recorded and did some light editing.

Legend, thank you!

Count me in on the wrestling/spreadsheets love up :woop:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tihs place is full of haters and traitors. why ponder their top ten favorite active wrestlers? Fool's errand.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

This’ll happen for the MOTYC stats!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
again, the best thread of the year cheers jru :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanlis posted:

This’ll happen for the MOTYC stats!

Nice!

graph posted:

again, the best thread of the year cheers jru :)

Thanks, and thanks to all who said nice things, but most of all thank you to everybody who posted their lists, hope to see you all back again next year! :)