Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

extended vs expanded memory is easy

extended memory is the one people actually used. expanded memory is the one people only ever set up by mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the 68000 was also just really expensive at the time

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

2MB! what kind of king or billionaire would ever own that much memory?!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

is old (80s?) VAX hardware worth anything these days?

I might have a chance to get a substantial pile of stuff basically free (3400/3300/3100 MicroVAXes + tape drives + printers + loads of accessories), but it's two hours away and means hiring a van, so i'd only do it if i can sell off most of it semi-quickly because i don't want it sitting in the garage for 5 years

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Kazinsal posted:

I've never met the guy but DEC folks who worked with him said he thought the entire I/O and userspace processes/daemons model of Unix was obsolete before it even left Bell Labs and it held back small-scale computing for years, and a book that interviewed some folks who worked on NT with him described him as considering Unix system design as his Moriarty a la Sherlock Holmes as well as considering it "a junk operating system designed by a committee of PhDs". steve ballmer pretty much got him on board by telling him it was a chance to write a microcomputer OS that scaled up to servers and minicomputing that would displace Unix. he doesn't do interviews really so it's hard to get first-hand accounts from the man

plz tell me more about VAX i/o vs unix because i know nothing about either

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

the hard drive being missing is a pain because i've heard VAXes are pretty picky about what drives work. the boot drive must be 1.05GB or less for example

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I passed on getting the haul of free VAX stuff. It would have been fun to play with it all but the guy was being shady about exactly what was included. Eventually he let slip that he'd already had people come and pick through the pile, so I figure all the good stuff was gone and he wanted me to drive 90 minutes each way for a van full of 10mb coax ethernet crap and broken printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Disappointing Dollhouse posted:

If you did I'd be real interested in getting my hands on one of the microvax.

Sweevo posted:

I passed on getting the haul of free VAX stuff. It would have been fun to play with it all but the guy was being shady about exactly what was included. Eventually he let slip that he'd already had people come and pick through the pile, so I figure all the good stuff was gone and he wanted me to drive 90 minutes each way for a van full of 10mb coax ethernet crap and broken printers.

i was 50/50 on it for a while, but the guy kept editing things out of the forum post and removing photos, and it turned out he'd been quietly selling off the better items and was trying to con someone into taking away his garbage