Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
lost in the shuffle: virtual 8086 mode which was introduced with the 386. because people didn't want to rewrite their real mode apps intel introduced a mode with similar addressing only translated by the mmu. this enabled things like ems (remember emm386.sys?) where a small window into higher memory ("page frame") was introduced and could be shifted as needed. allegedly even bill gates called it a terrible hack, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

DEC teams survived long after the company itself went under, there were specific projects where decades later there was significant resistance to the intel way of doing things

idk how A20 looms in my head as a giant complication on everything ever, but it wouldn't surprise me if practitioners rarely had to gently caress with it

wasn’t NT developed by ex-DEC people? i remember one of the architects expressing particular scorn at unix for its i/o model (DEC had famously hitched their wagon to VMS)