Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've never seen an alpha system myself. do any of the vintage hardware folks around here have one? what were they like to use? what was good and bad? what were they good at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what were Alpha systems mostly used for? high-end workstations, or servers?

Kazinsal posted:

it's DEC's least interesting ISA

what would you say was their most interesting ISA?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean yeah but i was kinda hoping to get some first-hand stories or maybe even a cool picture from one of the yosposters who keeps old hardware around

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah if a mod wants to amend the thread title to "show/tell me about dec [stuff]" i'm cool w/ that

eschaton posted:

[good post]

thanks!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

anyways there's my giant effortpost on x86 memory management. if I think of anything else about re: the x86 that could be fun and/or I could link back to DEC hardware (sorry for fuckin up your thread OP) I'll put together a batch of thoughts and post 'em.

apology refused. this post was excellent and i would love to see more like it. :swoon:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
where did DEC go for chip fab? did they have their own plant, did they hire others?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lady Radia posted:

the turbo buttonj makes your computer faster, it's right there in the name

i remember my dad being grumpy about "turbo" being used as a word for "fast"

"oh is there a turbine involved? no?? so why did you use the word turbo?!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

AMD spun their fabs off in 2008 and sold a majority share in the resulting company to get rid of like a billion dollars in debt and it kept them afloat long enough to develop Zen, demand for which is high enough that AMD probably wishes they still had their own fabs lol

i would think they're happier with being able to hire TSMC and get bleeding edge fabs, but i could be wrong

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
were 8088s really substantially cheaper to manufacture than 8086s, or was that mostly a market segmentation thing?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JawnV6 posted:

DEC teams survived long after the company itself went under, there were specific projects where decades later there was significant resistance to the intel way of doing things

idk how A20 looms in my head as a giant complication on everything ever, but it wouldn't surprise me if practitioners rarely had to gently caress with it

i'm curious to hear about what the differences were between the DEC way and the Intel way of doing things

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hell yes get that HP hardware in here!

what's the difference between the rp2430 and rp2470 and what did you have to do to make the former think it's the latter?

does MPE/iX normally not boot on the 2430?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

that sounds like something that there is literally nobody smart enough to use correctly

what actually spurred me to start this thread was re-reading a fun article about someone getting bit by speculative execution triggering what sounds like a "nobody smart enough to use correctly" instruction on the xbox360 CPU, and at the very end of the article mentioning that they had cited that as a nasty problem to debug, and the interviewer immediately coming back with “yeah, we hit something similar on the Alpha processor”

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2018/01/07/finding-a-cpu-design-bug-in-the-xbox-360/

quote:

But, the CPU was for a video game console and performance trumped all so a new instruction was added – xdcbt. The normal PowerPC dcbt instruction was a typical prefetch instruction. The xdcbt instruction was an extended prefetch instruction that fetched straight from memory to the L1 d-cache, skipping L2. This meant that memory coherency was no longer guaranteed, but hey, we’re video game programmers, we know what we’re doing, it will be fine.

Oops.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh hey and it looks like that guy recently wrote another article where he dives further into the xbox360 CPU:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2022/01/12/5-5-mm-in-1-25-nanoseconds/#more-3829

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh, that's right. although even without the speculative execution issue it looks like it was still pretty dangerous to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i feel like that microvax ought to be the next yosbbs host