Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

remember having to care about expanded vs extended memory

there are old issues of byte in the internet archive and the ads and reviews for things like dos memory managers make the experience of using a pc back then sound dire. there's no way i wouldn't have been a mac user if i were born early enough to have to make that decision back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lady Radia posted:

i like when companies have their own fab. i dont have a good reason as to why. i think it's neat.

it's great right up until you don't have enough to make to offset their massive costs, which leads to fun things like ibm manufacturing the atari jaguar of all things just to keep the factory bringing money in (not sure if they were actually fabbing any chips for the jaguar but the principle is similar with any factory)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

epitaph posted:

wasn’t NT developed by ex-DEC people? i remember one of the architects expressing particular scorn at unix for its i/o model (DEC had famously hitched their wagon to VMS)

if you add 1 to all the letters in VMS you get WNT #wow #whoa