Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

it’s a decent platform for that, that’s what Andy Tanenbaum & crew did to make MINIX and another group did to create PC/IX

I’d suggest a DEC RT-11 or HP RTE or MPE clone just to be different, should be just as easy

or heck TOPS-10 or TOPS-20 since those had lots of fans

oh man, I wish I had the time to spare to do something weird like this

what would be a good simulation setup to get started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

SIMH is a good simulator for all sorts of vintage mainframes and minicomputers. PCem is pretty much the gold standard for reasonably accurately emulating vintage x86 machines through the 80s and into the early 90s

currently fighting with openwatcom to try to get it to actually link a 16-bit flat binary where I want it to but its linker script format is completely different than standard ld and frankly really loving sucks.

I take it that openwatcom is the only viable option for doing a C targeting 8088/86 from a relatively modern system, right?

gonna check out PCem, cheers :tipshat:

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

want to give InterLisp-D a try on an emulated Xerox workstation?

set up an account online.interlisp.org and you even get a persistent workspace

the square-dance crew who used to come into the bar & grill across the street from my place, pre-COVID, used to include the last owners of Medley

I asked after them with one of the folks from the crew not too long before the pandemic, because I was hoping to acquire the InterLisp IP and release it; my understanding had been the person who owned it was a bit of an rear end, but eventually disposition fell on a relative who didn’t have their head up their rear end and who worked with a number of people to enable this to happen

it’s pretty awesome, and mostly a faithful representation of what it’s like to use on real hardware—any misrepresentation is in the near-instantaneous performance, compared to a 16-bit bitslice microcoded CPU whose architecture was derived from the Nova, or the slightly more abstract virtual machine built atop of it

incidentally, the emulation they’re using should also be able to run the Smalltalk and ViewPoint environments, I hope those can also be hosted and shared; Smalltalk in particular is such an amazing system to use, everything is right there and malleable like putty, even moreso on a Lisp Machine

:piss: this is insanely cool