Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xiahou Dun posted:

“That’s taken out of context”

I don't even mean how he'd justify it to his audience or anyone else; I wonder how he'd justify is to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Latest episode is delicious. Someone make a 2004 Alex vs 2024 Alex debate video please.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tsob posted:

I don't even mean how he'd justify it to his audience or anyone else; I wonder how he'd justify is to himself.

I think that’s how he would. For the split second before he just stopped giving a poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think that’s how he would. For the split second before he just stopped giving a poo poo.

I don't know, I think Dan has found enough clips of Alex trying to show that he has a larger purpose and positive effect or somewhat depressed when running up against the idea he isn't that to think that Alex realizing he's the bane of his own, younger existence would sit with him and is not just something he'd brush off. I do not for one second think it'd change him in any meaningful way, but I do think it's the kind of thing that'd keep him awake and drive him to drink (more; not like he needs the excuse) while he wrestles with it before settling on some kind of justification. Which I'd imagine is more likely to involve buying into the system to corrupt it from within or something than just "it's out of context" personally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think on some level he is wrestling with it and it's part of why he's suck a fuckhole. And possibly some of the drinking.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lmao if you think that AJ has any care in the world about how his past self views his current self. He's just on whatever he thinks will make him the most money at the time. Feeling ashamed about yourself requires some sort moral foundation that he does not have.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Xiahou Dun posted:

“That’s taken out of context”

"We watched 5 hours -"
"Out of context clip edited together by media matters"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’d buy all sorts of analyses if you add qualifiers like “at some subconscious level”, but I think Alex fundamentally isn’t that deep.

He’s just not self-aware enough to actually contemplate that level of introspection.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm genuinely curious how Alex would react if someone sat him down and forced him to listen to some of his old recordings from 2004/2005 era, where he's basically railing against his current self. I assume he'd find some way to justify it to himself even if he were to confront that, but it'd be fascinating to see how he'd do so regardless.

The impression I've gotten is that Alex is more than happy to admit he was wrong about something if he can frame that change as part of a process of unraveling a conspiracy.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, as the HBO doc reminded us, even the times he admits he got Sandy Hook "wrong" he pins it on the government for being so untrustworthy. "The globalists lie so much, I was bound to get it wrong at some point! That's just the name of the game!"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It is bizarrely telling that the some of the only self-restraint he's showed in years is that recent clip of someone bringing up KF and him just rapidly shutting it down with zero further comment

like, he is clearly capable of the thought "I should not engage with this whatsoever" but that thought seems to be used very sparingly

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alex would absolutely say something about how much younger and more naive he was, and how he knows the real plan nowadays

You see, after that clip you showed him, he was at a steakhouse eating a chicken fried steak, when he got this sensation, a feeling from God himself that he was gaining the knowledge he would need to bloop bleep fart burp dorp herp derp

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh, hey, in 2005 Alex Jones could pronounce "supremacist"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remembered Jim Semivan but I forgot all about Charlie Freak.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Alex would absolutely say something about how much younger and more naive he was, and how he knows the real plan nowadays

You see, after that clip you showed him, he was at a steakhouse eating a chicken fried steak, when he got this sensation, a feeling from God himself that he was gaining the knowledge he would need to bloop bleep fart burp dorp herp derp

Hang on, I'm confused about the timeline. So the chicken fried steak data download happened later on in life, because it completely changed his worldview from when he was younger, but it must have been before he ate the memory-erasing chili, because he says that the data dump warned him that the dark forces of darkness were going to try to stop him, and to stay strong... but he only recounts that after eating the memory-erasing chili? Then how is he able to remember that? Man, I hope someone got fired for that major plothole. I can't really say I'm a fan of the writing in Alex.vs the Forces of Evil.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

There's a guy animating Knowledge Fight and its pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5fb-onlG0

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When faced with cognitive dissonance, Alex does whatever feels best in the moment and justifies the irreconcilable positions he’s taken by thinking to himself “I’m over the target because I’m taking poo poo and I trust my gut and my gut tells me [X position] feels right.” He repeats that to himself every time he gets called out for inconsistencies in his worldview and it satisfies him enough to continue.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Go RV! posted:

There's a guy animating Knowledge Fight and its pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5fb-onlG0

He's got three up so far. Good poo poo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A thought I never could have predicted ever having while watching the doc :

Neil Heslin looked way better with a beard. He should grow that back out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Did I miss that there’s not an episode today or…?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There is no episode today.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
There has been some talk over on the Hawaii-based reddits that Jones was sighted on the island of Kauai, specifically at a 5-star hotel whose rooms cost $1300 per night. That rumour was swirling on Tuesday, and on Wednesday Dan posted that there would be no Friday episode because Alex was out of studio.

As it happens, the next major bankruptcy hearing is a mediation event held by a retired judge on April 17th and 18th. This was an emergency change in schedule from what was supposed to be a major hearing at the end March, where Judge Lopez was previously threatening to rule from the bench to bring the proceedings on at least one of the BK cases to a relative close.

Edit: Thinking on it, this all makes the "people were coming out of the woodwork to shake my hand and say how much the love me" bits that much more improbable, because given where he is staying, all those supposed people also need to be able to stay at 5-star hotels on the regular.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2024

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This motherfucker keeps putting me to sleep but Jordan won't let me stay asleep.

This episode is an actual form of torture.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh hey, I was also in Hawaii for the '91 eclipse.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SamDabbers posted:

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that deposition

Hey I have some good news for you

https://twitter.com/SebastianMurdoc/status/1777383031478657101
Bankston is in pretty classic territory from having to deal with Alex Jones and his assholes for years

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Piell posted:

Hey I have some good news for you

https://twitter.com/SebastianMurdoc/status/1777383031478657101
Bankston is in pretty classic territory from having to deal with Alex Jones and his assholes for years

Sadly, he seems to have (at least temporarily?) stopped the audio-visual from coming ; there's only a transcript.

Unless Dan wants to do a dramatic reading, we're not gonna get an episode of this anytime soon.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sadly, he seems to have (at least temporarily?) stopped the audio-visual from coming ; there's only a transcript.

Unless Dan wants to do a dramatic reading, we're not gonna get an episode of this anytime soon.

Pretty great read.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Pretty great read.

O obviously I’m gonna read its balls off later. I assumed that went without saying. Later tonight I have date with the transcript and Bela Fleck’s Rhapsody in Blue(grass).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I read the whole thing and it's a lot of musk's lawyer doing a lot to try to obstruct the line of questioning; bankston thankfully knows what to do with that horseshit but I'm a little warier here if only because musk has more capacity to wriggle out of things than Jones ever did. still if anyone can handle this bankston can so I'm real curious to see how this goes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

neongrey posted:

I read the whole thing and it's a lot of musk's lawyer doing a lot to try to obstruct the line of questioning; bankston thankfully knows what to do with that horseshit but I'm a little warier here if only because musk has more capacity to wriggle out of things than Jones ever did. still if anyone can handle this bankston can so I'm real curious to see how this goes.

Yeah. The article is a decent summary. Defendants try to make it seem like the trial is frivolous and the harm trivial. Bankston tries to make the case that musk doesn't care about malice, that soliciting Community Notes with an @cm tag isn't enough to count as fact checking, that he has access to Twitter tools to verify information, that musk's reach impacts millions of people even in replies which escalates the harm he can do, and that his lawyer has no idea how Texas law works. He has a couple lines of questioning that got stymied. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there was a second round based on judge's orders.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 8, 2024

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah that much at least I think is likely

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
These wealthy guys keep finding the most annoying lawyers. What is the combative behavior supposed to accomplish in the deposition? Is it just performance for their moron clients who've seen too many movies?

edit: this musk guy sucks so much

Mauser fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 9, 2024

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mauser posted:

hello and welcome to the Woke Mind Virus

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Like any other job your real goal is to please the boss

And if you're boss is a dumb poo poo that thinks posturing is better than being good at something...well...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mauser posted:

These wealthy guys keep finding the most annoying lawyers. What is the combative behavior supposed to accomplish in the deposition? Is it just performance for their moron clients who've seen too many movies?

Musk can afford to lose so he just wants a lawyer who will be an rear end in a top hat and waste everyone's time.
Just like Alex.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lol they both logged off the zoom before they went off the record. Musk didn't sign the transcript. Spiro asked for it to be made confidential at the end, which isn't allowed - you have to get a protective order ahead of time. Such dumb shits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So how's everyone handling this post eclipse martial law and portals opening to make Doom 2: Hell on Earth (1994) real?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

So how's everyone handling this post eclipse martial law and portals opening to make Doom 2: Hell on Earth (1994) real?

Apparently it was a portal to a gorgeous spring day.

If your idea of hell is having laundry outside and making some spicy grilled tuna with a big salad later, then we've got a loving Event Horizon situation popping off.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh, hell feels like another day at work for me. Probably something to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Hmmm I think I figured these guys out