Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

There are points in that deposition where Alex sounds like such a petulant, sulking child.

I know the show format isn't for everyone, but god, KF clicks with me so hard. The combo of Dan's intense research and the care/caution he takes in being clear about which aspects he's criticizing, together with Jordan screaming and barking and getting extremely pissed... it's like they're expressing the rational and emotional parts of my brain for me. I've tried listening to other abyss-gazing shows with a similar premise and they just don't hit the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

:golfclap:

When my partner wanted to give listening to an episode about Alex Jones a try, I went with 281 because I feel like it's really key in understanding his whole deal. And the absolute funniest part was that my partner, hearing about some of Alex Jones' beliefs and without knowing where the episode was going, went, "Wait, why does this sound exactly like Childhood's End? This is Childhood's End. I'm not crazy, right? Did you ever read that? This is a sci-fi novel." :allears:

Jones really doesn't seem to understand the difference between fiction and reality, between constructing a satisfying narrative and figuring something out. He seems to think that 'investigating in my brain' is a thing that other people do. It absolutely fascinates me whenever I note another thing that can be traced back to, fundamentally, not understanding what imagination really is. I think about the way I feel when I'm writing something and manage to figure out a plot point, and how it seems to map to how Jones reacts when he 'figures out' what the globalists are up to. I've seen it in a lot of weird internet conspiracy circles, particularly people who think 'shifting' is a thing (tl;dr they think they're not daydreaming and are instead actually shifting into alternate dimensions using brain magic). There is a bizarre attitude that imagining is something that a person must actively choose to do, that you think to yourself, "I will imagine a zebra" and then you mentally assemble a zebra. Rather than recognize that this is not how even their own brains work, when they imagine something without conscious choice, they treat it as something they 'realized', a 'download', a 'vision'. You also see it in the way these same people tend to treat anyone who writes hosed-up/horror fiction.

I'm getting up my own rear end with this, I just think it's funny how compatible Alex Jones' worldview is with TikTok kids who think they're guilty of murder because they accidentally imagined too hard.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Sometimes I want to call someone a loser little titty-baby but I've so far managed to avoid sounding completely out of my mind. Which is good because it would be really hard not to follow up with "I renounce Jesus Christ".

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Carlson is just so loving stupid. He's not even an interesting stupid. I can't handle it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I would trust the direct links best for longevity, every other podcast aggregator inevitably decides to update and breaks everything somewhere down the line. Anyone who uses a specific app can just look it up by number, I would assume.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Little Debbie??

She's too small!!!

(Jordan's delivery really got me, I don't know why.)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh drat, Dan is also a high school dropout? :hfive:

Weirdly, California does its own thing for between the ages of 16-18, when you can get a Certificate of Proficiency instead of a GED. You can also get it earlier than 16 if you're in your second semester of your sophomore year. No idea if anyone has tried to speedrun high school by skipping enough grades to glitch through the floor of public school.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Megabound posted:

Yeah, I caught that version of the episode and it was interesting to hear their off air discussion. If I remember if was Dan calling out Jordan for something he said that Dan took as an attack on him and they just had a healthy discussion about it and got on.

I don't think I even really processed the fact that they'd accidentally released the full unedited audio until that part happened. It was sort of a neat look at their friendship and Dan's willingness to cop to his insecurities. Which feels a little voyeuristic of me, but I spend a lot of time listening to these guys every week and it's nice to know that they have those kinds of conversations behind the scenes.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

He didn't used to. It was one of the things he hated about Icke, which was why he called him a turd in the punchbowl. He used to say Icke made the concept of conspiracies look bad by throwing the lizard stuff in there. These days... things have changed.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I assume the idea is that there are a lot of people who are fans of [celebrity] who have never listened to a podcast, but will learn to do so if it means getting more [celebrity] in their lives. Getting people to learn what a podcast is and how to listen to it has historically been the biggest hurdle, even though you'd think we'd be past that in 2022. Ideally once they've got podcasts set up on their phone anyway they'll branch out into more of them and keep listening even after [celebrity] moves onto their next pet project.

Why they advertise these projects on podcasts, listened to by people who already know what a podcast is, is a mystery to me. I guess they gotta throw something in there when Raytheon doesn't want to spring for an ad about the latest and greatest in knife missile technology.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Sometimes they drop a half hour or so before midnight, which means that thanks to my bad sleep hygiene I end up listening before I go to bed. Then the next day at work I think, "Oh! It's Monday! That means new Knowledge Fight!!"

I get very excited until I realize that I bamboozled myself via my own terrible memory.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I started listening a little after episode 200, which was before they introduced the theme, and it made going back to listen to the backlog kind of funny. I listened to the first episode and it was like, "?? Did I miss some? Did they delete the real first episode? It already has the 'I love you' soundbite and the audio quality is just as good. Where are the awkward early eps where they both sound like poo poo and are still trying to establish the bits?? I've listened to enough podcast backlogs in my day to know this can't possibly be the real first episode. :colbert:"

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I know he wasn't eating a gummy worm while he asked but that's what I imagined.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It didn't last long iirc, I think it just introduced a lot of tech and audio issues without adding a lot of benefit.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

0konner posted:

1998 wasn’t within the last 20 years.
Excuse you but the 90s were ten years ago, forever

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I know I've heard the hosts of other podcasts say that there are some subjects they don't cover because there's basically only a single book on the topic and they're not comfortable summarizing a single source in a podcast when someone could just buy the book. It probably depends in part on whether the podcast is supposed to be informative ("I am listening to this podcast to learn about a topic") or entertaining ("I am listening to this podcast to listen to a man scream").

But I know when BtB covers a topic that's mostly sourced from a single book I'll usually end up borrowing the book from the library because I want to know more. I don't know how many other listeners end up doing the same, or if there's a significant number of listeners out there who would have read the book if they hadn't listened to a podcast about it. I feel like not many? Not that this in any way invalidates the concern that other people are profiting off his labor.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh god, I'd never actually seen her face before. I think there must be something about the way she does her makeup that's just... making her eyeballs look bruised. It's very distressing.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

A freakishly large head to match his neck.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Globalists are like the fae, in that they have byzantine rules around consent. However through an elaborate loophole they can just show you their plans via movies and books, and if you don't immediately recognize that this is their plan, it qualifies as consent and allows them to act. This is metaphysically necessary because they are contracting with demons which are actually interdimensional beings trying to do a transhumanism.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Satan is whatever he finds most narratively compelling at any given moment to fill the plot holes he's created in his reality.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I think I recall it being implied that once people are transhuman'd they will be suitable for use as slave labor by the alien devil, because he is offering a false ascension. Like god wants you to join his server so you can all hang out but the devil wants to trick you into picking his server instead so you will be stuck there gold farming. That's my weird metaphor, though, I'm sure whatever he actually said made a lot less sense.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Dan is far more powerful than I am.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I am tempted to go through and calculate what percentage of Wednesdays have had a new episode since he announced years ago that there would be no more Wednesday episodes.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I got my partner to listen to that one cold and their screaming at the reveal fully matched Jordan's, it was excellent.

"he WHAT"

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

If you need a good space weirdo fix, I suggest The Saucer Life. The host is a college history professor who specializes in the Contactee movement from the 40 to the 70s. He's a rationalist and doesn't believe in UFOs, but he has a passion for researching these very old school grifters. He has a very dry and sardonic sense of humor and it's hilarious to listen to him pause and complain about a dead nut job's prose and syntax. I've had some small communication with him and he didn't even know about Mark Richards. "Too new" for his era of focus.

This sounds VERY relevant to my interests, thank you!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The payoff of Alex being asked under oath if he'd ever killed a man was extremely good imho.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

One thing I wish he'd done is specify not just "making things up", but the specific "make something up > someone writes an article about the thing he made up > cite the article as evidence of the thing he made up" pipeline.

But being on TV seems scary so I ain't mad.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I believe his preferred term is "predictive programming" but it's really just a bog-standard 'evil magical contract' concept where the rules of the universe demand consent and therefore they must trick you into it (and failing to say 'no' counts). It plays into individualism where every bad thing that happens to a person is ultimately their own fault, for allowing themselves to be fooled if nothing else.

If you poke at it too long you notice there's a lot of weird ideas about consent baked into it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I feel like it's the case that every time they've ever tried to take a break something fully wild has happened. Dan deserves a break but I'm not convinced he knows how.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I've been going back and listening (re-listening?) to some old eps to try and fill in the gaps in the backlog that I never got to, since I did a terrible job of tracking how far I got in listening from the beginning. Very weird to get to episode #200 after listening to today's episode, only to hear JorDan talking about squatch heroes. This must be what Dan feels like when he accidentally does witchcraft.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I agree with Dan that the Lionel bit was a bridge too far. The Bowie thing was also a bit much for me.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The plaintiff's lawyer made multiple objections during Norm's opening statement and Norm got called to the bench so that the judge could tell him to cut that poo poo out. Norm also ended it with "first they came for Alex Jones" because that worked out so well for Reynal.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I briefly tried to figure out if there was a quick way to block people in the chat in the iPad app, but it's easier to just keep it closed. YouTube commenters continue to be the worst of the worst.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Cracking the gently caress up right now because I started listening to episode 202 (September 4-6, 2018) and the first ten minutes of actual Alex Jones content is about his Google Analytics. He won't stop complaining about how no one will acknowledge his traffic is better than ever since getting kicked off YouTube, and he can prove it with his Google Analytics graph. He even says he'll post a video of their Google Analytics on Twitter (right before he got banned) to show everyone their spike in traffic. :allears:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Man. I'm trying to hit all the episodes I missed when I first went through the back catalog, despite not remembering which episodes those were, and 2018 is wild. Hearing Dan ask listeners to consider whether they can afford to give $2 a month because he's too sick to sell his blood plasma this week, knowing where they are by 2022, makes me feel a feeling.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Knowing that at least one employee used to do work on Textbroker makes me wonder if InfoWars ever used Textbroker for articles. It's one of those sites where 99% of the work is selling poo poo articles to spam websites, and sometimes they'll even give you an article to start with and ask you to rewrite the thing just enough to pass a plagiarism check while keeping the keywords. Textbroker and its ilk pay like poo poo, but if you're lucky then sometimes you'll find someone who likes your work enough to contact you directly instead of going through the middleman. The description of his early work being essentially "take this AP article and rewrite it" feels very much like freelance SEO writing. I don't know that it matters, it's just very weird to imagine picking out an article assignment from a list and accidentally writing for InfoWars.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm in the backlog again! At the beginning of ep 223, Dan mentions that his uncle is a psychologist specializing in DID/"multiple personality disorder" who thinks the disorder is caused by Satanic ritual abuse. That's loving WILD. I wonder if I've ever heard about Dan's uncle on another, different podcast about debunking pseudoscience.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

I got a gigantic (medium, which is still huge, the large one would probably take up a whole wall) purple penguin tapestry from the Knowledge Fight guy's store, but does anyone know whose signature is on here?

https://www.teepublic.com/tapestry/11697589-purple-penguin?store_id=400246

Pretty sure it's Lar DeSouza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It was never officially retired. I think getting more successful made it harder to quantify who would get it. Like, they've got more fans making cool stuff for the show, but they can't ALL be raptor princesses. And then there are the really cool people helping them out by coming onto the show for interviews or discussions, but it seems weird to make a guest a raptor princess. Especially if they're there talking about Sandy Hook.

It's also possible Dan forgot about it for a while and now it's been so long he feels weird about it. The man loves to overthink.