Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Funny thing is that it might be the other way around. I don't have links, but some of the old Knowledge Fight episodes had Alex actually explain the process and he told people to repeatedly do it for the express purpose of manipulating search results to wake up more sheep.

Him still doing it is either trying to be low-key (lol), sticking with it because it helps an old as hell audience or just leftover cruft from those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Flat Earth is interesting because of the mix of plainly obvious grifters in prominent positions along with the true believers.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Just based on this episode alone, if Alex had better lawyers, he may have been able to successfully defend portions of the Texas case. Instead, he defaulted for bafflingly stupid reasons.

Yeah, that was an interesting point from the Texas lawyer. That Alex probably could have just dumped some hellish EasyBib document of "sources" for them to review and dragged things out for another year, but he didn't.

The Connecticut case default made a little more sense since they were starting to ask for real financials and you could only drag that out for so long.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's been awhile since I've listened to Last Podcast on the Left, but they seemed to thread the needle that way. If it was primarily one source they'd cite the book heavily and basically do an elevator pitch for it at the beginning and the end of the episode, specifically pushing it as "hey, there's a bunch of cool side stories like X, Y and Z that we didn't cover in the podcast cause if you want to know every little detail buy the book." I think the LPotL episodes on Tupac and Biggie got them a thank you email from some writer who looked them up after wondering why the hell they were suddenly selling hundreds of copies of a niche book.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Xakura posted:

But has he asked alex for permission before he made his content solely based on him :ohdear:

Dan has a fireproof safe with 2 thumb drives in it holding copies of the audio clip where Alex swears on air that anyone can air his clips and discuss them because he's just speaking the truth!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I remember a really frustrating aspect during the first big plagiarism blowup and arguing with the couple defenders was that The Dollop could have just straight up paid for the article and everything would have been fine for both sides.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
When it came up before in the interviews the lawyer said that Infowars/Alex set up a bunch of holding companies incorrectly and that the court threw a lot of them out/bundled them up as just alter egos of Alex. So hopefully that throws a monkey wrench in plans to write things off too.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

jase1 posted:

Is Sandy Hook the reason why Alex was deplatformed? If he didn't hang his hat on that would he be more powerful now or still in the poo poo?

It seems like the dam only really broke when Jones went to DC and embarrassed Silicon Valley people during what would have been a toothless Congressional inquiry.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/09/alex-jones-infowars-senate-social-media-hearing-google-facebook-twitter.html

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, to be clear the cryptocurrency crash has to do with a hilariously dumber thing involving a supposed "stablecoin" not being stable at all and the panic resulting from that. It would be funny if Alex didn't manage to cash out before the crash though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Megabound posted:

My one hope is that he tries to withdraw it all at once and it helps tank crypto further. My other hope is that he completely fucks up declaring it on taxes or whatever and fucks himself up even further as well.

I'm not sure how a quick wash sale would affect it, but there is a potentially fun thing. I read it as an analysis about that football player who took his payment in crypto. Legally you're taxed at the dollar value at the moment of payment. If it tanks by the time you sell it, you still owe the taxes on the full income and all you can do is write off the loss against any capital gains with a few options to claim very small amounts as a general deduction. Which can potentially really gently caress you at those levels.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
In this case it's completely traceable unless Alex wants to claim that his site was hacked and that the wallet wasn't under his control when he received the bitcoins. Bitcoin is conceptually anonymous but it also keeps a complete public ledger that anyone can trace if they're bored. There are ways that you can launder money through it, but this is kind of the opposite.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wanted to post the "Hank Hill knows all of Dale's conspiracy theories and points out all the contradictions" clip but there are so many loving Youtube videos about people's dumb King of the Hill theories that I can't find a good one of it.

Anyway, as satisfying as it would be to just run through all the ways that his theories are contradictory and dumb nothing would really stick and it'd be water off of a duck's back. I've been interested in conspiracy theories since I was a teenager and I know vaguely of like 2 or 3 people who actually manage to logic their way out.

If anything it's like the point about evangelicals/Mormons/anybody who still sends out missionaries doing it not to spread the word but to have people yell at their missionaries and harden their beliefs and loyalty to the group.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think that might actually be the first time that I've heard Francis Bacon come up in a conspiracy theory, and I really like learning weird conspiracy stuff.

Also weird about Atlantis since I think just about every time I've heard it come up it was a paradise that was done in either by natural disaster or civil war. So...being a 2nd Atlantis would be pretty cool, at least for awhile.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^True, but this is actually kind of tame when you consider how often interdimensional Satan pops up.

twerking on the railroad posted:

Really? The theory that he actually wrote Shakespeare's plays and stuck hidden messages into them is super old.

I forgot that one probably because I think it's boring :). But yeah, good point.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not invested but I've read it before so it's triggering the :goonsay: in me. I believe the specific drama is that he plays himself up as a cool anarchist while supporting US intervention in Syria/abroad. And he made some pretty egotistical claims at times about his reporting being central in whipping up the crowd into charging the fence at the Justice Center in Portland when that seemed to be a "creative" interpretation of cause and effect :shrug:. That was, if I'm remembering right, a chunk of the fight that took down the thread in here last time.

Doesn't really matter anyway since he's just talking about Bannon in this episode. No reason to bring up C-SPAM.

Edit: Oh, also to not just nerd post, I'm a little worried that the trial's been built up so much and that talk from the jury selection isn't helping my nerves on it. I'd like to believe that this going to strike a big blow to Info Wars, but that's counting on a lot of things going right and consequences actually happening. It's going to be weird vibes going back to the show as normal if this ends up being a procedural case that hands out a slap on the wrist fine after all this.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 26, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The filmmaker sounds like a terrible person, but I'm morbidly curious as to how bad her incel documentary is.

I'd be curious too since the reviews I saw just seemed to say that she was overly sympathetic and basically cut out all the bad stuff to present them as just sad, lonely boys who were isolating/left behind. It'd be interesting to see if it was genuine ignorance or one hell of an edit job.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although I think Dan and Jordan decided later that he was probably, bizarrely, lying about meeting with Russian Intelligence because it made him seem cooler and more connected. That's kind of where I ended up with it. Like, I'm sure he's in a spreadsheet somewhere for RT interns to send articles to but it seems like he just likes being right wing and was following trends.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Troubadour posted:

Every time they go into the past, I get reminded of AJ's intensely irritating Rush impression and it is so hard to concentrate on anything else.

Lots of absolutely bonkers antisemitism in this latest episode, though. I wonder if anyone has done a matrix of the six types of jews x the four ways to learn?

Edit: I just listened to the end and the way he treats that German lady caller makes me want to [PARODY, REDACTED]

I did skip over some of the coverage of conservative standups, but Jesus Alex trying to loving riff off of her call was almost impossible to listen to. Just this bizarre mix of callous, embarrassing, ineffective, weird and monstrous.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is QAA a good listen if you like BTB and KF? I've listened to a few of their combined episodes on both sides but never felt compelled to check out their full podcast.

I like it but I've heard some goons say that it's boring. If you've been listening to Knowledge Fight you may be too caught up on the QAnon stuff to be interested in hearing their episodes that just cover news updatess, but they do special series and research topics too. I really liked Episode 197 about the New Age TikTok Rabbithole. That did melt my brain a little though.

Also they do skits, although not as many as they used to, so those will be hit or miss depending on how much you like intentionally dumb reference comedy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Like they said, it was interesting to see somebody who seemed to at least conceptually understand the idea of a deposition and who didn't just constantly gently caress themselves on the stand. Even if it makes for more frustrating listening.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I know Elon's a huge dumbass and it shouldn't bother me, but legit, there have been True Detective Rust Cohle "We should just join hand-in-hand and walk into extinction" people for the last century or two that I know of casually from dumb trivia. The idea that it's a new woke thing is so loving dumb.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I think all of this is irrelevant because ye said he would run for president multiple times in the past

He is not going to follow through because that’s what happens with manic phases

Yeah, the reason it didn't make much of an impact was that it was a bizarre run marred by what definitely seem like manic phases. I want to say that his national headquarters was a PO box behind a gas station somewhere in the midwest. Also he picked a "biblical life coach" for his VP, I think. It's late and I'm not looking it up. Just weird stuff for somebody with that much money.

People were all ready to laugh at it, then he came out on stage wearing a bulletproof vest swearing that he was going to be assassinated for trying to bring god back to America and everyone collectively realized that it wasn't funny anymore :smith:.

Can't imagine that this one is going to go any better or make much of a difference.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I also think that if we're being honest the truth isn't that interesting. The answer for his path was that he was probably a fairly conservative guy who didn't like the government/Obama/Democrats/Clintons and he was fine with things until Alex went full mask off. Lots of people push awful policies and ideas and get cold feet when confronted with the actual reality of it on an individual level.

Or he was just a mercenary guy who realized how bad things had gotten. It's a little interesting to actually see somebody "wake up" but I can't imagine that there's all that much left to poke at.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

When Alex talked about his plan to put out even more content and building a home studio and a space for roundtable discussions I couldn't shake this feeling that this could be a sign that he's realizing he won't be able to keep the InfoWars studio space and needs to downsize.

Haven't listened to the episode yet, but my not a lawyer knowledge is that your primary residence is basically untouchable in Texas, so it could also be a move to shield the future of his show.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I know people like to see hypocrisy called out and get a thrill from seeing a lovely person seemingly suffering, but I don't know. It's just kind of nothing. It feels like the constant "Trump is at his most isolated ever" articles we got for 4 years. A lot of wishful thinking that doesn't really matter. Maybe he's in a bad place. Maybe it was just a bad day. It's not making a difference and acting like it's anything more than tabloid stuff is kind of silly. Fine to rubberneck, but it's just rubbernecking at this point unless there's some really good texts that they're holding back.

Only stuff that seemed significant was the abuse of his private security to follow people, I guess, but I don't think there's any more meat to that other than Alex being awful in his relationships too.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I started to make a post a week ago that boiled down to "My not-a-lawyer opinion is that Alex could totally do a legally distinct entity and just keep going, but there's a good chance he'll gently caress it up like he did with the dumb maneuvers with the shell companies."

And wow, on the second (I think) episode he proceeds to declare to the world that he's comingled the servers and that they're basically the same company. Wow.

Lesson is :justpost:. Lol. Shame about the painting show but maybe he can get a 3rd legally distinct entity for it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was happy to hear Valiant Thor show up, since that's a weird bit of old UFO lore. That bit was extra funny since I also thought "wait is Valiant Thor still around?" Realized that I cooked my brain a little too much with :tinfoil: to be able to remember that offhand. Although Valiant Thor is a hard name to forget.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Dan will probably talk about it, but there's also some :actually: that he was already starting to struggle and the Dean Scream just happened at the same time to kind of give it a clear marker for the beginning of the end. Sort of like Jeb and "please clap" "it connotes excitement" etc.

But yeah, if you were American and watched any late night show or political commentary/comedy it got played non-stop and they just ate him alive and then it ended up in parodies for a few years.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's a very vague memory but I think Dan said at some point that picking random episodes was incredibly boring since it was a lot of boring talk and bad callers most of the time. That it would really only work if he was looking up famous episodes and at that point it's not really what they do anymore.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah from what Ross and Carrie covered on their podcast Linda Moulton Howe does the same disclosure focus where anyone can send her a Protonmail and she'll probably believe it. I can't remember exactly what they managed to get her to repeat, but it was something really stupid and they just kept making it dumber and she never caught on.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If you're looking to get started their visits to the Conscious Life Expo are pretty good since they tend to be reports on 30 minute to 1 hour talks from fringe stuff you probably haven't heard of along with just talking to the people selling stuff at the booths. Like someone who invented a complicated Tarot card but with animals system that breaks down if you think about it at all. Or a dude who insists that he's the real Buddha and also Jesus, I think. Or someone who promised to sell blessed sand.

Most of their investigations are good. I think the only one I'd probably warn people off of was their Ayahuasca one. It was neat and funny and had some good moments (and one very gross moment) but it was way too stretched out. I think they even admitted it at the end.

Their very deep dive into Scientology was pretty interesting if that's something you'd like to know about. It's a long one though so maybe work up to it.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 10, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LionYeti posted:

The thing that always interested me about goldbugs is why would someone exchange their precious metals for apparently soon to be worthless paper

That's why you gotta pay a premium above market price from Alex's sponsors and can't trust those people selling it cheaper :hmmyes:.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

To which the rational person then responds, "So why do you want my paper for your gold, Mr. Gold Salesperson?"

You want its future value in booze, bullets and guzzolene while they're content with planning to die in the initial apocalypse or play chicken with it a little longer :). Or they're just patriots and that's why Alex recommends them :patriot:.

There actually was a fun take on that in the show Jericho. They send out the new merchant-lord kid of the village who helped the daughter of the supermarket's now-dead owner consolidate power and dragged all of her silverware and expensive poo poo up to the big trading fair that they heard about. Only to get mocked that nobody wanted their useless stuff and that silver would get them thrown out because people were afraid that it had soaked up radiation. People wanted medicine, booze and they really, really wanted salt.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 10, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

The 3 possibilities assuming (and that the story is real) he'd kept it.

1) Lost in the Mt Gox rugpull.

2) Hard drive with codes dumped in landfill after he'd forgotten about them.

3) Most likely. A while later he hears "Say people are paying a buck for those bitcoins now!" and is immediately ka-ching! Makes 10k. Which TBF is the reality of what almost everyone would have done, myself included.

Unironically have to remind myself of this when I think about following bitcoin for laughs when it was between $10 and $30. I didn't buy any because I didn't trust Mt. Gox with my bank information which was probably a good idea. And that I 100% would have sold at $100 a piece and just ended up with more regret. Still stings though.

Xiahou Dun posted:

There are so many sci fi things I want to make that garbage troll digest and summarize back to me.

I wanna see Alex’s interpretation of China Mieville. Bet you he somehow thinks it’s pro capitalism.

He would have a field day about the government morphing people for human trafficking/the creepy brothel and that the brothel blackmail scheme was broadcasting it all to the world as part of their globalist pact with the devil, and then just ignore literally everything else :).

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Honestly I didn't really think of the granular difference between PM and President vis a vis "Head of State." I'm sure I learned it in poli sci at some point, but lol at caring about very specific titles or assuming that the quack doctor lady would know or care.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^edit: Yeah, quick google didn't seem to turn up anything as awful as Sandy Hook denial, so comparing him to Alex is probably a bit much. Just really :tinfoil: I think, which takes him to bad places and mostly interesting for being a wild rear end turn for him.

tsob posted:

I'm working my way through older episodes and they've mentioned Russell Brand occasionally in passing before, but went into him a bit as being as bad as Alex in some ways in episode 662 and ..what? If they hadn't mentioned that he was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall I'd wonder if it was just about another guy with the same name. What the gently caress has he been up to? I vaguely recall seeing one of his specials years ago around the time of that film when he still did UK comedy stuff, but he always seemed like a bit of a hippy dippy weirdo who at least had good intentions regarding rehabilitation for addiction, views on personal identity etc. Has all that changed or something? Is it just a facade he uses to conceal right wing views? Or is he more of an extremist coming from left wing views as opposed to Alex's extreme right wing poo poo?

Yeah, he was fine if maybe a little stupid for a while before going off the deep end. If someone has a more exhaustive breakdown of his views they can feel free to dive in since I've mostly got hazy memories and a quick skim of his recent Youtube video titles.

I think he was more a case of someone losing their mind over anti-Covid vaccine/lockdown stuff, and then that was a gateway drug. Shame since he was kind of decent as a person who could just talk somewhat normally/charismatically and seem sincere about homelessness and addiction stuff.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 1, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mauser posted:

Well if you're American maybe you've forgotten what it was like during the Trump presidency because we all sounded like Jordan back then. Everyday was a new outrage from president never-shuts-up and his cabinet of white nationalists

I was going to say, if anything the hardest part of going back and listening to the old series on the 2016 election or Sandy Hook was the constant "I'd like to see Trump wiggle out of this jam" when covering the sometimes completely forgotten scandal of the day around the episode.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just to confirm your suspicion though, what you're talking about is basically the conclusion of the series. They start out looking to find the first moment when he denies Sandy Hook, but it basically turns out that his initial coverage of Sandy Hook was the same as the Boston Bombing and how he covered other shootings at the time. To the point that they give up before he explicitly denies Sandy Hook, since he doesn't have to. He's using all the same keywords and arguments that he used to signal conspiracies around the others and that the listeners are prepped to hear.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'd personally guess that it's more a case of it being really difficult to signal masculinity in the way that they want. The closest thing to their "true" stated ideal would just be a dude in a slightly dirty dress shirt and jeans/slacks who worked a blue-collar job. But then they might be mistaken for poor and also most of them couldn't pull it off without looking stupid. Typical country signaling can't work because they want to come across as the smartest guy in the room and you can't maintain that if you go past guns and pickups. So you're stuck with their weird foggy memories of a TV Dad's study to signal that they're refined men with old-fashioned values who do manly things like sip bourbon and smoke cigars.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I imagine that it was pretty gradual, although it is weird to hear an old episode where Dan's selling blood plasma to make ends meet when you know where they are now. There's probably 2 big standouts when they did deep dive investigations into the past covering batches of episodes.

They went back and covered Alex's coverage of Sandy Hook with the goal of finding the point when he first said it was a hoax and they did a long series to catch the moment when Alex decided to support Trump. The Sandy Hook series was naturally much more serious than the 2016 election one, but they were both big moments of digging in and researching Alex with a goal in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Morroque posted:

Again, the ball is in the bankruptcy court's... erm, court.

The thing is, if Alex was doing this to gain a new source of long-term revenue, the court might actually allow him to go through with it in the hopes they can collect from it. The problem is that assumes Alex to be a good-faith player in the process, and Alex can't not be a sneaky snake. He views the bankruptcy process only as a means to stiff the Sandy Hook families, not as something he would have actual responsibilities to.

The possibility that none of this is above board is essentially guaranteed. It's just a question of when we find that put.

Yeah, I think Dan even brought it up before that there can be a perverse issue where the court wants Alex to find more work and keep going since he needs to earn money for them to garnish. You can't really get a court judgment for "I want you to gently caress off." If it's just a regular salaried position then there's not much to do other than garnish the wages.

But given how things have gone so far, there's a non-zero chance that they didn't actually hire Jones but instead contracted with a brand new Alex Jones media company for a new show in a way that will spectacularly fall apart in 3 to 6 months.