Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

MrMojok posted:

Was it Jones who once ranted about the government secretly creating dog-man-pig hybrids or something like that?

He's done it more than a few times. The most iconic one for me is when he would wax poetic about seeing "human-fish hybrids in tanks, with sad human eyes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Even Dan seems to have completely given up on the idea that debunking Alex can directly hurt him. At this point, his work seems to mostly be aimed at intercepting people and poisoning the well before they can be lured down that "Alex Jones was right" path. His narrative changes completely from one day to the next, so facts won't reach anyone who is already ignoring the reality of what they hear him say.

And in that sense, I think Jordan jumping the gun is actually super helpful for Dan to get a real-time sense of where he might not have included enough context for certain clips -- he tries his best, but it can be easy to lose track of what he knows from watching the whole thing, like trying to find a typo in your own essay where your brain knows what each sentence is supposed to look like.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

What in the ever-loving gently caress is going on with his hands in that clip? I swear he looks like he's doing a cheesy Trump impersonation, especially when he gets that little sass right around the 20 second mark. I have genuinely never seen him look so pathetic.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

In case anyone missed it, KF put up another episode late last night.

And it is the worst episode that I've listened to in a long time, hands down. Not because of anything they did, but holy poo poo. Even as someone who listens to the vile Alex Jones clips that they play, Owen's attempts at comedy weren't even amusing in a morbid way. It was like listening to Mike Huckabee's "Daily Show" knock-off.

It's not even all that offensive compared to the usual Infowars rants either. It's just unpleasant and miserable.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

BiggerBoat posted:

I forgot about this but it's hilarious to me that the supposed plan is run a false flag/crisis actor con on the world and then right after that, run all these impostors out on stage in the most watched television event in the loving country. I mean, I've heard of hiding in plain sight but that's a little extreme.

It makes a lot more sense(?) when you remember that it's a pillar of Alex's worldview that the globalists are spiritually obligated to due stupid, illogical things for him to point out because that's the only way that they are able to get magical powers. I forget the exact term for it, but it's a whole school of thought within the conspiracy world that the reason why you are able to uncover all of these hints that were planted in popular movies or whatever is because the law of the universe dictates that telling you what they are going to do to you before they actually do it will fulfill some Satanic legal contract, and that Hollywood was created to find a loophole around that by weaving those "warnings" into fictional stuff that everyone watches.

So the Sandy Hook football game thing was just them spiking the football and trying to get superpowers from how brazen it was.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 9, 2022

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

The only thing that ever genuinely made me suspicious of Alex with Russia is that literally the first time I can recall hearing Daria's name was on a Knowledge Fight episode where they covered him making a big deal about how "everyone" was making accusations that she was his KGB handler... and this was ~years~ before any of the Sandy Hook trial stuff and the depositions got coverage where she became a more prominent member of Infowars. I remember it being a whole skit and everything where they were sarcastically acting like it was true, and it had such powerful "Alex accidentally telling on himself" energy.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Morroque posted:

On the other hand, Daria can't really be a KGB Handler because Daria can't really handle much of anything.

It would reflect poorly on the KGB if Daria is all they are capable of.

Before the trial, I would've said that it's at least possible. I mean, if the CIA's playbook is anything to go by, I don't find it very hard to imagine them not sending some highly trained agent deep undercover to hang out with Alex Jones, but instead, just putting someone like her on their payroll as a stooge to work at Infowars with ~very~ simple instructions of what talking points she should push to his listeners.

But yeah, seeing how she performed in her deposition and on the stand immediately convinced me that she couldn't even manage half that amount of effort into her job, no matter how much she's getting paid.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Mauser posted:

I honestly don't know which is more grating his rush impression or his modern voice

It is absolutely his Rush impression, because I can barely make it through most of the past episodes with how he always pronounces words that start with "b" or "p" like he's Boss Nass from The Phantom Menace.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Is... Is it just me, or is that Wagner ad just using straight up Cyberpunk 2077 music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhehxYhXG5Q

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I could totally understand Dan's instinct about that, too. I mean, morally, it isn't surprising at all. Alex is a bigot, of course he hates gay people and wants to hurt them. But him passing up such a golden opportunity to earn some "I'm the reasonable one" cred by standing up for gay people (to justify his rants about trans people) sent a chill down my spine.

It is so revealing that he feels comfortable doing this. Not about his personal beliefs because those were obvious, but how he perceives the conservative movement, that they are primed for this poo poo and he no longer needs to pretend. It's the realization that we are absolutely about to have this fight, and there is no way to avoid it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, I honestly don't mind current day Alex all that much because it seems like we still occasionally get some new low of just how truly pathetic he is. Past Alex was interesting for awhile, but I think that ship has sailed long ago — the only interesting revelation there was that he's always been a Christian nationalist at his core even during those years when he was really riding high on his anti-Bush bonafides.

With Tucker, I'm fine with the occasional episodes, but I feel like there really isn't much meat on that bone to sustain the podcast as a new focus. He just isn't as interesting as Alex on a fundamental level, because they are both whiny and insecure bullies who love to punch down at vulnerable targets to make themselves feel manly, but Alex's behavior seems downright pathological with how he will spin himself in circles trying to justify his own bigotry while Tucker just seems casually cruel and opportunistic. One episode of Tucker per week — let alone two — would just be way too much for him when the answer is so obvious.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

teen witch posted:

I’m guessing the Fuentes episode is especially gross?

Honestly, not nearly as much as you'd think. He is still a smarmy little Nazi, so obviously it sucks the usual amount, and his open antisemitism is pretty bone-chilling... but compared to Alex's constant slew of transphobia that you will find in any random episode, I can't say that I found it viscerally upsetting. And it is pretty fascinating to see how he runs circles around Alex on his own show because Alex is so afraid to disagree with him on anything until the very end.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I've always assumed that it's just something he picked up from putting on his Limbaugh impersonation for over 20 years and at some point, it stopped being an act. Because I feel like it's so much more pronounced whenever we get an episode about 2000's era Alex that his voice gets on my nerves way more than modern Alex.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I am still so amused by the setup and punchline of Alex getting so angry over some creepy ghoul bragging about how many people he's killed to impress that NYT journalist... only to get completely sidetracked by his own little masturbation session about how violent and powerful he is on the exact same tier as the infamous Navy SEAL copypasta. Even by his low standards, the complete and total lack of self-awareness there is just staggering.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I feel like the easier explanation is that he's just run out of reasons to keep him banned, when his only remaining fans are so overwhelmingly sympathetic to Alex. Elon wants attention and adoration, so not a huge surprise that he would abandon his "principles" of being disgusted by Alex's treatment of Sandy Hook to score a cheap win for his own ego — and more importantly, to spite his critics.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I mean in the sense that his only reason before was "I want to be popular", because clearly his grandstanding about how offended he was by Alex's abuse of those grieving families was pure bullshit. Now that everyone hates Elon, keeping Alex banned doesn't get him any credit, whereas unbanning him will be super popular with his "anti-woke" fans.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

There was nothing more cathartic for me in this latest episode than Jordan just casually, almost quietly scoffing at Alex referring to Elon as "sir." There was nothing performative about that reaction, trying to make it into something funny; it was just pure, reflexive disgust and was exactly what I felt in that moment.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

God, I still find it bone-chilling to think back on just how many of my leftist friends took Jimmy Dore seriously as a political thinker well into 2021 and 2022. I have no idea if they are still into him because I eventually just gave up trying to convince them that he seemed like a disingenuous rear end in a top hat, but at least now I know that I wasn't being too paranoid about how uncomfortable he made me.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I genuinely would not have been able to make it through this episode without Jordan's energy. It would've just been a frustrating and miserable experience to hear Alex steamroll everyone on that panel with such dumb bullshit, even by his own standards.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Froghammer posted:

:siren: Alex thinks the Chaos god from Warhammer are real :siren:

I mean, we really should have guessed this back when he stumbled down the rabbit hole of defining the difference between... was it Draculas, Renfields, and gremlin-wraiths or something like that? I just recall him getting completely lost in specifically categorizing his enemies into his own little RPG-like caste system where it was explicitly clear that he wasn't using it as some metaphor to describe their personalities.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, this episode was... frustrating beyond belief. I don't think Jordan did a bad job as an interviewer, other than his usual habit of dipping a little too far into colorful hyperbole that made it easy to laugh off some of his points. But man, gently caress Stelter. He is every bit as much of a coward as I remember from seeing him on CNN with how he refuses to acknowledge any kind of personal stake in politics or stand for literally anything other than "be nice to journalists, pretty please."

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I would say that the much bigger problem for me was how Stelter just kept retreating over and over to his comfortable little dichotomy between "true believers" in conservatism (the good people) and "bad faith actors" (the bad people) at Fox without ever engaging with Jordan's attempts to walk him through the chain of why the true believers are every bit as dangerous or that they could also be lying and he just doesn't (want to) realize it yet. Which is just downright laughable with how naïve it is for Stelter to believe in this fantasy world where every single fascist is clearly and visibly a bad actor from the jump when their entire strategy revolves around laundering their ideology through the exact same kind of people that he would have friendly dinners with. That you probably could've asked him about Tucker Carlson back in 2012 and he probably would've given the tried and true "I don't agree with his views, but at the end of the day we both want what's good for this country" speech instead of calling him a liar.

Also his dodge on Jordan's point how openly evil Reagan was and how that should be a sign of how long this has been a problem? That was just embarrassing for someone who claims to be any kind of political expert. "Oh, that was before my time." He can gently caress right off with that bullshit.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Froghammer posted:

idk man, ranking Stelter as being equally evil to anyone employed at Fox is a bit of a stretch

When he is the exact sort of media figure who (in fairness, I can't remember if he covered it back then, so I'm speaking generally about CNN here rather than Stelter, who is just stubbornly clinging to that worldview) stood up and dramatically screeched "how DARE you, good sir!" in solidarity with Fox News to Obama during his presidency when he called them destructive and started taking their questions less often during press conferences, I really don't think it is that big of a reach. If you go out of your way to use your credibility to defend the sacred honor of racists or show more concern over calling them out than their actions to directly hurt people, then I think that makes you pretty drat complicit.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Randalor posted:

I'm almost finished listening to the Tucker interview of Putin episode, and I'm honestly curious how much of the disconnect between Putin and Tucker are from Putin's first question of "Hey, did you want to have a serious discussion or do your show" and Tucker said "a serious discussion:wink:" and Putin actually thought he wanted an actual discussion.

Still absolutely hilarious that it was basically just Putin trolling Tucker on all the conservative propaganda fluff questions

That's apparently the exact story that Putin is going with for how the interview didn't pan out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/15/vladimir-putin-tucker-carlson-interview-footage-sharp-questions

Vladimir Putin surprised at no ‘sharp questions’ from Tucker Carlson posted:

In the same interview on Russian state TV on Wednesday, Putin also said he did not get “much pleasure” from last week’s two-hour interview with the conservative presenter Carlson, because the questions had not been sharp enough.

“To be honest, I thought that he would behave aggressively and ask so-called sharp questions. I was not just prepared for this, I wanted it, because it would give me the opportunity to respond in the same way,” Putin said in comments broadcast on Wednesday.

Putin said that Carlson had “tried to interrupt me several times” but praised the conservative journalist, who is close to Trump, for his “patience” when listening to his “long speeches, especially those related to history”.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Morter posted:

I don't know if it's a 'fat' thing or a cadence thing but the way he blubbers his 'B's infuriates me, especially back in the day, when he had that lovely concern-troll lilt to his delivery.

I am a firm believer that it was 100% intentional on his part, of him trying to mimic Rush Limbaugh. It is so much more prominent back then compared to modern day, despite the fact that he is undeniably in worse shape now than he ever was.

And yeah, it drives me crazy too.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think it's less "aha, Alex knows about Knowledge Fight!" as much as it is about the clear urgency with which he shuts that down. He doesn't laugh, or bluster about them being "chicken-necked globalists", or get angry. If you call into Alex's show and spew a bunch of open antisemitism that he can't launder, he will usually at least argue with that caller a bit before hanging up. That clip is a rare moment of Alex showing some actual discipline, to realize "oh, I'm not allowed to play with this toy and know that I shouldn't, so I'm just going to put it right back into the box without throwing a pissbaby tantrum like I would in any other situation."

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Hot take: early Dan was much harder for me to tolerate than Jordan at his absolute worst. I can't remember when the turn happened, but it was such a blessing for the podcast when he stopped playing devil's advocate for Alex over every little piece of ambiguity and took such a strictly literal interpretation of his words. But I think he managed to grow out of that faster than Jordan calmed down.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Tree Dude posted:

Can't imagine he could run the show reliably off a Starlink connection.

He can't run the show reliably off his current connection either, so not like that would be a noticeable difference. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

As someone who only knows about Dune lore through cultural osmosis without reading the books or seeing any of the movies, I feel like I could listen to Jordan pester Dan with confusing Dune knowledge for twenty straight hours without getting bored. :allears: