Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Wow. This is basically the thing I've been looking for for several years now. I've used a program called The Guide for a real long time, which is a basic tree outliner with rtf text. It's quite good, and the thing I disliked about many other outliners was that they were plain-text. Being able to bold text or make Big Headers was important. But The Guide doesn't have any built-in support for checkboxes, which mean I was using Xs & Os or inserting unicode like a caveman. Markdown is the perfect midpoint.

Criticisms after 5 minutes:

• Another fuckin' electron app. But at least it seems pretty lightweight for an electron app. Switching files is snappy, and it deals with large files pretty well. Dumping a 1/2mb log file into the program makes it run the CPU hard but that's just the background indexer, the UI stays totally responsive. Unlike Atom, this is usable. For the current users, what's it like when you have a big vault with tons of files?

• The 2 built-in themes are low-contrast garbage. Adding new themes = digging around their forums. Oops nvm, the "manage" button shows a bunch of showcase themes. You can't change the main font separately from theme. (Unless you make new CSS yourself, which thankfully I can do.)

• Not really a criticism of the program itself, but IMO putting that graph view stuff front and center on all the example screenshots is not great. I saw this thread back when OP posted it and kinda dismissed it -- it looked like the graph was the primary interface for the program, rather than just a neat gimmick that it can do. I looked at those pics and was like

But the vaults are based on hierarchical folder trees, and that's really the main / default organizational method & UI. If the information you're writing doesn't need a graph to keep track of, the graph view is superfluous.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

incoherent posted:

Oh ok. its' close to onenote?

That, and pretty much every other outliner / note-taking program. The folders are true folders in obsidian, and you can't make notes that are subnotes of other notes. It's super-minimal compared to something like OneNote.

Like, the linking ability is the cool thing this program does. That's useful even if you aren't graphing the links into conspiracy diagrams. Because you can trace links forward and backward, ie get a list of everything that links to a note. As far as I can tell, backlinks aren't something OneNote does.

I dunno if it's worth moving to for someone who already uses OneNote. But the super-easy linking between notes is a massive advantage over other simple outliners I've used before. I'd stopped looking at outliner software several years ago and it seems like there's been an explosion in this space. There's also Notion and Roam Research.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AquariusDue posted:

Notion seemed really cool but if I remember correctly it was hard to export your data out of it (take this as hearsay because I haven't tried it),

Googling this, it seems like it's not supposed to be hard -- you can export your whole space as markdown or html -- but that function is frequently buggy. I guess those bugs don't get as much attention for some reason. :allears: (Exporting to html sounds cool as a way to archive a completed project though.)

To me the downside of Notion is that it seems very much built around teams. That means it's always-online in the cloud, which isn't a plus to me. And has a whole lot of stuff built for project management that seems pretty excessive for personal use. If you need it it's a strong upside, if you don't you're buying into a very commercial product as a free user, which is dicey long-term.

Like, quite a few years ago I was doing a hobby project with some friends that I ran a home-hosted Dokuwiki for. If I was doing that again I'd be very tempted by Notion. Though $100/year for any multi-user is kinda annoying.

AquariusDue posted:

Praise for Obsidian aside even if it's really powerful and nice to use I'm still looking for a better and more portable way to do PKM where I won't depend on current tech trends i.e. JavaScript with Electron.

I have hated almost every Electron app I've ever come across, and as soon as I saw that Obsidian was one I was ready to trip report "but it's Electron and feels like crap". I was starting to be convinced that Electron was like Java, where even the simplest program would still feel bad and slow. Github's Atom editor was poo poo. Obsidian is the first time I've felt like an Electron app feels as good as a native app. Yeah it eats 250mb of ram which is silly, but ram is cheap.

And the one good thing about electron and other web-based UI, mucking around with CSS is easy. It didn't take long for me to get Obsidian matching my Sublime Text theme:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

I’ve devolved into stray text files for the past few years now after trying various things — though now I use a Mac primarily for work, so I do have Notes.app on all platforms.

I have switched it up to Markdown and have them all saved in a Dropbox folder where I use Sublime as my editor… Obsidian I think has an iOS app. Are there plugins that add some of the Obsidian like features to Sublime?

I love sublime but it's really made to be a code editor, not a markdown editor / notes organizer. And I'd guess the barrier for doing large plugins in Sublime is much higher than Obsidian -- Electron does have its advantages.

There's a sublime plugin for better / more comprehensive markdown, but even that won't give you the killer features of Obsidian. (Live preview, linking, etc.)