Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the fine folks at linuxserver.io have put out a docker image for self-hosted obsidian, really handy as it's just obsidian running via remote desktop on the server so you can have an obsidian "web ui" available from anywhere

it takes some set up but very needs suiting for me as i can't install obsidian at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TraderStav posted:

So the advantage of this is that it's a web based obsidian that you can access from anywhere rather than an app that syncs? If all of the plugins and everything else works the same as the app this may be a great solution for those of us that can't install and/or sync obsidian with our work machines.

Guessing the best approach is to reverse proxy so that it can be externally facing, does it have a login?

it still syncs and maintains flat files, just on your server and it supports all of the same functionality - i personally use syncthing to move everything around and i can confirm it provides near realtime (~1 min max) sync for obsidian to any of my apps

it comes with basic HTTP auth support but I stuck it behind SWAG, which is also made by the linuxserver team, I use it for Authelia SSO to my externally facing stuff. you could probably use something like traefik which is what's hot these days for reverse proxy stuff