Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Hello knowledge goons.

We know that we all have big brains that have alot of stuff too hold onto. So how can we see the interconnections between those very confused and puzzled pieces of info, and how can we organize that knowledge?

OR how can we just plop it all out in an unorganized fashion and have it map itself out like our little brains?

Enter Obsidian.md, a very sick program that lets you zip and rip between files text files, quickly generate new text files, and link them all in a beautiful graph?

And you don't need to know dime one about coding. There ARE all sorts of plug ins you can add but I havn't added a single plugin. It's highly scalable, future proof, and a very cool thing.

It's hard to articulate just how simple and powerful this tool is. I suggest watching some of the youtube videos

One of the coolest features is the graph it generates as you link text files.

Mine is a big mess. I'm not going to post it because I keep personal things in there and quite naturally don't want to post it.

Here is some that other people have generated. And again this is EASY TO DO, you don't need to know any coding. Each "node" is a file. You make a file by typing and wrapping a word in [[two brackets]]. It's very simple and I will include some youtube videos.

Some people go HAM with their knowledge management systems, and some people use it as a task manager somehow. There's not really a limit to what you can do with this simple and powerful tool

I havn't really done justice to how powerful this app is and what it can do. Hopefully the screens have piqued your interest enough to watch the below youtube and get some discussion going

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbLb6QCK88

Let's not forget The Application itself

https://obsidian.md

Another thing that is maybe like this is Bear? I'm not sure. Roam research is another tool like this?

styls trill epic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Factor Mystic posted:

I started trying Obsidian this weekend with a handful of existing text files. One config thing I changed right away was to map ctrl+p to the "quick switcher", which is the same as VS Code (and Sublime, iirc). Then it's ctrl+shift+p for the command palette and ctrl+p to switch files.

It's a little odd that most settings are specific to each vault. Like, if I make a keyboard shortcut in one project I have to copy/paste that config over to another project. Not the end of the world.

Prior to Obsidian I was just editing these files directly in VS Code, but Obsidian seems marginally more focused for the task of "editing text files, that also sometimes have links and a little formatting". I haven't really done much with the cross-linking feature yet.

Interesting. What do you use it for if you don't use tagging and linking OP?