Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AquariusDue
Feb 11, 2022
Notion seemed really cool but if I remember correctly it was hard to export your data out of it (take this as hearsay because I haven't tried it),
And as an alternative to Obsidian there's Logseq which is open-source but doesn't have a mobile app (yet at least).

Also as a user of Obsidian Sync I can confirm it works really well and it updates between multiple devices in almost real time,
because of this using Obsidian on the phone is really nice with the Sanctum theme (default theme is inferior for mobile in my opinion).
It can sync plugins, settings and pretty much everything.

But because some plugins don't work on mobile I prefer to not sync them and manually curate them for each device.

Obsidian has some really cool plugins though, like Dataview which enables you to query your notes based on metadata at the top which you've added or automatic metadata like the date of the note.

Dataview is pretty much a lite database from your notes.
And there's Juggl for an even more detailed graph view if you're into that.
ExcaliDraw for sketching simple charts and mind maps and embedding them in your vault.

The only thing I worry about is vendor lock-in due to the plugins.
If ever you decide to switch to another app, depending on the plugins you use and how integrated they are into your notes it could end up being a real hassle.

Praise for Obsidian aside even if it's really powerful and nice to use I'm still looking for a better and more portable way to do PKM where I won't depend on current tech trends i.e. JavaScript with Electron.
All that said the PKM rabbit hole is pretty deep starting with a physical Zettelkasten all the way to stuff like org-roam on Emacs, and in the end you might end up with a massive case of axe sharpening instead of getting actual work done.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Dendron which is a cool project if you like the idea of marrying your PKM software to your code editor, VS Code in this case.

AquariusDue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU