Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

highme posted:

No lie was gonna nominate this. One of my all time favorite tracks and a definite step on my path to radicalization, Mr Coke said to Mr Mayor, you know we got a process like Ice T’s hair.

PS Gasface was not the first time DOOM was on record. The video samples a video (during Pete Nice’s verse) of Zev Love X doing the first “gasface”.

wait i was sure it was gas face... i'm pretty sure it was. wikipedia says yes for what that's worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insane anime posted:

im not adding it dude lol.

he deserved a nomination even if i wouldn't have picked it as the winner myself

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

insane anime posted:

all good submissions. feel free to veto my veto on the yung lean. i get it, but i dont think it really says best rap song. im fine if its in though lol. ive updated the list up until this point...

I am doubling down on your veto

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

I am trippling down on that veto cmon man, if you really can't think of a single rap song better than that one this isnt the forum for you dude

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

well, we already have some Mos Def itt, which loving rules, and I would pick some Black Star too, but I genuinely can't choose a song from that album b/c the whole thing loving rules, so gently caress it, let's nominate my favourite Kweli song

Talib Kweli - Get By

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtpXvzzXiA

first off: that is an all time great Kanye beat, and the Nina Simone sample at the front is especially :discourse:. Works so goddamn well together. Kweli's flow is loving amazing, and his lyrics about how hosed the American working class is (particularly working class POC) ring true to this day. There's some loving stellar wordplay too, not least the couplet closing the second verse:

Our parents sing like John Lennon: imagine all the people watch
We rock like Paul McCartney from now until the last Beatle drop

In terms of historical significance, apart from the fact it's still politically relevant today, idk how else to comment on that tbh. I wasn't all that keen on Quality, the album this came from, but I will say that Kanye's beats stand out a lot on there, because Kanye's a fantastic producer and it only promised good things to come on his debut album the year after.

idk, poo poo loving rules

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic Prison Guy posted:

I am trippling down on that veto cmon man, if you really can't think of a single rap song better than that one this isnt the forum for you dude

i won't be talked down to by some cracker retard who discovered rap music at age 45 after buying meth from someone his son's age

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I'm with LP, it should be in there even if i wouldn't vote for it, undeniable influence. Still hilarious that the guy is swedish though

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i think it should be vetoed because its not even close to the best yung lean song

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah actually they will posted:

i think it should be vetoed because its not even close to the best yung lean song

it's the one that started everything. personally im a highway patrol and Afghanistan fan

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I feel like The Roots should get some representation here, but I don’t even know how to go about narrowing it down to one track.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

my first and second choices are already 1 and 2, so i'll go local and propose e40's the mail manhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkZrRCI8xGY

freemandela fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 25, 2022

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

sound of the police is good too

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Venomous posted:

well, we already have some Mos Def itt, which loving rules, and I would pick some Black Star too, but I genuinely can't choose a song from that album b/c the whole thing loving rules

i feel you because the entire album is amazing, but it's respiration

e: thieves in the night is a very close second

freemandela fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 24, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm nominating Cormega - R U My Nigga? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5nZtPz7F18

I think this song is cool because it's about a classic rap theme (loyalty and betrayal) and sticks very close to it with honest lyrics that have a great flow to them, i like the second verse:

quote:

Can you accept the consequences of life, of livin trife
And take yours with honor, if a real nigga strike
Or would you fall weak and help a courtroom indict
And live with dishonor for the rest of your life
Only bitches deal with emotion
Yo son, how many snitches are still in the ocean
I'm gettin too deep, spittin unique
Rhymes, for niggas who sleep
A thug officially, slugs christen me

There's no fancy words or complicated bullshit here, but it all feels sincere and to the point and there's a bunch of good emotional lines. It's essential 90s/2000s rap in the tradition of Illmatic but imo a better execution of the style of Illmatic than anything Nas did afterwards. If aliens came down from space and asked me to give an example of what rap sounds like I might play them this song because it's such a condensed example. I don't have much else to say here so that's it, I guess.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Game-Blouses posted:

I feel like The Roots should get some representation here, but I don’t even know how to go about narrowing it down to one track.

I've always dug Push Up Ya Lighter a whole lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhxDN1BW9PY

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Black Thought freestyle on Funk Flex is worth a non

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvdeE6KzrTc
rage against the machine - bulls on parade

I think zack de la rocha gets underrated a lot as an mc and some of his best lyrics are on this track. it also has tom morello doing that cool squeaky thing with his guitar. this wont win but I think rage is one of the few 90s era rap rock outfits that holds up and they deserve recognition on that alone

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvdeE6KzrTc
rage against the machine - bulls on parade

I think zack de la rocha gets underrated a lot as an mc and some of his best lyrics are on this track. it also has tom morello doing that cool squeaky thing with his guitar. this wont win but I think rage is one of the few 90s era rap rock outfits that holds up and they deserve recognition on that alone

they're sub linkin park tier

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

they made a song for the godzilla soundtrack that has the line "godzilla pure motherfucking filler, to get your eyes off the real killer" and for that they belong above linkin park

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

:hurr:

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

i won't be talked down to by some cracker retard who discovered rap music at age 45 after buying meth from someone his son's age

this is an emberassingly gbs response to being told that you're a loving idiot

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
another nom

Jurrasic 5 - A Day At The Races (ft. Big Daddy Kane & Percy P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zRf9Z66K8

The Jurassic 5 song Improvise features the lyrics "Cause it's the brothers on the mic occupying the drums / Taking four MC's and make them sound like one" and I've always thought that was a apt description of the group. The groups 4 MCs have wildly different sounds and styles, from Chali 2na's aggressive bass to Zaakir's flowing funk, but they come together to harmoniously during the chorus. The groups a capella skills are showcased in many of their tracks by echoing words or call/response lyrics. Backing the group was two of the best djs in the biz, Nu-Mark and Cut Chemist, and the nominated A Day At The Races track features the excellent Big Daddy Kane (a legend in his own right) & Percy P. Lyricaly all 4 MCs have incredible skill but I particularly like this verse from Marc 7

When another deadly medley, camera, action yo we heavy
Aim steady slash machette Maserati engine ready
Good and plenty don't be petty count the fetti and we jetti
Off to another city where we do our nitty-gritty
We wild like Serengeti, tear it down let's seek and set it
Get ready, for the ride, verbally hang-glide
Write and stay tight, mission's in sight
Murderer worldwide, the stage is yo' knife

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Tempted to veto the troll. If anything from deltron is nominated, 3030 would be the obvious choice

Del def needs a nomination and 3030 is a far better choice then mastermind

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kuvo posted:

I will concede. I just really like the production on mastermind and it feels like it holds up on its own where 3030 feels like a part of a concept album. But 3030 is cinematic and clever and epic

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'd like to nominate Hip Hop by Mos Def/Yasiin Bey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq3syNck274

This track has always stood out to me for a variety of reasons. The first is the beat and production. It's got that world champion entering the ring sound to it, just big brass riffs, a little soul organ, and a swaggering beat. It's musically tasteful yet flashy enough that it stands out. It's kind of funky, but it sounds really important.
The lyrical content and historical significance are inseparable. Yasiin wraps up the whole of why hip hop is important to him and to the world in general. Not only that, he presents it in the context of where it falls in the entirety of black history in America.

Bars like:
"We went from picking cotton
To chain gang line chopping
To Be-Bopping
To Hip-Hopping
Blues people got the blue chip stock option
Invisible man, got the whole world watching"

work through how Black Americans went through slavery, imprisonment, jazz, blues, to having a part in the economy of the country through the art of hip hop in 30 words.

But he wraps it up by saying that hip hop is neither the end of Black culture nor its sole savior, and there is still work to be done for Black equality in America:
"Hip Hop will simply amaze you
Craze you, pay you
Do whatever you say do
But black, it can't save you"

This is all from the perspective of a lily white dude who's never had to struggle, so I may be off the mark. So while the song doesn't have personal importance for me, I interpret it as a very personal statement on what Black art means to a Black artist.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'd like to nominate Hip Hop by Mos Def/Yasiin Bey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq3syNck274

This track has always stood out to me for a variety of reasons. The first is the beat and production. It's got that world champion entering the ring sound to it, just big brass riffs, a little soul organ, and a swaggering beat. It's musically tasteful yet flashy enough that it stands out. It's kind of funky, but it sounds really important.
The lyrical content and historical significance are inseparable. Yasiin wraps up the whole of why hip hop is important to him and to the world in general. Not only that, he presents it in the context of where it falls in the entirety of black history in America.

Bars like:
"We went from picking cotton
To chain gang line chopping
To Be-Bopping
To Hip-Hopping
Blues people got the blue chip stock option
Invisible man, got the whole world watching"

work through how Black Americans went through slavery, imprisonment, jazz, blues, to having a part in the economy of the country through the art of hip hop in 30 words.

But he wraps it up by saying that hip hop is neither the end of Black culture nor its sole savior, and there is still work to be done for Black equality in America:
"Hip Hop will simply amaze you
Craze you, pay you
Do whatever you say do
But black, it can't save you"

This is all from the perspective of a lily white dude who's never had to struggle, so I may be off the mark. So while the song doesn't have personal importance for me, I interpret it as a very personal statement on what Black art means to a Black artist.

It’s a great song

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Kuvo posted:

i mean yeah, but personally? for me? it's "fake as gently caress". very useful song to respond to people's facebook bullshit with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQX8WoyWEPQ

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i mean yeah, but personally? for me? it's "fake as gently caress". very useful song to respond to people's facebook bullshit with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQX8WoyWEPQ

Ya it’s gotta be fake as gently caress or mr dobalina imo

https://youtu.be/dFieSQHmQT0

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

3030 as an album is great but it’s like half del half Dan doing his thing

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat there is some poo poo that I extremely like in this thread

my favorite part of the video for roots manuva's fitness is the end where he's reflecting on how much joy he brought the school children as he drives away in his supercar with the trophy that he won.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Dynamite Dog posted:

Ya it’s gotta be fake as gently caress or mr dobalina imo

i'll second mr dobalina if that helps

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

thirded

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mr Bob dobalina?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

on second thought ya someone nominate this

BigFactory posted:

I will concede. I just really like the production on mastermind and it feels like it holds up on its own where 3030 feels like a part of a concept album. But 3030 is cinematic and clever and epic

dont get me wrong, i love mastermind (and the entire album as a whole) but the title track sets the whole tone of the album and grandiose of dans mixing just put you in the zone immediately

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

freemandela posted:

sound of the police is good too

FYI that sample comes from a popular French group called NTM. The only reason I didn't nominate them along with my previous one was because I figured I should only pick one and stick to that.

In the original French what they're actually saying is "assassin de la police", but to an English ear it sounds like "that's the sound of the police".

For reference, here's the track where it's from though I'm not nominating it here necessarily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2kjt0o5Y4&t=60s

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
This is fun, I'd look forward to a similar bracket for albums, rappers etc.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Kuvo posted:

another nom

Jurrasic 5 - A Day At The Races (ft. Big Daddy Kane & Percy P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zRf9Z66K8

The Jurassic 5 song Improvise features the lyrics "Cause it's the brothers on the mic occupying the drums / Taking four MC's and make them sound like one" and I've always thought that was a apt description of the group. The groups 4 MCs have wildly different sounds and styles, from Chali 2na's aggressive bass to Zaakir's flowing funk, but they come together to harmoniously during the chorus. The groups a capella skills are showcased in many of their tracks by echoing words or call/response lyrics. Backing the group was two of the best djs in the biz, Nu-Mark and Cut Chemist, and the nominated A Day At The Races track features the excellent Big Daddy Kane (a legend in his own right) & Percy P. Lyricaly all 4 MCs have incredible skill but I particularly like this verse from Marc 7

When another deadly medley, camera, action yo we heavy
Aim steady slash machette Maserati engine ready
Good and plenty don't be petty count the fetti and we jetti
Off to another city where we do our nitty-gritty
We wild like Serengeti, tear it down let's seek and set it
Get ready, for the ride, verbally hang-glide
Write and stay tight, mission's in sight
Murderer worldwide, the stage is yo' knife

J5 kills it when it comes to group chemistry, love this nom

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

FYI that sample comes from a popular French group called NTM. The only reason I didn't nominate them along with my previous one was because I figured I should only pick one and stick to that.

In the original French what they're actually saying is "assassin de la police", but to an English ear it sounds like "that's the sound of the police".

For reference, here's the track where it's from though I'm not nominating it here necessarily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2kjt0o5Y4&t=60s

that's definitely krs one they sampled on that joint

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

highme posted:

The Black Thought freestyle on Funk Flex is worth a non

yes that was ridiculous, i cant even believe that was real. dude spit for 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Kuvo posted:

The Jurassic 5 song Improvise features the lyrics "Cause it's the brothers on the mic occupying the drums / Taking four MC's and make them sound like one" and I've always thought that was a apt description of the group.

i think about this lyric all the drat time