Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
throwin in my nomination with

De La Soul - I Am I Be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcd3SISAnmM

De La Souls third album Buhloone Mindstate is my favorite of theirs. Their debut 3 Feet High and Rising preached lighthearted love and peace, while their second album De La Soul is Dead tried to dispel their 'hippy' image with darker tracks more critical of the genre. Buhloone Mindstate continued to display their evolving style by collaborating with (among others) jazz saxophonist Maceo Parker. Parkers soulful jazz, mixed expertly by producer Prince Paul, goes to create some incredible tracks. It was hard to pick a single song (Patti Dooke, Ego Trippin, Breakadawn are all top contenders) but I settled on I Am I Be as to me it's the track that highlights the groups continuing musical journey. The song is about the changing identity of the group and their place in the world. Posdnous and Trugoy rap about their lives, their disillusionment with the music industry, the falling out of the Native Tongues Posse, and the future of the group. The song is introspective and comes off almost as a swan song of sorts despite the groups later albums. Lyrically the rhymes aren't anything incredible but I feel that just goes to further the frankness of the verses

I am Posdnous
I be the new generation of slaves
Here to make papes to buy a record exec rakes
The pile of revenue I create
But I guess I don't get a cut cuz my rent's a month late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
another nom

Jurrasic 5 - A Day At The Races (ft. Big Daddy Kane & Percy P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zRf9Z66K8

The Jurassic 5 song Improvise features the lyrics "Cause it's the brothers on the mic occupying the drums / Taking four MC's and make them sound like one" and I've always thought that was a apt description of the group. The groups 4 MCs have wildly different sounds and styles, from Chali 2na's aggressive bass to Zaakir's flowing funk, but they come together to harmoniously during the chorus. The groups a capella skills are showcased in many of their tracks by echoing words or call/response lyrics. Backing the group was two of the best djs in the biz, Nu-Mark and Cut Chemist, and the nominated A Day At The Races track features the excellent Big Daddy Kane (a legend in his own right) & Percy P. Lyricaly all 4 MCs have incredible skill but I particularly like this verse from Marc 7

When another deadly medley, camera, action yo we heavy
Aim steady slash machette Maserati engine ready
Good and plenty don't be petty count the fetti and we jetti
Off to another city where we do our nitty-gritty
We wild like Serengeti, tear it down let's seek and set it
Get ready, for the ride, verbally hang-glide
Write and stay tight, mission's in sight
Murderer worldwide, the stage is yo' knife

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Tempted to veto the troll. If anything from deltron is nominated, 3030 would be the obvious choice

Del def needs a nomination and 3030 is a far better choice then mastermind

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yeah actually they will posted:

i'll second mr dobalina if that helps

on second thought ya someone nominate this

BigFactory posted:

I will concede. I just really like the production on mastermind and it feels like it holds up on its own where 3030 feels like a part of a concept album. But 3030 is cinematic and clever and epic

dont get me wrong, i love mastermind (and the entire album as a whole) but the title track sets the whole tone of the album and grandiose of dans mixing just put you in the zone immediately

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
another nomination

Aesop Rock - Rings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npcGql9Ir6Y

Aesop Rock is best know for his large lexicon and verbose lyrics, both of which are on display in Rings. Expertly utilizing internal rhyme and homonyms he paints a flowing story with complex stanzas. The lyrics themselves are of his love and loss of art and come from a place of personal vulnerability, but the unique aspect that has always attracted me to Aesop is his poetic meter; the stressed/unstressed patterns he creates by emphasizing certain lyrics gives Rings a sort of trochee meter. Take the second verse...

It was blooming addiction
Amiss in the pushing of pigment
Book like a tattooed pigskin, look
Pinhead kids of the minute
Drank Kool-Aid from a tube of acrylic
And it grew up into linseed oil over linen
Joy to the poison, voice of the resin
Capture a map of the gesture
Back up, add a little accurate fat to the figure

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
also someone get a busta nomination in here. i cant choose between woo ha, gimme some more, or break ya neck