Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Selling your unbound leapstones from guardians is a major source of gold. But yes, legion raids are a huge portion of your gold income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I'm surprised at how long the queue times are even for like Argos raids on the weekend. I know its not super endgame but I'm still surprised it takes like 30 minutes for the queue to pop.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'm surprised at how long the queue times are even for like Argos raids on the weekend. I know its not super endgame but I'm still surprised it takes like 30 minutes for the queue to pop.

When you say queues, do you mean matchmaking queue? If so, that's probably because most people use the party finder instead for anything above Abyssals (Argos, Legion raids). It's not instantaneous, especially if there's a support shortage at that time of day, but should definitely be faster/easier to coordinate than just jumping into the normal waiting room.

No one tells you this because it's not really an intentional feature of the system, just how things naturally evolve because people don't expect good things out of the random queue.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Jossar posted:

No one tells you this because it's not really an intentional feature of the system, just how things naturally evolve because people don't expect good things out of the random queue.

And they aren't wrong, as hard dungeons and guardians will demonstrate.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Jossar posted:

When you say queues, do you mean matchmaking queue? If so, that's probably because most people use the party finder instead for anything above Abyssals (Argos, Legion raids). It's not instantaneous, especially if there's a support shortage at that time of day, but should definitely be faster/easier to coordinate than just jumping into the normal waiting room.

Eh party finder was empty thats why I queued

e: seems better now, I guess I was just too early in the day

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Man... I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, but levelling through this poo poo is *rough*. (Scrapper, ~lvl 30, just unlocked the stronghold.)

Like, I'm the kind of weirdo that insists on sitting through cutscenes and reading all the quest text no matter what, and I started just clicking through this stuff a fast as possible at like... level 20-ish? Around the third or fourth time Generic Pretty Boy Protagonist #1 turned into a demon to steal a kill from the actual interesting character, e.g., ME. :argh:

I can forgive bad translations, cliché story beats, filler quests, generic NPCs, and/or pointless combat encounters, but all of that at once is... pretty rough.

I heard this story about Black Desert Online, don't know if it's true, but I'm curious if it's what happened here: a US or EU company acquires the distribution rights for a Korean MMO. Afraid of the infamous levels of grind, they buff XP rates, or give some sort of blanket stat-buff to every character below max level (because "the game doesn't start until 50 lol") and it just... completely trivializes what looks to be a fairly well-designed, engaging combat system because everything in the levelling zones just EXPLODES.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

No, unfortunately most of that is exactly the case in Korea too. It gets better, if that helps. The story starts getting more tolerable once you leave Luterra, for instance. But the leveling section is really more just an artifact of the game as it started which can't be removed without derailing the whole thing/exists to ensure you get collectibles from finishing some of the sidequests. The gameplay gets better once you get to at least North Vern, and then again once you reach the final tier of the endgame, which is the longest and most sustained part of the content. But even Smilegate acknowledges that the leveling process is terrible and even in Korea they frequently offer tickets to just boost you to at least the start of the endgame as quickly as possible.

EDIT: I think we might have technically had an objectively easier start experience than Korea did and now even moreso, but even with no bonuses at all, if you only use the stuff that drops off the ground, anything that isn't that one temple dungeon in Yudia or a gimmick dungeon is nevertheless a joke for the entirety of the baseline leveling process.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 26, 2022

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Ah well, I'm apparently a masochist and exploding 50 dudes with one flaming Atomic Elbow Drop hasn't gotten old yet - I'm in. What's the goon guild name on Una? :razzy:

edit: nvm, figuring it out!

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ghost of Starman posted:

Man... I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, but levelling through this poo poo is *rough*. (Scrapper, ~lvl 30, just unlocked the stronghold.
Lost Ark failed in KR when it launched because of this content. It wasn't until legion raids that it rose from the ashes and exploded in popularity. Although there are cool pieces of content before then, and I personally enjoyed T2.

There are a few odd players who say the leveling was the best part and they quit when they unlocked the game everyone is playing, but for the most part people agree with you.

Jossar is right that it gets a bit better once you get off of luterra. In fact, you can see the game's quality increasing over time as you progress through each bit of content. Well, kinda. I'd say rohendal and yorn are notably better than what came before them and content after that is similar quality but with a more experienced team building it.

The game's world/lore isn't so bad as a whole. Saintone has some videos going over it. It's not groundbreaking and it's never very effectively conveyed in-game, but it's not as cliche/terrible as the core story would have you believe.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2022

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Khorne posted:

Lost Ark failed in KR when it launched because of this content. It wasn't until legion raids that it rose from the ashes and exploded in popularity. Although there are cool pieces of content before then, and I personally enjoyed T2.

Weirdly, that does make me feel a little better about it. It's still vaguely mystifying that it exists in this form at all, though. Like, if it was just hugely grindy timewaste-y nightmare - if the quests were "help us rebuild the walls by ferrying rocks back and forth 15 times" instead of, y'know "move one rock 15 feet okay thanks whatever" - if the fights were huge sacks of HP that took way too long to kill - it would make *more* sense to me. As is, it's just like... the whole thing feels so desultory. Like "we're making an MMO so I guess that means we need 50 hours of quests and killing random monsters, and video game artists are a dime a dozen, sooo... Hyung, crank out 50,000 words of generic fantasy plotline for us, we'll find somewhere to use it."

Did the game always start at level 10? The whole thing where you pick a class, then immediately pick your "advanced class" without actually doing anything, smacks of "oh poo poo people hate our game, let's skip them past as much of it as possible to get to the new stuff."

(Plus side: I'm on a boat, I'm done dealing with the Lilliputians' bullshit*, I'm only a few levels away from 50 which I hope means I can get started on the REAL grind, and I've somehow found myself embroiled in a bona fide anime tournament filler arc WHICH I AM 100% OKAY WITH CURBSTOMPING)

*okay the beetle mount is p. great, not gonna lie

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

No, you used to have to play as a generic mage or martial artist or whatever for 10 levels before choosing your actual class. It's weird how you can see the skeletons of their old game design still.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It definitely feels like you can see the stitches of some hasty surgery in places... I'm guessing the first mount originally came later? The "welcome to our church, have a free horse" thing felt... weird at the time, and the later quest that's like "It's a long way on foot; you should get a horse!" and then "Mission: Ride Your Horse Across This Fuckin' Bridge" kinda seem like where it might've originally been... :crossarms:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Lost Ark is doing a Witcher (Game) crossover now in Korea and NA/EU in January. If I am wearing a Witcher cosmetic my mount had better randomly end up on a building roof when summoned.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Having just rushed through all of Shushire recently, my first thought was "hey they've already got a white-haired gravelly-voiced dude who fights with zweihanders." I wonder if the two will meet and have a glower-off.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hey, just found some info that I wish I'd had earlier, might be nice to add somewhere that future newbies can see it:

"To make it harder on gold-farming bots, any gold rewards below Level 50 have been removed from the game. Unfortunately, after you unlock your Stronghold (but likely before you hit level 50) you'll run out of things you can do to continue leveling it up, and the "welcome to your stronghold!" questline likewise requires you to craft something, which requires at least a few gold. This can be very frustrating.

Keep your eye out for Merchant Tago, one of the wandering merchants who will visit your Stronghold every ~8 hours or so. He might have one of the following recipes, which can be crafted with silver instead:

Merchant Tago:
Crafting Recipe: NACT-1 Counter
Crafting Recipe: Urr's Tree Bench
Crafting Recipe: Awning
Crafting Recipe: Dyorika Waterwheel

This should allow you to at least progress the quest and hopefully hit Stronghold Level 10, which will let you unlock the Farm.
(And once you hit 50, look for the Tooki Island event notification and try and get to one of those; there are plenty of ways to earn gold but that's one way to at least get a pittance, which will enable a whole bunch more Stronghold researches and Craftings.)"

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Huh, thought it would be announced here already, but...

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1599856432790310927?cxt=HHwWnsC4geC86rMsAAAA

Basically confirmed that the full December update is next week, including the new Cube/Boss Rush difficulties, the 1490 Chaos Dungeon, Caliligos, Summoner release, a new pack of skins, Bracelets, upper relic tier stuff, and Brel's Big Bad Ballbuster of a Legion Raid.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Summoner class! :toot:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am super pumped for Brel, been looking forward to it from even before I started playing. Got my whole roster ready though I am still waffling on my 6th, I enjoy my Reaper a lot but the damage is lower than I'd like still.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

I am super pumped for Brel, been looking forward to it from even before I started playing. Got my whole roster ready though I am still waffling on my 6th, I enjoy my Reaper a lot but the damage is lower than I'd like still.
I have 6 characters ready for brel g1-g4 and one ready for g1-g6. Not sure I will run that many week 1, but my static has 6 runs planned altho 2 are g2, 3 g4, 1 g6.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you to all the folks that have been helpfully answering questions in the Discord. Relatedly: is there a consensus on whether it's best to save up Una's Tokens for the biggest bag o' gold, or does it not particularly matter? Initial attempts to Google have been inconclusive.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's pretty much a wash between the large and mediums. Buy the larges if you want to gamble on the 10k gold bar, mediums if you want consistency.

Khorne posted:

I have 6 characters ready for brel g1-g4 and one ready for g1-g6. Not sure I will run that many week 1, but my static has 6 runs planned altho 2 are g2, 3 g4, 1 g6.

Yea that's pretty much where I am at, though we're likely not doing g6 week 1 cause a few of our people are not quite there and we don't want to "force" them to dump a ton of gold when we can wait a week. I also have a couple extra 1490s that I likely won't run Brel on right away due to all the alt shuffling I have done, they are mostly there for the new guardian/chaos dungeon. 6 Brels will be plenty, not jumping at running 2 more that don't even earn gold.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 11, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

Yea that's pretty much where I am at, though we're likely not doing g6 week 1 cause a few of our people are not quite there and we don't want to "force" them to dump a ton of gold when we can wait a week. I also have a couple extra 1490s that I likely won't run Brel on right away due to all the alt shuffling I have done, they are mostly there for the new guardian/chaos dungeon. 6 Brels will be plenty, not jumping at running 2 more that don't even earn gold.
I think we'll all be 1520 but it's hard to say. I am 1515 and not even sure I'll make it on bound mats.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 11, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Goon group on East just cleared G1-2 of Brel tonight and it was super fun. Gate 1 is pretty much just there for you to flatten for mats as long as you understand the mechs, but Prokel is the first real roadblock and it took us a bit to nail down everything. G3-4 might be just slightly out of reach for us as a united group due to scheduling conflicts (Unless there's a lucky hone early in the morning or something), but is definitely within reach for even the lowest ilevel of us by next week.

I personally got lucky enough with honing that depending on my personal clears I might be able to make a shot for G5-6 next week, but I definitely feel like even without getting to the end of the raid i'll be making solid progress.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jossar posted:

Goon group on East just cleared G1-2 of Brel tonight and it was super fun. Gate 1 is pretty much just there for you to flatten for mats as long as you understand the mechs, but Prokel is the first real roadblock and it took us a bit to nail down everything. G3-4 might be just slightly out of reach for us as a united group due to scheduling conflicts (Unless there's a lucky hone early in the morning or something), but is definitely within reach for even the lowest ilevel of us by next week.

I personally got lucky enough with honing that depending on my personal clears I might be able to make a shot for G5-6 next week, but I definitely feel like even without getting to the end of the raid i'll be making solid progress.
G3 is extremely good. In terms of flavor & having fun mechanics it's pretty high up there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 18, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I really like gate 3 and 4 a lot, they were both very fun to learn. Gate 2 really depends if you're the inside person or not, I did prokel in 4/6 of my statics so it's my favorite fight, but the outside part is kinda boring/easy. Gate 1 is a joke, one of the easiest gates of any raid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Feeling like casually playing lost Ark but I have no idea what I’m doing. I banked up a good chunk of gold from selling T1 materials at launch and can just buy story skips but my highest ilvl is like 400.

So, what should I do? Chaos dungeons? Islands? Raids? I’m very confused by how much poo poo there is to do, but there’s not a great road map in the game for what I should be doing.

E: assume I just finished the lowest level knowledge transfer on a new character.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 18, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

jokes posted:

Feeling like casually playing lost Ark but I have no idea what I’m doing. I banked up a good chunk of gold from selling T1 materials at launch and can just buy story skips but my highest ilvl is like 400.

So, what should I do? Chaos dungeons? Islands? Raids? I’m very confused by how much poo poo there is to do, but there’s not a great road map in the game for what I should be doing.

E: assume I just finished the lowest level knowledge transfer on a new character.

https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/post-50-guide
https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/road-to-rohendel

These are the general and more specific guides for how to get to the highest level of vertical progression as quickly as possible, which sort of also serves as an introduction to the horizontal content.

Off the cuff:

Generally speaking the most important thing to do is your Chaos Dungeons and Una Tasks (daily missions). Depending on how many of the good islands you have left untapped, those are next. The problem with Guardian Raids is that nobody really does the low level ones any more and they're a pain to solo with early gear unless you're very good at Monster Hunter-esque combat. But you should still be able to find the occasional high level who just bursts past weekly Abyssal Dungeons if you wait in the queue, which will help out with some early gold which you can either save up (which is more recommended) or use to buy mats to burst you past the early content.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Got to like 450 in a day. Honestly, it seems like it actively discourages you from playing after you finish your dailies, unless you like to run around and explore poo poo on your boat I guess

I actually had to switch from US East to US West for ping reasons and so I bought a powerpass and the Level 50 Achievement thing for $20 altogether which gives me 3 fresh 50s, apparently, and a fuckload of blue crystals. Basically did a completely fresh start. Way better than having to do the 1-50 story/quests for 20 hours or whatever.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 19, 2022

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
Short-straw guild leader of AWFUL on NA West here. We're going to clean up the guild a little and remove inactive characters (>6 months). If you've been wrongfully removed, hit me up on discord or just re-invite yourself using the password.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
NA East static looking for someone for Friday night action, inquire within the Discord.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol I dont know who the gently caress asked for this but I will take it

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1612910962826444801

nutri
Sep 7, 2010
I'm always happy to have an event in this game. Free honing mats are always a good thing.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It looks like AGS got around to performing another bot ban wave:

It's funny to see this, because the New World community has started regularly posting images and gifs that look similar to the Lost Ark bot screencaps (e.g. 1 real player surrounded by 6 Level 11 characters named 'eikdddoosdfja"), but that game has never seen a bot ban wave of any magnitude. This graph probably demonstrates exactly why AGS will never crack down on bots in New World, because of the possibility that the game's already unimpressive player population might actually just be a fraction of what the Steam charts show.

Edit: I just realized this ban wave makes the thread's title accurate (again).

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 11, 2023

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
New World should just go all in and sell api access to botters to really pump their numbers up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want an Act IV, as it is right now there just isn't a lot of drive to play Lost Ark. I am mostly just playing to do the weekly's on my characters for the gold.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lorem ipsum posted:

New World should just go all in and sell api access to botters to really pump their numbers up

One step further and create an Idle game that uses the botter api, then sell IAP currency for the idle game

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Devor posted:

One step further and create an Idle game that uses the botter api, then sell IAP currency for the idle game

May as well integrate a gacha as well at that point.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Played this for 11 hours when it came out on steam, haven't touched it since spring, just got a steam notification that I've received a permanent ban? lol?

Judging by the game's steam forums at least I'm not alone, a lot of posts saying they played around 10 hours last spring and now they're banned

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vastakaiun posted:

Played this for 11 hours when it came out on steam, haven't touched it since spring, just got a steam notification that I've received a permanent ban? lol?

Judging by the game's steam forums at least I'm not alone, a lot of posts saying they played around 10 hours last spring and now they're banned

In other words their ban wave failed miserably and caught a bunch of innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Pisssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss 3 sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss