Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i beat brel 4. easy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
got some nice hones so i bet i can get 1520 this week and do 5-6. they look like fun fights. seem sorta like ffxiv savage fights in complexity, which is exciting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/april-update-2023-release-notes

Sick patch this week. Lots of new content with Brel Hard, new guardian/chaos and tower. But we also got the 40% shard nerf which will be a huge piece of them being able to push further content to us at a faster pace. I expect Elgacia and Akkan to come much earlier now and can get us closer to the 3-4 months behind goal they talked about a while back.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/april-update-2023-release-notes

Sick patch this week. Lots of new content with Brel Hard, new guardian/chaos and tower. But we also got the 40% shard nerf which will be a huge piece of them being able to push further content to us at a faster pace. I expect Elgacia and Akkan to come much earlier now and can get us closer to the 3-4 months behind goal they talked about a while back.
KR is also changing elgacia to be gold earning. Seems like things will be pretty nice for us relative to what KR had.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Khorne posted:

KR is also changing elgacia to be gold earning. Seems like things will be pretty nice for us relative to what KR had.

Oh holy poo poo, that is such a good change. My friends and I were dreading adding a 4th raid per character per week to the rotation. When they initially announced the changes to Legion raids/gold earning with the Voldike release I was hoping this would happen, glad to see it eventually did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Having not played this game since US launch, is it worth coming back and starting fresh?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Having not played this game since US launch, is it worth coming back and starting fresh?
No.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

Make sure your account isnt banned first for being away from the game lol.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It depends why you quit in the first place, but compared to launch the game is more or less the same it just has a ton more endgame content. The process to get to T3 has been greatly accelerated, leveling still sucks.

So likely no, but it depends.

I said come in! posted:

Make sure your account isnt banned first for being away from the game lol.

They fixed this months ago.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Count Thrashula posted:

If you are interested in the raids you get to Valtan Hard Mode / Vykas Hard Mode pretty quickly now. Almost instantly for valtan. Valtan is one of the best designed raid encounters in any MMO I've ever played.

The current event gives free 4x3 engravings that you can swap on demand and level 5 gems that have infinite free rerolls and tons of free materials to hit 1445 with.

There's also an event with decent rewards for doing the story, but whether someone does the story or pays $10 to skip it is an individual choice.

The core progression loop is still the same: do 2x chaos at least once every 3 days, do at least one una task everyday. Knockout weekly tasks. Lots of new ones vs launch, including normalized guardians & normalized t1/t2 abyss dungeons.

After the free boost point, there are definitely some issues with catchup, gearing/community gatekeeping, and progression being time gated.

I do think most MMO/ARPG players would enjoy the express event portion. Lots of people don't stick around after that, but at that point you've played 40-300 hours and hopefully had a good time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 14, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
If any goons still playing on NAE and need a static home, inquire on the Discord. Had some folks burnout and throwing a feeler out to see if we can put something back together.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I quit this a long time ago, like maybe a year or so, but I wanted to take a peek into the game for old time's sake since I did enjoy the combat and spectacle very much (mainly wanted to see how Machinist turned out, and see if my account was banned, which it wasn't). Picked a good time to go back as I'm quite surprised at how many QoL and helpful changes they've made not only during my absence, but in the recent patch: https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/may-2023-release-notes

Some notable changes for me:

*Hyper Express event allows you to override your character's engravings: basically instead of your engravings being based on your gear, it's more like a special loadout menu where you can freely set them to 4 lv3 engravings of your choice.
*Looks like the skill tree upgrades no longer are required to be awkwardly attached onto your armor pieces: you can just assign them however you like in your skill tree loadout, and you can obtain upgrades from these new amulet items that drop instead of armor.
*Not only did I get a powerpass from some past events, I just got another new powerpass from this new patch.
*Knowledge transfer is no longer awkwardly limited in uses based on how many of your chars completed the associated story: it's unlimited usage and only takes 10 minutes instead of 8 hours.
*So many growth boosts for honing: higher percentage success, less mats required, etc
*Guardian Raids give you a free assortment of flares, potions, bombs when you enter to use, similar to a Monster Hunter supply chest.
*Cube and Boss Rush has been condensed into a single new dungeon called Ebony Cube.
*Looks like raids are starting to move towards failing mechanics having you take a big hit instead of an insta-wipe, and trying to both make the mechanics more visible (lots of bosses have visible stagger bars for stagger checks when they didn't before, for example) and just generally a bit easier.
*Oh and I guess the Slayer class is female Berserker: that's the main point of the patch but I'm not that interested, but if you are, go ham.

I only got to Argos back when, but now that I could use Hyper Express to get engravings and honing is easier to do and so on, I could maybe get into doing these endgame raids. Then again, the anxiety and setup for raids in the first place will always be an issue and was the main reason I didn't stick around, and furthermore people have moved on, so I guess we'll see whether this change really helps me. Should help a lot of other people though!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 11, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002
any akkan hype

the group I'm playing with is doing hm week 5

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Judging by discord activity, there are like 2 people still playing.

Also targeting week 5 assuming everyone hits their 17s

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I think most of my groups are looking at that timing, I think a few of us could do it on 2 pieces but not enough to be worth the push.

Very much excited though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
15 hour maintenance

worse for EU than NA though lol

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a new SSD and decided to reinstall this bloated game. I don't remember anything, but I am a level 19 Deathblade and the Adventurer Log says I've done 7.3% of Yudia. Although under Main Quest it has a weird picture and no text.

Also, when I logged in I had mail and got a bunch of orange poo poo dropped into my inventory, none of which I understand.

Where should I start?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Having not played for a long time, but still in advance of where you are...

The orange wings are all for an Aura which makes your life more convenient, but I wouldn't recommend using until you get to higher levels, try to find a storage bin/bank to contain them in. The coins/cardpacks/boxes with animals/clothes are worth using right away as they either grant permanent resources that don't take up space or cosmetics. The other stuff/boxes mostly should be saved for higher levels.

The Adventurer's Tome is mostly for collectible completionism and doesn't really matter where you are, unless you want to 100% things as you go along, it's more efficient to come back later. Instead, just look to the right of your screen on the actual game where the orange text is and that's your current main quest. You pretty much want to follow that without doing anything else until several continents from now at which point the game opens up a little. You might have to do a Yellow quest or two if it vanishes just to get the levels to get back on-track, but I think they smoothed out the experience so that's no longer necessary.

Good luck!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Thank!

I wonder if this works on the Steam Deck...
lol it definitely doesn't

E: I have all these things that let me pick from a selection of consumables - is there a specific kind that is best for a Deathblade?

Also, the items that you consume to grant money, or the Pheon or Phoenix Plumes, is there a reason not to use those right away?

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 10, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

You really shouldn't be bothering with consumables until you get to Guardian Raids (monster hunter-esque dailies) at minimum. Maybe some health pots if you're really struggling. The later you can save them for Abyss Dungeons or Legion Raids, the better. At that point, you need them specifically based on whatever it is that you're fighting as opposed to picking them based on the kit you have.

The only reason not to pop Pheons/Plumes/Money immediately is because you might be tempted to use them early, and you really should save them except when you absolutely have to until late-ish in tier 3. Especially the case for Pheons. Less so the case for plumes which drop in usefulness the closer you get to endgame content, although you could always die in something that does use them and lament their absence.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 10, 2023

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
One big thing if you're a brand new player is that they are releasing the new Jump Start servers on Wednesday. These are designed for people starting or coming back to the game and offer a ton of boosts to progression and getting players into the endgame quicker. They will be a fully fresh start so more new people learning raids and unless you have a bunch of friends on the existing servers I would 100% recommending starting on them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cinara posted:

One big thing if you're a brand new player is that they are releasing the new Jump Start servers on Wednesday. These are designed for people starting or coming back to the game and offer a ton of boosts to progression and getting players into the endgame quicker. They will be a fully fresh start so more new people learning raids and unless you have a bunch of friends on the existing servers I would 100% recommending starting on them.

I don't have any friends that play this game lol.

However, I redeemed a bunch of promo poo poo on my current character when the game first launched, assuming my friends would play with me. Not sure if all that stuff is account-wide.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did they ever reduce the amount of homework to do on a daily/weekly basis? Looking at all the poo poo to do, even rested only was exhausting.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Depending on when you quit, yes, no, maybe.

They added challenge abyss/guardian at some point. If you quit before that, it's weekly homework if you want to do it or not. I skip achates and velganos because i don't like them at all.

Chaos dungeon is still 2x a day, but clears are like ~20% faster since things spawn faster and will run to you from the entire map.

Guardians are only 1x a day with rest/rewards adjusted accordingly. Guardian raids through the ice turtle have free battle items available

You are no longer allowed to run brel 5-6 on every character every week. Well technically there isn't a g5-6 anymore, but same idea. Similarly a bunch of terrible gates were straight removed (g1 vykas, g2/5 brel, g1 kayangel)

You have a slight incentive to run raids on characters beyond 6 because you get to buy the end raid boxes for free for those characters for 3 raids, and lower end raids now all drop class accessories at like 50% rate

Cube and boss rush are combined into one thing to do

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

man, my dumb rear end thought that as long as you were on the jump start server, any character you make can get boosted. but you only get 1 boost

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

d0grent posted:

man, my dumb rear end thought that as long as you were on the jump start server, any character you make can get boosted. but you only get 1 boost

2 if you count the boost event that isn't jump start specific

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

2 if you count the boost event that isn't jump start specific

yea but my isssue is I rolled a class thinking "i'll just play this at max level for a bit and I can boost a diff char if I'm not feeling it". And then I wasn't feeling it, and I'm stuck with that char as my only max level on that server

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
I have picked up Lost Ark for the first time and I am just casual player so not sure if I will ever stay to do any hard core stuff because not sure if I have a time to commit to the grind. One thing makes me wonder, are any better armor looks behind cash shop or super end game? I am level 40 slayer and every armor skin look so generic. I am currently at 200 ilvl and main gear difference were stats or colour.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jazzy Jones posted:

I have picked up Lost Ark for the first time and I am just casual player so not sure if I will ever stay to do any hard core stuff because not sure if I have a time to commit to the grind. One thing makes me wonder, are any better armor looks behind cash shop or super end game? I am level 40 slayer and every armor skin look so generic. I am currently at 200 ilvl and main gear difference were stats or colour.

Better is in the eye of the beholder, but basically any time you progress to a new gear item, the appearance changes, even if it's minimal. Some people like the much older gear appearance compared to the ones closer to end game, but really they're almost always covered since skins give a minor stat increase. I think they added an item that lets you transmute gear pieces into actual skins when they added yozs jar.

For example, I think for bard, the base armor skin is mostly the same one you get relic gear at 1415 all the way to 1580 with changes to color and some ornaments each time you upgrade the set at clown, brel, and kayangel. Then at akkan, it completely changes for the worse and looks like a recolor of the generic mage chaos dungeon skin.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I have this pulsing circle on my character in the minimap. What is it and how do I turn it off?

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I Love You
this is one of the most difficult games to get back into after a period away. I have a lvl 50 and loving overwhelmed with all the screens and forgot everything. Dont even remember why I liked this game - everyone was a bot while leveling and no actual sense of community

but for some reason I have the most hours played on this poo poo out of my entire steam library

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Buddykins posted:

have a lvl 50 and loving overwhelmed with all the screens and forgot everything.

Tbh all the interfaces is probably not the worst part of starting (again). Finding raid groups would just be a pain in the butt

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 23, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I tried to come back earlier this year, I played for two weeks before giving up again. It felt too overwhelming, I was way behind on end game content, and the playerbase has dwindled to almost nothing, with botting still being a problem.

I think its best I just remember my first few months fondly with this game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm one of those weirdos who would love to play more of this game if I didn't have to find a raid group to unlock more main story and get area completion. I liked playing up different classes, exploring and collecting stuff but never even fought the deer thing let alone a legion raid. Those underwater dungeons were enough for me to swear off it since I come and go too much for a regular group. I finally uninstalled after maxing out all the rapports prior to the PvP continent and getting to the point where it was dumb not to either get a carry for Argos or just quit playing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I basically ran into the same thing. Lost Ark came out at a really good time since I was heavy in some FFXIV burnout and hey, cool game with fun combat and lots of activities and low stress quests and island dailies to do, good stuff.

Then I ran smack dab into the “OK, now you have to learn and execute these dungeon fights and do them weekly to get rolls on cards for later progression and also you’re subject to heavy RNG to improve your gear” wall around 1340 or so, and nope.

If nothing else LA is going to have disproportionate representation in my steam profile’s “rarest achievements” showcase.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My hot take is that Lost Ark end game was better in tier 1 and 2 where you got your gear and ranked it up from chaos dungeons. Got enough to do the next story quest chain, rinse and repeat. The moment it hit that point where you could only do raid content is when it falls off for most everyone that got to that point.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Not only is raid content the only way to progress, but they don't even have re-entry with no rewards so friends can't help you out unless they've rolled a bunch of other alts at exactly the right gear level. And raids or even just guardian fights require consumables to be effectively run which are tied to an actually important currency so pugs end up being super stingy about bringing consumables which just leads to complaining from all parties.

It's a real shame since the combat is so fun.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 23, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

And raids or even just guardian fights require consumables to be effectively run which are tied to an actually important currency so pugs end up being super stingy about bringing consumables which just leads to complaining from all parties.

For the most part you have effectively unlimited free consumables, at least for the ones that are considered necessary, unless you suck and drink purple potions like water or you run way too much stuff. This doesn't stop people from being stingy, even when the consumables are actually straight up free in guardian raids under 1540.

Like if you're chain darking every daily/weekly and chugging purple pots, you'll probably run out of offensive/potion chests, but I'm not sure how you'd ever run out of utility chests, which are usually what's demanded for guardians

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like I sorta liked the raiding in Lost Ark but I quit shortly after Vykiss.

Grinding dailies and chaos dungeons with x alts just for currency got really dull. The raids were cool the first time but doing them over and over again every week with multiple characters just got daunting after a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Even as someone who liked the process, the increasing toxicity of pick up groups, especially for low level Legion Raids just to bring up alt characters was becoming insane. Maybe sticking with one character would have saved me in the short term, but most of the groups I knew were starting to flame out around Brelshaza anyway and I would have been left in the same position even on my main. And now, even if I wanted to come back, my 1519-ish Deathblade is too low for high level groups, but too high to join a committed friend group.