Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Applied for discord guild (discord name: refragged). Can't decide between Gunslinger or Wardancer. Help me god!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spuckuk posted:

Am I the only EU player boarding this?

EU player here, will take a look on release.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Applied for discord guild (discord name: refragged). Can't decide between Gunslinger or Wardancer. Help me god!

Both?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game strongly encourages alts but but choosing that first character will be tough!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Game strongly encourages alts" is a really strong selling point for me, gotta be honest

One of my favorite things about GW2 is how much it encourages you to have a fleet of alts to play, so more of that is always nice

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Joined the Discord, will be starting as an East Coast Bard.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Joined the discord. That video posted earlier has me pretty excited.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m not going to say this is the best video on Strongholds but the huge takeaway should be don’t sleep on building your stronghold

https://youtu.be/4pSd5yg3Pis

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Probably shouldn't pick up a new game but I remember seeing the initial trailers for this a few years ago, getting super hype, and then being immensely disappointed that it wasn't available in the US. Awesome to see it coming stateside finally.

It seems like this is less grindy than the average MMO but how does that look in reality? Am I going to be missing out on a lot if my playing time averages out to maybe 4-5 hours a week?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Probably shouldn't pick up a new game but I remember seeing the initial trailers for this a few years ago, getting super hype, and then being immensely disappointed that it wasn't available in the US. Awesome to see it coming stateside finally.

It seems like this is less grindy than the average MMO but how does that look in reality? Am I going to be missing out on a lot if my playing time averages out to maybe 4-5 hours a week?

The game heavily rewards people being invested time wise, up to a point. Playing very casually, you'll always have something to do when you login, but you won't be doing the highest level T1 content, which is not a huge deal imo. (Hitting level cap does't take long at all.) The only issue I foresee down the line is whenever T2 launches how that initial hump will look in NA, that would be the real point where you might have a feeling of being left behind if you're not yet ready for it.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

PrinnySquad posted:

Please post your awful pun guild names for us to fight over.
Awful names and maybe puns in 20 characters:

Lost Ark in Area 51
Whale Wgt. Watchers
Amazon Does DallasDungeons
Bought F2P Game
Custom Heads Only

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have figured out which class I want to play (for my first character at least).

Considering how many goons are east coast in comparison to west coast I might just play over there. If people played this when the servers were in russia I can't imagine across the continent is much worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw my ping from LA to the east coast server was 89 ms and my ping to the west coast one was 49ms.

Not a huge difference imo

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
For anyone wondering about their ping:

https://www.cloudping.info/

Easy way to check your ping in Virginia vs Oregon.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The community is losing their minds about no January update yet. So many people think it's being delayed. Roxx is saying multiple times there's no delay. She did say multiple updates this week.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

One for each delay

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Am I the only EU player boarding this?

There's at least three of us!

PrinnySquad posted:

The game heavily rewards people being invested time wise, up to a point. Playing very casually, you'll always have something to do when you login, but you won't be doing the highest level T1 content, which is not a huge deal imo. (Hitting level cap does't take long at all.) The only issue I foresee down the line is whenever T2 launches how that initial hump will look in NA, that would be the real point where you might have a feeling of being left behind if you're not yet ready for it.

They introduce catch-up gear with every tier of content bringing everyone just below the poopsockers so it shouldn't be too bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there not a video that just goes over the classes and how they play without getting into super try-hard ranking or focusing on PvP? I feel like I have some ideas on class, but it'd be nice to hear more about how each class plays.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there not a video that just goes over the classes and how they play without getting into super try-hard ranking or focusing on PvP? I feel like I have some ideas on class, but it'd be nice to hear more about how each class plays.

I don't know if this is too meta-tryhard-focused for you but I think this video is pretty good, it's well organized in chapters so you can scrub to the sections that interest you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjYdMoNWzA

If you're looking to dig a bit deeper on particular classes then this guy has made a whole series of videos giving an overview of each class in prep for the global launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amk8YYAMGGg

Re: Server, I'm in central so it's whatever for me. Rolling on East sounds fine considering there will probably be a larger NA playerbase there (and EU folks playing on NA).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That last one is perfect. Thank you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

209 ping virginia vs 37 oregon, guess that makes it easy for me

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Decided to check this game out, despite the hype I really don't think I want to go in too deep into a new game. Just something to enjoy as I recover from breaking free from playing gachas over the last few years.

Of course the hardest thing before a new MMO is deciding on a class. I'll check out those videos linked earlier.

I see this is an alt friendly game, but I honestly just want to pick one to enjoy casually.

Edit: Shadowhunter is looking fun, I think I'll give that one a go.

Tyberius fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 25, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm waffling hard between Striker (which looks extremely cool and fun) and Paladin (which looks less immediately fun but being able to easily get groups as a support really appeals). Picking a class is hard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those in-depth class videos were great.

I'm thinking probably Paladin, which seems like a popular choice. Or maybe Artillerist/Sorcereress. Gunlancer looks surprisingly fun to play as well.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’m betting a lot of pubbies who have just been looking at the game casually are gonna roll a paladin and then get real angry when they realize it’s a full support class and they will get kicked for even pretending they can dps (i’m probably rolling a paladin)

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I’m picking my class based on what looks the coolest, so right now I’m torn between Berserker, Wardancer, Artillerist, Deadeye, Sorceress.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

A Real Horse posted:

I’m picking my class based on what looks the coolest, so right now I’m torn between Berserker, Wardancer, Artillerist, Deadeye, Sorceress.

But you forgot Gunlancer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dreffen posted:

But you forgot Gunlancer.

It's funny, I almost put the fact that I didn't like Gunlancer's ascetic. It's just a little too over the top for me, something I think I am going to find is the case a lot in this game. Like, I'd like to play Sorcereress, but the outfits and voice acting seem a bit... much.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Paladin is perfect for me because I generally enjoy playing support, but the typical MMO trinity setup puts an enormous burden on healers (and tanks) for keeping everyone else alive. In this game it seems people are mostly responsible for themselves and I can just kind of Do Stuff while passively supporting the team, but there's still some good room for clutch moments to save people who screw up.

Demonhunter will probably be my main alt to have some face-smashing contrast, and I've heard (for reasons I don't quite understand) they're apparently very cheap to gear up, so double win.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

In the beta I found demon hunter to be the most viscerally satisfying class to play in terms of aesthetics/sound design/gameplay flow. very uh coherent and cool looking

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the class breakdown videos sold me on Gunslinger and Artillerist.

so far.

west coast server crew!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to go East Coast after all since the server ping is around 80 - 90ms, and that is where most of the goons are going to be playing.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Internet Explorer posted:

It's funny, I almost put the fact that I didn't like Gunlancer's ascetic. It's just a little too over the top for me, something I think I am going to find is the case a lot in this game. Like, I'd like to play Sorcereress, but the outfits and voice acting seem a bit... much.

Gunlancer is 1000% over the top, but there's something about lances and shields (ala Tera) that I love.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm almost certainly going to main bard, but for my damage alt...after watching the videos I'm torn between shadowhunter, soulfist, and scrapper. I really like all their aesthetics.

Then I watched videos for the unreleased classes and got sad reaper isn't going to be available. it looks unique even compared to the other assassins.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I wanted to play summoner but no...

Did I hear she's getting a rework soon in KR and that's why they felt comfortable replacing her in this version?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I tried a few classes over the beta and on RU, but Scrapper definitely seems the one for me.

Artillerist was really neat mind, lotta boom

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I’m going to play a Paladin (love 2 read books to my friends) but I definitely need a smash things class as well — leaning towards Berserker, but yeah shadow/demon hunter is really growing on me.

Why the hell are all the classes so good/fun??

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm going to tell everyone I'm in Australia so I can blame all my deaths on lag

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm going to tell everyone I'm in Australia so I can blame all my deaths on lag

I actually am in Australia so all my deaths will be because of lag!

Still not sure what class I'll play, in the technical... alpha? beta? I tried out the magical class they took out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Are there classes that can do short 'shadowstep' teleports or put down a portal for friendlies to go through? Most of the videos I've seen you just go into a pack of mobs and then come out the other side.