Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I wonder how many hardcore New World players haven't logged into that game today because they've been waiting for Lost Ark to come online so they can create a character. It seems like an efficient way for Amazon to hurt both games simultaneously.

The player count on Steam jumped from 250k to 500k in the last 10 minutes, so it looks like something has finally changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

2DCAT posted:

I'm Robert! I'm not a child, I'm a peddler! A proud peddler!
A true peddlerphile!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

2 questions from somebody who hasn't played the game but has become interested in keeping track of the problems Lost Ark has been having with bots:

1. Has there been a big return of real-life players to the game since the extreme bot wave that happened last week? The Steam maximum concurrent player count number has been steadily increasing since the ban wave, but I don't know if that's a reflection of players coming back to the game or just bots figuring out how to recover from the new anti-botting measures. I know there's a content update for later this week, but I don't have the perspective to know if it's meaningful enough to bring players back on it's own.
2. Is there any legitimate way/reason for players in the Eastern Hemisphere reason to play the Steam version of Lost Ark? The game only has servers listed for the Americas and Europe, but the player population numbers don't drop as dramatically as I would expect during non-primetime Western hours. For example, the lowest concurrent player count yesterday was 250,000 and the highest was 350,000, but I would've expected the floor to be much lower when none of the geographic areas were in primetime gaming hours. It makes me think that there might still be hundreds of thousands of bots still in the game 24/7 that keep the population floor artificially high. But I might just be ignorant of a legitimate Asia/Oceana population that plays on the Western servers for community reasons or something.

I'd also be interested to hear from any active players about their anecdotal observations of bots in the game pre and post ban wave.

I was genuinely shocked at how much the most recent anti-bot measures culled the player population, and now I'm interested in trying to determine how deep that rabbit hole goes. It seems plausible that there were literally 10 bots for every 1 person in the game until last week, and even now it might be something like a 3 to 1 ratio.

I suppose my ultimate motivation is just the schadenfreude in the idea that AGS published a Free-to-Play game with aggressive monetization policies and somehow managed to let 3rd-party services reap much of the profit from that monetization scheme.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

I don't know if there's a big return of real-life players but I've certainly seen less bots in the last week and no queue times at all compared to 10000+ queues previously. They're definitely still present though and it might just be it'll take them a bit to level up and get to T3 areas again. From my perspective, the only content that will actually get players to return in big numbers will be new class releases. A single fight in Vykas isn't going to bring anyone back because of the grind involved to even access the fight. Players will return with the release of a new class and/or a catch-up power pass or event neither of which are slated for this patch. However, there is one slated for next month so that might bring some interest back.

I'm not sure how they do it, but NA-W has a pretty decently sized population of CN/OCE players. I assume a good VPN. A lot of people blame CN for the bots, which has some truth to it, but I do see a significant amount of party finder listings in Chinese for Valtan so there's at least some population that are just normal players and not bots (or maybe both) from the east.
It didn't look like the patch was enough to justify the daily increase in population the game is seeing (with like 75,000 higher population today than immediately after the ban wave), but I was struggling to even understand most of the mechanics that the patch notes were describing.

The graph for the player populations looks even weirder if you zoom in to just the 24 hour view:

I don't know if those sudden drops are what happens when a game server resets, or a bot farm goes down (either crashes or gets IP-banned or something), but even if you ignore those, it's weird to see a game with such a stable sine wave with no obvious inflection points or variance like you typically see for an international game that's focused on 1 or 2 regions.

Usually when a game is only played/popular in a single region, you wind up with the crazy-skewed graphs like you get with Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (which is kind of a dead game in the US but is hugely popular in the AS region):

Anyways, thanks for the info. It helps give me a baseline as I check in every few days to see if there's any more sudden spikes of exponential player growth.

Edit: I tried figuring out this kind of stuff by lurking the Lost Ark forums, but it seems like almost every post is a ban appeal request, so I'm not sure how much I'd trust any information I could glean from there.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

There are definitely a lot of chinese players on NA West as well, lot of party finders advertising in chinese with wechat codes.
Silly question that I wouldn't expect you or anybody to be able to answer, but is there any way to know for sure that these are 'real' players and not some kind of system for bots to find each other or just the Chinese equivalent of gold selling spam?

It's not that I think all Asian players are nefarious in Lost Ark, it's just my understanding that almost all the large-scale gold sellers and bot networks are based out of the AS region and it seems inherently suspicious that a Chinese player would choose to play Amazon's version of Lost Ark that's years behind the SmileGate version and doesn't provide any servers closer than the ones in Central Europe.

Cinara posted:

Mari has had queues again starting yesterday, so the bots are back in significant numbers again.
This is crazy, and makes me wonder if there are certain servers that are even more heavily invested with bots than others. It's like a World War Z situation where all quarantine measures have failed and some servers just become 1,000 bots to every 1 player. I would assume that botters would want to be equally distributed across all servers, but I don't understand their business model well enough to know if that's even a reasonable assumption.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Cinara posted:

There's no servers for China or Oceania. The only real choice for them is to either play on one of the more "dead" regions like Russia or Japan, but those come with a ton of other caveats. Or they can play on the western launch not in their own region and most of them opted to play on NAWest because at launch it had the best pings for them.
Ah, I didn't realize there were servers for Russia or Japan. The official Lost Ark server status page just lists Western regions, so I assumed the Asia versions would have much better latency for anybody in that entire third of the globe, but if they initially offered support there and then dropped it, that would make sense for them trying to stick with the Steam version of the game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

quote:

Fixed an issue causing the "Crystal Benefactor" title to be considered new each time Lost Ark was launched.
hahaha finally!
In New World, AGS has had continued problems since launch with it's Achievements & Titles system, with the game not properly tracking progress, or deleting progress, or giving messages on every login or zone transition for every achievement you've ever unlocked like you just acquired them for the first time.

Does this patch note mean that Lost Ark has had similar problems?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Jesus. That's a good example of why I don't think AGS will ever expand into the console market; imagine them trying to interface with Xbox Live or PS+ or whatever when they still haven't figured out Steam achievements in the past 3 years (or even just their own internal code for handling persistent player data).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I'm hearing reports that the new event involves waiting afk for several minutes to listen to the sound of waves on a beach? Supposedly there are 3 daily quests that each have separate 3 minute afk timers to wait out?

Also, comms are saying there's a new boss fight that's borderline impossible and upon completion doesn't seem to drop enough coin to even cover the repair costs from the fight?

Confirm/deny?

(I was just trying to see if there was a screenshot of the new Captcha system in action and could only find posts complaining about the new event)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Today's Lost Ark population numbers show a huge drop off, with almost 100,000 players disappearing over 7 hours this morning. Have there been server problems today, or is this just another ban wave of bots? I assume the latter, as I couldn't find any official announcement about server downtime today, but I figure you all would be able to say for certain.

It seems to pretty closely mirror the drop off of the last ban wave they did 2 weeks ago, but it doesn't look like the population numbers have hit a floor yet.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

This may be a weird question, but it appears you don't play the game but pay I credibly close attention to the concurrent player numbers. It just seems like an odd fascination to me. Why do you care about player metrics?
I like to check a handful of games' player counts routinely because it fascinates me when AAA titles like Battlefield 2042, New World, Halo Infinite, etc. manage to release in such a state that they result in nearly 0% player retention a short time after launch. It's easier to check the populations than to read each game's Steam page to check for updates or new content. I think it's interesting to dig deeper into colossal failures (even beyond the realm of video games), because ever case scenario usually has a different set of root causes for the failure.

For Lost Ark, I became intrigued with the game after the first bot ban wave revealed that there was something like a 10-1 bot-to-person ratio, which blew my mind because of how excessive that seemed. Since then, I've added the game to the list I follow to see if the game ever figures out a way to 'fix' that problem, and what the actual player count is if they ever manage to get rid of the bots.

Today's dramatic drop off went from a high of about 250,000 players to a new low of about 120,000 people, and that number is still falling. I just wanted to check in to see if there was a legitimate reason for this (related to server issues or Steam problems), or if this implies that bots managed to make up more than half the game's population just 2 weeks after the last ban wave. That seems fascinating to me. That's not to say that I assume the game is a failure like some of the other games I mentioned, just that it's in an even weirder place where it seems unknowable how many real, human people are playing the game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Zotix posted:

It was never 10:1, that's a huge exaggeration. 4:1 at worst, concurrently logged in.
Using numbers from steamdb.info, it shows that on June 12 the peak concurrent population was 886,000, and at this point the daily population graph didn't really show peaks or valleys because of how many bots made up the population 24/7.

If you look at the graph of the player population after the anti-bot measures and heavy ban wave 2 weeks ago, around July 1st, the concurrent population dipped to 90,000 players (presumably most of which were humans) at it's lowest point:

So during non-peak hours, I think it's pretty clear that the ratio was close to 10-1. You can argue that the ratio wasn't as bad during prime-time hours, when players made up a larger % of the population, which we can estimate to be around 150,000 players if we trust the highest peak after the ban wave, but even then you'd be looking at a 5-1 ratio.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Great to see the game still bringing new players through regular patches and events. So many of them working diligently through the quests in the sub-50 zones :3
Lost Ark would like to welcome it's newest players, including:

quote:

Afpkgtg
Bwhagrzqwz
Cizngn
Drioaurqg
Hfunmikg
Kklibtk
Kssscr
Lcuaxuj
Leluwbnh
Mmbtbgxssnyixe
Ortmcace
Pakajm
Rajpbpha
Rgfkte
Rqrgyq
Rwbnabu
Sbesebawspz
Skofyknfa
Vhogkafprtgwirs
Wcxzkpjea
Xtmzmemln
Yfmtmxdijv
Yhvactlzuw
Yiuxluvqy

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 2, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Khorne posted:

They deleted these mails and claim to be taking back the pheons in ~20 minutes.

Free pheons & battle items sure sounded nice to me.

e: apparently they might send them out again after the maintenance?

When we've messed up similar things at work we just pretended we did it on purpose and customers raved about how they love us.

When AGS/SGR mess up, they piss everyone off by throwing insane amounts of effort and inconvenience into unwinding something plays universally loved. At the same time, they put no effort into fixing major problems and create new major problems with half-assed implementations like the AH buy limit being once per 10s instead of 6 times per minute or any type of modern rate limiting implementation to shutdown ah bots without making it unusable for normal players. They didn't even do a maintenance to fix the constant disconnect issues all week.

It's funny to think about how a problem like this gets introduced, and then how the decision to 'fix' it is equally clumsy.

quote:

"Pheons claimed from these emails will be deducted as well."
It sounds like they're even willing to leave players with a negative pheon count to ensure nobody benefits from the mistake?

Reading through the Lost Ark forums and subreddit is hilarious. This seems to be a catalyzing incident for the community that has been growing more and more frustrated with the game for months.

I think this is finally a problem with the game that has to be AGS' fault, despite the fact that they're technically only the game's publisher and it's never been disclosed how much of the game's management is under their control versus Smilegate's.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 14, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Khorne posted:

I suppose I'm more upset that they are so poorly ran that they'd make the same mistake over and over again?
I haven't followed Lost Ark nearly as closely as I've followed New World, but AGS seems to be incapable of learning/growing/improving from past mistakes. They just did a soft reboot of New World a couple weeks ago with 'Fresh Start Servers', and immediately experienced all of the same server-based problems that the game had at launch, and are continuing to repeat the same mistakes at addressing those problems.

It feels like a symptom of a toxic work environment, where every employee is following management tasking to the letter instead of pushing back on bad decisions, but I'd love to get an in-depth autopsy of the company to learn more about what's behind all of this.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

Smilegate are the ones that make the game, AGS is just publishing it.
Yeah, I directly referenced this in my first post.

Players have been quick to defend Lost Ark/AGS by saying "AGS only publishes the game," and relying on the fact that we don't know what aspects of the game AGS is involved in, and where SmileGate is involved, to deflect criticism. The argument kind of goes like, "if you don't know exactly which team is responsible for the problem, you shouldn't blame anybody."

But issues like accidentally giving players rewards in an email, and then taking the servers down for 2+ hours to remove those rewards (even if it results in a negative balance for players who used them), is entirely within AGS' area of responsibility for the game. There's just no way this is somehow the result of a SmileGate employee making a mistake and then calling long-distance and yelling in Korean about how important it is for players to not get free resources.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Olds posted:

I still have my pheons from this morning so no harm, no foul.
Yeah, it looks like the backlash was severe enough that they changed their position:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It looks like AGS got around to performing another bot ban wave:

It's funny to see this, because the New World community has started regularly posting images and gifs that look similar to the Lost Ark bot screencaps (e.g. 1 real player surrounded by 6 Level 11 characters named 'eikdddoosdfja"), but that game has never seen a bot ban wave of any magnitude. This graph probably demonstrates exactly why AGS will never crack down on bots in New World, because of the possibility that the game's already unimpressive player population might actually just be a fraction of what the Steam charts show.

Edit: I just realized this ban wave makes the thread's title accurate (again).

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 11, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Man, AGS couldn't have scripted a funnier combination of screencaps:

The first post is from their official forums 2 days ago, but the player complaints seem to be more recent (or at least the subreddit's stickied post about them is).

Meanwhile, the game's player count has already increased 66% from 2 days ago after the ban wave:

So this doesn't seem to have been the silver bullet AGS was hoping for.

Edit: It seems like the unwarranted bans happened just today, different from the bot ban wave. You can tell by the Steam reviews that are pouring in now from people who haven't thought about the game in nearly a year and were greeted with a ban message as soon as they started up Steam today:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 14, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The story continues:

The first official response to this issue was posted 5 minutes ago:

The game has received nearly 1,000 new negative reviews on Steam in 1 day because of this, which may eventually turn the game's overall review grade from "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed" if it continues:

The game has gained another ~25,000 players since yesterday, showing the same linear growth of bots that the game has always seen after ban waves:

Khorne posted:

This was kinda deliberate. They're unbanning people who contact them within ~24 hours.

They'll likely unban many accounts early next week due to the outrage it is causing.

This whole post is a lot of bending over backwards to make stuff up and defend AGS.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 14, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The new Witcher crossover update went live this morning. Here are some highlights.

They implemented a CAPTCHA system for the US-West region with today's update. Here's some examples of the prompts:

It seems like an odd choice to use the word 'inverted' instead of the simpler 'upside-down'. When I think of an 'inverted animal' I always think of the failed teleportation scene from Cronenberg's The Fly.

The patch also introduced a weird rendering bug for the gunslinger class:

GIF of what the bug looks like in motion: https://gfycat.com/possiblefaroffafricanmolesnake

They also released this message on the Official News part of their forums, which I thought was really funny:

"To avoid further issues we just turned everything off."

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Update: Apparently there's a new UI for upgrading bracelets, but players are reporting that the game hard crashes if you open the UI and then click on a bracelet:

Edit: Apparently this is a feature from a future version of the game, and shouldn't have been included in the current Western Hemisphere version of the game.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 18, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

New update released a "Tea Time" emote that let's you make it look like characters are kissing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Having not played this game since US launch, is it worth coming back and starting fresh?
No.