Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can see glimpses of the actual proper combat system while leveling when doing field bosses with a small group of people. Even having them be more common would have helped immensely with the difficulty thing.

Reality is that they should have the option to enable a hardmode from the start that doubles enemies HP and triples the damage you take.

Yea, Lotro added Deadly 1-6 that added scalable difficulty to the landscape basically by putting a permanent debuff on you. The problem is that it doesn't actually make the landscape more interesting (unless you are playing in a group), it just takes a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
MMO design basically has these cornerstones:

- Make the game easy for casuals because they just want to blow stuff up and chill
- Stretch out content as much as possible because gamers play games faster than new content can be made
- Tryhards that want to play the hard endgame content are willing to ground though hours and hours of mindnumbing casual content and it will slow them down so they don't clear the whole game in one day

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

explosivo posted:

Has an MMO ever had a difficulty slider apart from the Hard/heroic dungeons (which this does have)?

Yep, DDO/Lotro do. Surely there are other examples too.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

So, does anyone have other sorc build ideas? I've been trying this one and.. it is absolutely terrible.
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/sorceress-leveling-guide

The text mentions focusing on fast cooldown skills. And then doesn't at all leaving you often with everything on cooldown. It also skips inferno which is where you get a bunch of weakpoint boosts. Including the only one that can crack boss defense mode. Kind of weird they are skipping it. And other skills are being skipped as well even when they too have other defense skipping options like rime arrow. I guess I should check if there is another guide, but just saying for anyone following, it'll drive you batty for how much you'll be chucking auto attacks still at 40 just because they put waay too much weight on skill 10 too early. But also chose some really questionable skills (seriously, explosion is dumb since a little add can just block it from hitting the boss you wanted to hit while punishing strike does the same without the same problem)

Outside that, I'm at level 40 now, and I have to say this game would be better off if it more focused on those large set pieces. Just had my second one and man was that good. Similar to the castle wall one was. I may also be slightly biased because sorc is all about large aoe too, but combing through those two events was cathartic for me.

Eh you aren't wrong, but I followed it all the way to 50 and was seriously outclassing literally everyone else I saw in a dungeon. Explosion is kinda nice against bosses.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Xalidur posted:

My pals who are 50 mostly have 40 seeds or less, I'm only 43 but I have more than 250 seeds. I'm winning.

I... have 6

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I know crystalline aura has a bunch of stuff on it but is anything on it actually useful other than the +2 bifrost slots? I kinda don't understand why I would pay for it.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Plus it lets you use your pet to repair gear and access your stash in the field.
And the +1 rapport actions is presumably nice if you get the ignea token brainworms and are trying to max out npc rapport in a region to 100% its adventurer tome, since that's heavily realtime gated.
(You get a skill point potion for collecting 8 ignea tokens from 100%ing 8 continents so if you want to have an ~optimal build~ you will eventually need to suffer through that crap).

Fair enough I guess I could see that being useful later.

As a note to anyone who levelled a character to 26ish in order to pvp: You have to buy awakening shards from the general merchant in order to use your awakening skill

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I fought the guardian bear a couple times yesterday when I first hit those fights and it generally went super smoothly, so today I jammed more rocks into my gear and tried literally the second guardian fight, the white lion guy. Well our group failed with him at like 6% HP according to the game, with me as the last one alive (though I did die once when I got stuck in a corner with my dodge on CD). If it's already this bad I can only imagine what actual difficult content is going to be like with pubs lol. Still fun though, I kept trying and failing to get counters off even though I'm a Deathblade because no one else in my group seemed to be even trying to. Do you need to be directly facing the enemy when they're blue to counter them or does hitting them at all with a counter skill while they're blue work?

Haha I think I was literally in that raid with you, I also failed that raid yesterday with the boss super low and a deathblade in group. I ran it back and completed it fairly easily (good bard rng the second time). I think I saw something about needing it hit them in the face with the counter skill?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

Anyone that has played a Bard and DPS at 50 that can compare how the Bard does in solo stuff like Chaos Dungeons? Debating whether I want to use my second boost on Bard.

Its fine but also you don't have to solo chaos dungeons

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I've just been grinding out the fights until i'm good enough at them to beat them. It really isn't a luck thing.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Amazon is going to take a look at this and decide that the real key to success is financing another korean MMO but this time from start to finish and we'll finally get the proper sequel to Ragnarok Online.

Good, they suck at making video games so I hope they stop. Maybe we will get another dragon's dogma.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I really hate how i'm trying to do a fun guardian raid or abyss and some berserker comes into it like 500 gearscore above the encounter and just carries me. I like... want to play the game you know?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

For gearing up alts, there's also the tower dungeon. The first time clear gives stuff relevant for the roster overall (engravings, skill potions), but each subsequent clear on an alt gives upgrade materials for equipment honing.

Some guides even recommend doing the first clear on the alt to funnel more materials into your main.

I've found dreamgull island to be extremely good also, but it requires you to unlock a song and an emote in order to 100% it

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh, to be clear, it's completely painless right up until the dungeon bosses, all of which appear to be immune to CC until you burn through that bar. Those are the main point solo sucks at. Anything else dies fast, no issue.

As a sorc player - you just gotta work the attack patterns. Theres usually time to weave in a long attack after dodging something. Play in melee range and be kind of bold when your dodge is available.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, theres a fairly safe spot in like the 45 degree angle between the side and the back on both sides for Vertus. You just have to keep up with someone spinning him in circles...

Chromium - yea idk you just have to know when to dash away and not get faked out by the double slam

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Are you kidding me? Thats the only thing that was keeping me playing

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I dunno man, have any of you done those guardians at exactly item level with a group that is also exactly at item level? I've been in what felt like strongly competent teams doing the mechanics and it takes AGES

If 'nerfing' the fights here just means a reduction in the bloated HP values I'm all for it. That honestly doesn't change the difficulty for me, just the tedium

EDIT: in particular I felt like vertus/tatylos had fat hp

Yea, I ran them all as soon as I could. Yea, vertus did take us a number of tries but it wasn't /that/ hard. I wish they would just add a difficulty setting instead.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably because most people are terrible at video games so having them all matchmake and fail in T1 abyssals is turning them off from lost ark. Why do you guys care if they nerf poo poo you aren't even doing anymore?

Because alts and it feels like a general policy thats going to carry though to the rest of the game

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
So whats the 411 on gunlancer specs? My gut tells me that combat readiness gunlancer is throwing because lone knight gets the same utility with more damage. Is there some mechanic later that requires a tanky boy?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lone Knight
+ great damage, one of the best stagger capabilities in the game, great utility, second most durable class in the game after Combat Readiness Gunlancer
- miserable mobility, hard-to-hit skills (almost every skill you use is some variation of long, narrow melee cone that locks you into a pretty slow animation), most of your skills do extra damage when hitting the front of the boss which means you kinda have to facetank for optimal performance, while not being nearly as good at facetanking as Combat Readiness Gunlancer, so you have to actually learn boss mechanics, learn to dodge, learn to manage your shield meter and turn it on and off as situation demands, etc...

Combat Readiness
+ solid damage, still great stagger capabilities, great utility, great mobility, most durable class in the game, easy-to-hit skills
- lower damage and stagger than Lone Knight Gunlancer and you don't actually learn boss mechanics because you just kinda pop shield and then pretty much roll your face on the keyboard in front of the boss until it dies, ignoring 95% of thing it does. :v:

You will run taunt, AoE Shield and Bash with defense reduction Tripod on both specs, so their utility is more or less the same. IIRC in Korea, Combat Readiness is vastly preferred, because the bosses will get a lot harder to hit due to their mobility and mechanics and Lone Knight Gunlancer will begin to struggle to actually land their skills on them, so Combat Readiness will also do more damage and stagger in practice, but I think the Western release is not at that point yet, so they are more or less equal for current content.

Great thanks for this!

e: Ok cheaper is good, i'm sold

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Relic: Golden Wave Island - No mobs, so you can just run around with the scanner going. However, it feels like there are only a couple of spawn spots, so this won't be an efficient use of your time perhaps

I also spent a number of hours on golden wave island. If you play at prime-time find somewhere else. The island literally can't support more than 1 person relic hunting at a time. Its decent however if you are the only person there and get a good loop going.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

So, finally hit 50. What can I actually do with friend(s) who are also at 50 before finishing the story? Seems like every piece of level 50 content is locked way further into it, just making sure I'm not missing the opportunity for the grind to finally start paying off.

Chaos dungeons and guardian raids you can do about after 10 minutes of questing once you reach vern. If you aren't at vern yet, you likely will be soon

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Hefty posted:

Made the mistake of watching some Scouter videos last night and now I’m feeling even more impatient for it to be released here. I don’t normally like pet classes, but it was my fav on RU.

https://youtu.be/3BGuV0qo9Ek

Man that class looks so annoying to fight against but I do love seeing paladins get hosed up. People that play paladins in 1v1 are psychopaths

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Anyone have tips for playing Robust Spirit Soulfist in T3 raids? I boosted one because I was really enjoying it in PVP, but i'm finding the famine part of the rotation when hype is on cooldown really really brutal. I get that i'm supposed to be burst dpsing, but am I supposed to literally do nothing when I'm out of hype?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Cinara posted:

Not sure how far in you are but the higher your specialization the lower the downtime gets. Once you're at full good quality relic gear, and soon with the additional stats from bracers your downtime will be like 15 seconds or less. But yes, you essentially do no damage outside of the hype state.

Yea OK sounds like I just need to keep struggling until I have better stuff then

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'm surprised at how long the queue times are even for like Argos raids on the weekend. I know its not super endgame but I'm still surprised it takes like 30 minutes for the queue to pop.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Jossar posted:

When you say queues, do you mean matchmaking queue? If so, that's probably because most people use the party finder instead for anything above Abyssals (Argos, Legion raids). It's not instantaneous, especially if there's a support shortage at that time of day, but should definitely be faster/easier to coordinate than just jumping into the normal waiting room.

No one tells you this because it's not really an intentional feature of the system, just how things naturally evolve because people don't expect good things out of the random queue.

Eh party finder was empty thats why I queued

e: seems better now, I guess I was just too early in the day

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
New World should just go all in and sell api access to botters to really pump their numbers up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Scoss posted:

Endgame progress that is nothing but highly choreographed puzzle fights where each participant must study the encounters in detail using external materials, rather than engage in a natural learning process involving trial and error (otherwise known as "playing a game") is an absolute kiss of death. It leads to an insane level of toxicity and social barriers between people already inside the club because they rode the first wave VS everyone else trying to get in. Total poison for new and returning players.

The worst part is I super don't mind grinding it out until everyone learns the fight but I don't think anyone else in the game is interested in that. I feel like the game would be amazing if there was a way for everyone to chill out and just fail a gate for like an hour until you succeed.

I also quit just before Brel because pugging is literally impossible due to the above and I never found a super consistant group to play with