Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Man... I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, but levelling through this poo poo is *rough*. (Scrapper, ~lvl 30, just unlocked the stronghold.)

Like, I'm the kind of weirdo that insists on sitting through cutscenes and reading all the quest text no matter what, and I started just clicking through this stuff a fast as possible at like... level 20-ish? Around the third or fourth time Generic Pretty Boy Protagonist #1 turned into a demon to steal a kill from the actual interesting character, e.g., ME. :argh:

I can forgive bad translations, cliché story beats, filler quests, generic NPCs, and/or pointless combat encounters, but all of that at once is... pretty rough.

I heard this story about Black Desert Online, don't know if it's true, but I'm curious if it's what happened here: a US or EU company acquires the distribution rights for a Korean MMO. Afraid of the infamous levels of grind, they buff XP rates, or give some sort of blanket stat-buff to every character below max level (because "the game doesn't start until 50 lol") and it just... completely trivializes what looks to be a fairly well-designed, engaging combat system because everything in the levelling zones just EXPLODES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Ah well, I'm apparently a masochist and exploding 50 dudes with one flaming Atomic Elbow Drop hasn't gotten old yet - I'm in. What's the goon guild name on Una? :razzy:

edit: nvm, figuring it out!

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Khorne posted:

Lost Ark failed in KR when it launched because of this content. It wasn't until legion raids that it rose from the ashes and exploded in popularity. Although there are cool pieces of content before then, and I personally enjoyed T2.

Weirdly, that does make me feel a little better about it. It's still vaguely mystifying that it exists in this form at all, though. Like, if it was just hugely grindy timewaste-y nightmare - if the quests were "help us rebuild the walls by ferrying rocks back and forth 15 times" instead of, y'know "move one rock 15 feet okay thanks whatever" - if the fights were huge sacks of HP that took way too long to kill - it would make *more* sense to me. As is, it's just like... the whole thing feels so desultory. Like "we're making an MMO so I guess that means we need 50 hours of quests and killing random monsters, and video game artists are a dime a dozen, sooo... Hyung, crank out 50,000 words of generic fantasy plotline for us, we'll find somewhere to use it."

Did the game always start at level 10? The whole thing where you pick a class, then immediately pick your "advanced class" without actually doing anything, smacks of "oh poo poo people hate our game, let's skip them past as much of it as possible to get to the new stuff."

(Plus side: I'm on a boat, I'm done dealing with the Lilliputians' bullshit*, I'm only a few levels away from 50 which I hope means I can get started on the REAL grind, and I've somehow found myself embroiled in a bona fide anime tournament filler arc WHICH I AM 100% OKAY WITH CURBSTOMPING)

*okay the beetle mount is p. great, not gonna lie

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It definitely feels like you can see the stitches of some hasty surgery in places... I'm guessing the first mount originally came later? The "welcome to our church, have a free horse" thing felt... weird at the time, and the later quest that's like "It's a long way on foot; you should get a horse!" and then "Mission: Ride Your Horse Across This Fuckin' Bridge" kinda seem like where it might've originally been... :crossarms:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Having just rushed through all of Shushire recently, my first thought was "hey they've already got a white-haired gravelly-voiced dude who fights with zweihanders." I wonder if the two will meet and have a glower-off.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hey, just found some info that I wish I'd had earlier, might be nice to add somewhere that future newbies can see it:

"To make it harder on gold-farming bots, any gold rewards below Level 50 have been removed from the game. Unfortunately, after you unlock your Stronghold (but likely before you hit level 50) you'll run out of things you can do to continue leveling it up, and the "welcome to your stronghold!" questline likewise requires you to craft something, which requires at least a few gold. This can be very frustrating.

Keep your eye out for Merchant Tago, one of the wandering merchants who will visit your Stronghold every ~8 hours or so. He might have one of the following recipes, which can be crafted with silver instead:

Merchant Tago:
Crafting Recipe: NACT-1 Counter
Crafting Recipe: Urr's Tree Bench
Crafting Recipe: Awning
Crafting Recipe: Dyorika Waterwheel

This should allow you to at least progress the quest and hopefully hit Stronghold Level 10, which will let you unlock the Farm.
(And once you hit 50, look for the Tooki Island event notification and try and get to one of those; there are plenty of ways to earn gold but that's one way to at least get a pittance, which will enable a whole bunch more Stronghold researches and Craftings.)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Thank you to all the folks that have been helpfully answering questions in the Discord. Relatedly: is there a consensus on whether it's best to save up Una's Tokens for the biggest bag o' gold, or does it not particularly matter? Initial attempts to Google have been inconclusive.