Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I really want to know how the backend is architected if you can have a successful open Beta period and then get stuck like this on open release. As far as I know the game never even went live so people could try to login.

Is there a hard coded number somewhere that wouldn't work when they tried to spin up one server too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Do you get any class engravings for your alt when you power pass them or are they kinda stuck with nothing?

Also, do you have to go through their awakening quest?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

According to this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/su1694/how_to_farm_engraving_books_for_your_characters/

The engraving book rewards aren't one time only?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

FutureCop posted:

Right now I'm deciding between Scrapper and Glaivier to be my third alt - who gets the powerpass? Tempting to also use it on paladin in the hopes that parties are better in later tiers and therefore feel not feel so hopeless playing a support (I think Gunlancer is the superior support anyway).

I main paladin and it really isn't that bad at stagger and destruction if you squeeze in Punishment and take the right tripods.

Executor's Sword and Punishment as a one two feels pretty good during stagger checks. You do have to play careful that Executor's Sword isn't on cooldown during the important timings but it's not really any worse than playing Sorceress and needing Punishing Strike.

Glaivier seems pretty good and I kinda want to Feiton PP it but I'm also not sure if I want to use it on a bard or deathblade instead.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

imo Charge is the pick to swap for things. I like having Godsent around to save people from death or just tank mechanics.

I personally got rid of Godsent because it's long CD and hard to land at the right times. The damage is pretty crap too.

I don't get why the meta build emphasizes max dps on everybody and then tells Paladin to take that skill. Charge is also pretty forgettable but moving faster between encounters is nice.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Hefty posted:

you are taking the shield and 70% damage resist tripods…right? paladin is strictly a support (for group content) and any damage is incidental to some other affect. charge is great for positioning and once you’ve got enough points you get a personal shield as well.

Yeah but you basically have to be free and ready to shield a dude right when he takes a big hit. You can't really cast it below a boss for dps because the DR only lasts for a second and people should be avoiding hits entirely. Not to mention most of the time somebody needs it you're also dodging poo poo so standing still to save somebody else will just get you killed. It just feels bad to use most of the time for the maybe 1% chance you can actually use it for something cool.

Maybe some later fights will have mechanics more suited for it or maybe I'm just not good enough, but I'm not a fan at all.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

afkmacro posted:

So I'm a big casual and I'm stuck currently because I ran out of this thing called oreha fusion material. Where do I get more besides the auction house?

Auction house is the best way, otherwise you have to craft them at your stronghold from fishing, excavating, or hunting mats.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Discospawn posted:

2 questions from somebody who hasn't played the game but has become interested in keeping track of the problems Lost Ark has been having with bots:

1. Has there been a big return of real-life players to the game since the extreme bot wave that happened last week? The Steam maximum concurrent player count number has been steadily increasing since the ban wave, but I don't know if that's a reflection of players coming back to the game or just bots figuring out how to recover from the new anti-botting measures. I know there's a content update for later this week, but I don't have the perspective to know if it's meaningful enough to bring players back on it's own.
2. Is there any legitimate way/reason for players in the Eastern Hemisphere reason to play the Steam version of Lost Ark? The game only has servers listed for the Americas and Europe, but the player population numbers don't drop as dramatically as I would expect during non-primetime Western hours. For example, the lowest concurrent player count yesterday was 250,000 and the highest was 350,000, but I would've expected the floor to be much lower when none of the geographic areas were in primetime gaming hours. It makes me think that there might still be hundreds of thousands of bots still in the game 24/7 that keep the population floor artificially high. But I might just be ignorant of a legitimate Asia/Oceana population that plays on the Western servers for community reasons or something.

I'd also be interested to hear from any active players about their anecdotal observations of bots in the game pre and post ban wave.

I was genuinely shocked at how much the most recent anti-bot measures culled the player population, and now I'm interested in trying to determine how deep that rabbit hole goes. It seems plausible that there were literally 10 bots for every 1 person in the game until last week, and even now it might be something like a 3 to 1 ratio.

I suppose my ultimate motivation is just the schadenfreude in the idea that AGS published a Free-to-Play game with aggressive monetization policies and somehow managed to let 3rd-party services reap much of the profit from that monetization scheme.

On NA West, there are definitely still bots and early game areas had bot trains even immediately after the ban. Gold selling spams did get a bit better but that's coming back as well.

There are definitely a lot of chinese players on NA West as well, lot of party finders advertising in chinese with wechat codes.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Smythe posted:

i did na west on some idk server. many thanks for the info all cheers

You can play the end game content cross server (as long as its the same region) so it's not a big deal, you just won't be able to join the guild.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like I sorta liked the raiding in Lost Ark but I quit shortly after Vykiss.

Grinding dailies and chaos dungeons with x alts just for currency got really dull. The raids were cool the first time but doing them over and over again every week with multiple characters just got daunting after a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Scoss posted:

Endgame progress that is nothing but highly choreographed puzzle fights where each participant must study the encounters in detail using external materials, rather than engage in a natural learning process involving trial and error (otherwise known as "playing a game") is an absolute kiss of death. It leads to an insane level of toxicity and social barriers between people already inside the club because they rode the first wave VS everyone else trying to get in. Total poison for new and returning players.

Isn't that the basic WOW raid formula though? Feels like it's been that way in every MMO. The only thing uniquely bad about Lost Ark is that we were getting catch up content from Korea so all the tactics were figured out for everybody period instead of everybody except day 1 raiders.