Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
As fearful as I am of some of the more grindy and MMO aspects of the game, I am still rather excited to check this out. The cool classes/combat/bosses and the news that they are taking measures to reduce said grind, among other things, is helping assuage me. Caught between starting as a Gunlancer and a Gunslinger/Deadeye: my MMO instincts push me to Gunlancer so I can tank it up and get party priority queues (and it helps that I like Monster Hunter gunlancing) but the part of me that wants the most complex, unique, crazy class wants Gunslinger/Deadeye for that smokin' sick weapon-switching style. Did anyone else see a particularly unique or flagship class in their beta experience? I always like to see if I can go for the most different/unique class for a game, like going for Mesmer in GW2 which was very Guild Wars specific compared to the usual warriors and wizards (not to say they can't have their unique quirks, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I've seen a lot of posts about the importance of having a bunch of alts - is that a hard and fast requirement? How behind/disadvantaged would someone be who doesn't really bother with more than like... maybe one alt tops? The repeated emphasis on "alts important" is one of the biggest things that's turned me off from further looking into the game, to be honest.

Just as a heads-up, from what I hear, the upcoming EU/NA Lost Ark release will have something called 'knowledge transfer' where as long as you have a max-level character, you can boost an alt to max-level with a bit of in-game gold. Certainly takes a big worry I had about this game off my shoulders: I love trying out tons of characters but hate doing multiple boring early-game/story runs to get them up, and now it sounds like we only have to do it once and can skip the others up.

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/mega-thread-knowledge-transfer-aka-boost-alts-to-lvl-50-with-gold/37788

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

So like if I choose a class I end up hating in this f2p game am I like stuck or ...

As people have said, you can't go wrong having some extra alts, there are a lot of test areas to try out a class beforehand, etc, and to add onto all that, there is something called 'knowledge transfer' where, for a small amount of in-game gold, you can boost a new character to max level if you have a max level character already (so if you hate your first character, just boost up an alt that you do like to max)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Eimi posted:

Do all the melees have positionals? They're not my favorite thing but sorc is proving to be a lot squishier than I thought it would be (and I mean partly I'm terrible,) so thinking of trying out Soul Fist to DBZ it up or maybe Scrapper because Vi and I was told it's on the tankier side (and really the only tanky option if you want to play as a woman).

From what I understand, certain attack skills can have a 'back attack' or 'front attack' property on them, either by default or user-selected by a tripod for that skill, indicating that they do increased damage when using that skill at the back or front of the enemy. Similarly, certain attack skills could also have a 'counter' property, indicating that if you use it on a boss at their front when they're in a blue counterable state, they'll be stunned (if not at the front, it won't work). I don't think you deal more damage in front or back universally for all attacks if that's what you're worried about, just on a specific per-skill basis, though I think you can get certain engravings that increase damage if you attack front or back of enemies, so that might be a slight factor, but I think you'd only get such an engraving if you were a class with many back attack skills to make it worth. So yes, there can be some positional play at work, but you'll need to check your skills and build to see when it applies, if at all.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 9, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Is anyone playing Sharpshooter?

Because I sorta agree I'm finding Paladin a little "meh" to play solo and maybe leveling a pure DPS first and just boosting Paladin will be better. I could go Sorceress like everyone else, she does look really fun to play, but I really like the aesthetic of Sharpshooter so I'm curious about it. It's the only gunner class I'm interested in really.

I hear you on Sharpshooter: I was quite interested in them since they do feel quite simple, safe and fluid while still having a nice little complexity in switching between ranged and melee moves (where the ranged attacks are your power attacks and melee moves have special properties like charging up your hawk meter). I always like classes that have a little back-and-forth, a little bit of all, like a red mage or something, haha. Charge moves look really satisfying as well. However, I am probably going Deadeye just because they have the same style I'm looking for where switching weapons makes you alter your attack range but in a more complex way (and for some reason I really like complexity). All of the gunner classes look quite fun to me though, so I could imagine me alting all of them just like how I have a bunch of alts in DFO.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 12, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Does anyone have advice on building gunlancers? I'm following the typical guides and such but man, I'm surprised by how anemic and wimpy the class feels, and this isn't even compared to DPS classes like my Deadeye, I mean he's even underperforming compared to my support Paladin as well. I'm just finding it really difficult to do any damage: yes, I know that's not their primary goal, and the shield is nice, but I wasn't expecting it to come with such a serious trade-off. I tried going into a Un'nil raid solo with a vanilla support-ish Paladin and a vanilla blue-ish Gunlancer, fresh out of powerpass: both just 320 and with a basic build, no engravings or anything. The paladin killed it with 8 minutes left, the Gunlancer timed out with 25% hp left. Is this just the tax that comes with having a big shield? Maybe it just takes longer for them to come online? I was using blue skills mostly instead of red with no blue engraving to boost that, so maybe I was shooting myself in the foot and being unfair, but still, the difference in damage feels staggering.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 26, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

To add onto the bad pubbie stories:

Man, I feel a bit bad. I felt like I was doing great all this time, guardian raids and abyssal dungeons going well, but I just got out of an abyssal dungeon where the boss's health was being reduced waaaayy more slowly than usual. Like, most of the time Garum will die around like 5-6 roars, so like a single rotation of cleansing and a small bit after, but this time Garum got through like 3 full rotations of roars and cleansing before he finally died. On one hand, it was quite enthralling to have such a long and hard-fought victory, teaching the pubbies the strategy through failures and finally overcoming it, but on the other hand, I wasn't sure what the heck was going on to cause such a difference.

That's when I inspected the party member stats for the first time ever and I noticed that all of us were right on the ilvl requirement: 340. After this run, I was checking party members out for other runs, the more typical faster runs, and people were more around 400-500 ilvl range with only me being in the 340 ilvl. Again, I felt bad: here I thought the fights were a well-balanced challenge and I thought nerfs were unnecessary, but now after seeing how spongy and hard-hitting they are for people on-level, I'm not so sure anymore. But maybe this is part of the intended experience? Not to expect it to be balanced at the required ilvl, but to overlevel the difficulty, or to get carried? I just don't know: there could be other factors in play, like how I was a support paladin for the slower run so I wasn't contributing the needed DPS, or maybe the other party members were just bad DPS? Because of the ability to let people of all sorts of gear levels come in and the unclear way on how to measure oneself, now I have this paranoia on whether I'm playing effectively or not: I'm pretty sure I'm doing as best as I can, but sometimes it just feels so confusing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I dunno if I'm being too much of a cheapskate or a special snowflake that wants to be different from the crowd, but I've been real tempted to get into some engravings that I think people are sleeping on and selling for dirt cheap, like Heavy Armor/Emergency Shield for survivability or Ether Predator for damage and protection in one. Yes, I know as a Deadeye I should be focusing on getting something like Master of Ambush or Adrenaline or other meta picks instead (haha Grudge) which I'll eventually need, and I feel like I'm a pretty good dodger already so maybe it'd be best not to get used to having protection as a crutch, but man, they really seem helpful and people sleep on everything that isn't super damage. Especially Ether Predator: sure it takes some time to build up but it's so easy and satisfying to keep the stacks up since it refreshes every pickup and it's so versatile in giving you both damage and protection. Kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter, while everyone wanted damage damage damage I liked getting things like Earplugs (which does somewhat provide easy damage by letting you hit for free during roars).

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

explosivo posted:

Finally getting alt-itis now that gearing up is taking ages. I used my first powerpass on a gunlancer and I think I'm going to love this. Definitely a bit daunting getting started with a new character after 100+ hours as a Bard, especially one that can't forward roll.

I hear you on the alt-itis, and I'm still even in T1. Part of me says that I should just power my main through to higher tiers so he can get access to larger gold which could be funneled downwards to get them up easier, but it's hard to beat the temptation to goof around.

Also, here's a goofy little video for y'all I found that covers my experiences with Ability Stones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PYo5jvfccY

I swear to god, I know everyone says that you're supposed to facet the malus section when you have a low chance because it's a low chance to "succeed" (aka a low chance to get a red colored facet), but I was doing way better with my faceting when I thought the exact opposite, that I should hit the malus section when it's a high chance because it's a high "chance of cracking" (aka a high chance to get a cracked/grey facet). It's seriously making me paranoid.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I really like Guardian Raids: it's like top-down Monster Hunter and I love me some Monster Gunter, but I have to admit that I find it really weird how skewed the rewards are. Unless I'm missing something, comparing the rewards that you get from a on-level Chaos Dungeon to an on-level Guardian Raid, the Guardian Raid gives an absolutely pathetic amount: practically a third of the rewards that a Chaos Dungeon gives. If I didn't like Guardian Raids just for the pleasure of doing them, I would absolutely question whether the juice is worth the squeeze, as it were: I mean, would I rather just do a Chaos Dungeon which is an absolute breeze even solo for tons of loot, or would I want to watch my team get wiped over and over against Nacrasena for a pittance once we finally win? Also I find it weird that Chaos Dungeons are technically infinitely repeatable past your daily two, while Guardian Raids aren't: I'd love to keep doing Guardian Raids and help people out but the system seems to be built against it (another case of the game not highlighting its best parts, being the combat and bosses).

(as an example, I got 125 DSF 350 GSF 10 HL from one Chaos Dungeon, while I got 40 DSF 150 GSF 7 HL from one Guardian Raid, with the only notable difference being the HL for Guardian Raids were unbound)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 16, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I understand that the Guardian Raids offer unbound leapstones as a difference from Chaos Dungeons, but again, it seems like a paltry amount considering the difficulty involved plus the fact that you'll likely have to use battle items like flares, potions, grenades and so on which cost gold to buy/craft makes me think whatever gold you get back wouldn't be a net positive (unless you avoid using battle items altogether, which would probably increase time spent and frustrate party members who think you're being a cheapass). Perhaps this is something where it starts to shine post-T1 but before then not so, like Hyper said.

I mean hey, I'll take any excuse to keep doing Guardian Raids: I like them. I just wouldn't blame a lot of people for wanting to skip it because the rewards seem meager compared to the difficulty and cost needed for items and such. If this is just a T1 thing, then I really wish something would be done to address this and make the newbie process easier, like making the starter maps be the more compact ones where you don't need flares and maybe push the monsters like Nacrasena which might need grenades to later tiers (and thus reduce party toxicity from the awkwardness of trying to be cheap and not use items). Let's not even talk about how there is a quest line that teaches you the intricacies of Guardian Raids and helpful tips on battling the monsters that can easily be missed because they're on an island in the middle of nowhere.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Any Red/Lone Knight Gunlancers out there? I feel like I should be going the smart and safe route by going Blue/Combat Readiness and never have to worry about anything as I just soak all damage, but I'm so tempted by explosions, destruction, staggers, counters and just generally having a more active/challenging combat that Red brings. I'm wondering if it would be worth it though: if it is just more work for nothing, as in the added destruction/stagger don't amount to much in a practical sense, then maybe I'll play it safe since Blue is still fun.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Cinara posted:

Just play blue right now IMO, from what I can tell on Korea at the high end people play mostly blue or "purple" where they do Lone Knight 3 Combat Readiness 1. Red does a lot more weak point which can be useful, but it doesn't do that much more stagger and actually does a bit less raw damage. Blue still brings the same counter skill so nothing changes there, and a lot of people still use Surge Cannon for the massive stagger.

I think you're right: I keep running time trial tests and such between red and blue and they practically seem tied in terms of dps, but blue provides so much more safety in both shields and mobility (at least from my silly T1 testing, of course, which isn't quite representative of endgame). It's really odd how red has such a penalty associated to it without much to gain from what I can tell: most class engraving pairs are a balance between sustained and burst but this is more like easy vs hard. I like a challenge and red does tickle my fancy in that sense, but I think I gotta make the smart decision and go true blue (and like you say, I can still get some explosions through Surge Cannon)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

drat, I got my butt kicked: tried doing a ghost ship for the first time solo and while I was able to make it to the boss Nazarick, he was just an absolute HP sponge and I couldn't beat him in time. Had to cart my broken ship back home. Is there some sort of mechanic to this where you do something special to get a damage buff to tear through his shields, or is this something you have to do with a pre-formed party so you have enough damage? I was surprised since, as a public event, I thought it would be like field bosses or rifts where other people would be joining in, but it was just me on that ship. I also thought, since it was lv460 and I was already lv820 that I'd be overleveled, but I guess not.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I know y'all are probably going to call me crazy for wanting to do this, but I've been leveling up my alt and seriously considering paying for the knowledge transfers (currently Rohendel). Yes, the penny-pincher in me does think that, compared to skipping the 1-50 story, it's a steep price for something that's technically not that long, but on the other side, I don't think I'd have fun re-doing the story, time is precious, and I can make up the money doing fun activities, so I think it's worth it for my case. However, does anyone know if I'd be missing something huge that would make it worth it to go through? From what I understand, some people make the argument that I'd be missing all of the rewards you get from the questing, but I don't think there is anything major in there that I can't get other ways.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I've mostly been chilling, making my way slowly through the game. Only just recently made it to T2 and a far ways away from T3. It's nice, but I have to admit, if I did have a reason to rush to T3, my big one would be to put everything on a more even playing field. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the frequency where I get pumped up for a new abyssal dungeon or guardian raid or whatever, only for someone in T3 to come and blow up the boss effortlessly for 95% damage in 3 seconds flat because they are looking for cards. I don't care about the rewards and I certainly don't want a carry: I want a fun journey and a fun fight and unfortunately, being in a lower tier always brings the risk that my fight will be ruined from some higher tier tourist coming down from up high.

Then again, I should probably be careful what I wish for: there have been a few times where I've been in a party where everyone is appropriately leveled but are totally unable to meet DPS or stagger checks and we just had to abandon. Still, even then, I prefer that struggle over a win just handed to me!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

bagrada posted:

Anyone care to talk about what classes they are enjoying and which they aren't at this stage of the game?

My class experience so far:

Deadeye (T3)
Pros-
Very active and unique: feels good to get skilled at stance dancing and nice to always have buttons to press
Very mobile thanks to having so many skill slots that you can dedicate multiple pistol skills just to be used for dodging (whereas other classes would need to sacrifice a damage skill slot to make room for a dodge skill)
Feels very simple to build: only need tier 1 of class engraving so you can get online very early
Nice to feel like both a ranged and a melee fighter, very multi-purpose
Cons-
Quite squishy, which is compounded by being very animation-locked for shotgun/rifle skills which are your main damage (get used to saving your dodge to cancel animations)
Can be annoying when you fumble stance dancing like when you're trying to get to a dodge skill on another stance in a hot spot
For max damage shotgun you need to hug the boss incredibly close which is dangerous (I just use full range tripod instead of close range tripod, I should've been a Gunslinger)
Fighting at range feels dangerous too because sometimes you can't see the boss effectively and get screwed

Paladin (T1)
Pros-
Unique role of healer/support - different perspective on party fights, always wanted in a party
Very flashy and cool effects, despite just using healing skills
Can easily have a second build to use fun sword skills for chaos dungeons and soloing
Cons-
Ended up dropping this for now - felt like no matter how hard I try to shield my party skillfully, it doesn't help when they just keep getting hit by every single attack, and when they can't pass a stagger check and get one-shot anyway
Annoying that main heal is relegated to requiring a full bar (and without full lv3 blessed aura engraving, feels pathetic), and your shield heal tripod adds an extra long cooldown to an already long cooldown so you really gotta time your shields and don't blow it
If your party isn't bringing the DPS or stagger or destruction, it just feels hopeless since you can't contribute to those aspects: it's all up to your party, and if you're matchmaking, it's a roulette spin not in your favor (maybe changes in later tiers or as game goes on and competency rises?)

Gunlancer (T3)
Pros-
Very unique class due to shield ability and backhop dodge
Tanky as hell due to shield, both for main ability and as tripod for skills like shield charge : can straight up ignore mechanics
Super multirole support - has shield skill that can shield the entire party and cure ailments, has taunt ability that can cancel boss mechanics and keep focus, easy counters, contributes incredible stagger for both builds (and incredible destruction, if red build)
Can drag team to victory by being last man surviving
Cons-
Feels like very low damage despite incredible uptime
Feels very slow and clunky - weird backhop, switching shield on/off can be annoying
Blue build can feel a bit too easy and boring at times, can learn bad habits by just shielding through everything
Red build can feel pointless, too many penalties (terrible shield, very feast/famine with too much pressure on landing high-cooldown abilities and hoping you don't miss the boss and get crit) without much gain (lots of destruction)
Bash is the worst goddamn ability in the game with the worst hitbox ever, unfortunately it is required for theoretical best build (I use shield bash instead)

Scrapper (T1)
Pros-
Very active, mobile, and powerful, especially with Taijutsu build: always have powerful yet low-cooldown buttons to push, and tons of moves that double as gap-closers/dodges
Tons of stagger, tons of destruction, can always do those checks without a problem
Fancy two-part dodge dash: do just one dash to save cooldown or do two dashes in a pinch
Cons-
Shock build can feel annoying at times: too many abilities that have too much windup or animation lock and without as much stagger/destruction as Taijutsu (and you're stuck as this until you can get Taijustu engraving)
Can be annoying to have to feel forced to always use gap-closer ability to buff your damage and then cram in as many skills during buff window (but it's low cooldown so very forgiving)
Taijutsu build gets rid of class identity of interesting push/pull yellow/green mana management (this could be a pro for some though)

Glaivier (T1)
Pros-
Feels very jack of all trades and balanced - unique and fun stance dance ability, rare parry ability, decent stagger, quick and mobile due to stance buffs and can fit on extra dodge skills since you have two skill bars, always have buttons to push, not much animation lock at all, actual viable skill alternatives to pick and choose for own personal build without gimping oneself
It's like Dynasty Warriors meets a Final Fantasy dragoon, super cool aesthetic and effects
Stance buffs and tripods just give you tons of stats and guaranteed crits so you practically don't even need extra engravings to get online (apart from class engraving, of course)
Cons-
Stance dancing can get you in a pattern that doesn't always work out - gotta do everything within stance buff windows, but boss won't always play by your timetable
Can be awkward and feel bad if you are forced to stance change before full just to access block/dodge ability, wasting buff opportunity
Not as much stagger/destruction as I'd like to be a true jack of all trades

Right now I'm deciding between Scrapper and Glaivier to be my third alt - who gets the powerpass? Tempting to also use it on paladin in the hopes that parties are better in later tiers and therefore feel not feel so hopeless playing a support (I think Gunlancer is the superior support anyway).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 25, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Cinara posted:

These two statements are directly connected. Gunlancer damage is not low, but if you choose to avoid one of the most important skills it certainly will be.

EDIT: Also every blue build should be using Bash and Shield Bash so you should never have to make a choice between those. If you're having troubles landing bash you can take a small damage hit and use Shield Bash first to ensure you're point blank on the boss before using Bash.

The Ready Attack tripod on Bash is 100% required for getting good damage out of Gunlancer, your entire rotation is based around this buff window.

But I haaaaaaaaate itttttttttt-no you're right, and I'm trying to get used to it now. For the longest time I had a build where I had replaced the traditional Bash with Surge Cannon instead (to bring in more destruction so people can finally cut Nacrasena's drat tail off), relegating Shield Bash to pick up the slack with the armor debuff (but no Ready Attack tripod like you say, so I tried to use the Dash Upper Fire tripod to make up). Wish Bash had the third tripod with the expanded AOE effect by default.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Paladins can absolutely contribute a lot to stagger checks. Executor's sword, Holy Sword and Punishment.

WarpedLichen posted:

I main paladin and it really isn't that bad at stagger and destruction if you squeeze in Punishment and take the right tripods.

Executor's Sword and Punishment as a one two feels pretty good during stagger checks. You do have to play careful that Executor's Sword isn't on cooldown during the important timings but it's not really any worse than playing Sorceress and needing Punishing Strike.

Glaivier seems pretty good and I kinda want to Feiton PP it but I'm also not sure if I want to use it on a bard or deathblade instead.

I think you're right in that they can provide some stuff to stagger checks: it's definitely me just being disillusioned by getting used to parties where I dump all my stagger and then we wipe away because nobody else provides enough, and it just feels much less than if I played Gunlancer or Scrapper where they can practically solo the stagger check, but maybe that's getting too used to extremes. Surprised to see that a lot of people seem to be taking Punishment: I always wanted to take it, but felt like I was gimping my support abilities by veering away from the traditional build (you already saw me screwing myself by veering away from the traditional Gunlancer build haha). What do you get rid of to take Punishment anyway? Godsent Law? Charge?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Oh man, word of warning: be careful if you decide to ever try out Spirit Absorption Lv3 on your character, because once you taste it, you'll never want to take it off and will immediately find a way to apply it to all of your characters. I know I should be putting Grudge or Adrenaline or whatever on, but I just can't stand losing all the positives that come with faster speed in general. Spirit Absorption! Simply walk out of the way of attacks you used to have to spend a dodge on! Enjoy faster charges and lower attack animation commitment which leads to being able to stuff in even more attacks or being able to dart easily out of enemy retaliation! Blaze through the open world with faster than ever traversal speed! The possibilities are limitless! I know it's not technically more raw DPS like other engravings, but I think it technically adds a lot through its freedom. I used to run Heavy Armor for survivability but with Spirit Absorption, I'm so fast I'm never in the way of danger in the first place and can attack so much more.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

cams posted:

uh oh, i want to run spirit absorption and swiftness build on every single character

Welcome to the party, pal!

Though I only run Spirit Absorption 3 on every character. Doing swiftness as well...the speed, my god...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

A stupid question, but I just want a little sanity check to make sure I have all the pieces right:

So I'm currently working my way up to T3 +15 so I can access content like Argos. In the +12/+13 area and working my way up, and I'm seeing that, unlike the previous tier honing that seemed to be focused on getting your success rate reasonably high enough eventually, for this tier the success rate is so abysmally low that you are just expected to just keep cranking the lever until you reach pity with max artisan energy and the game gives you 100% success. Basically the artisan energy pity has been reversed: it is no longer a worst case scenario backup, it is the front-and-center expected scenario for everything, and in regards to additional materials, the focus seems to have switched from using additional materials to increase the success rate, to rather using additional materials to increase the artisan energy you get to reach pity faster. Is this correct?

As said, a stupid question, but I just feel it has to be asked because it's like, wow, really? That's what we're doing now? No strategy or tips, just pure RNG, just keep cranking the lever and watch loads of materials slip through my fingers like grains of sand? I just keep expecting there to be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding on my part. If so, I know the idea is most likely to restructure it in your head and assume worst case always and that any success before reaching pity is the bonus and not the intended so it feels better, and I know that this is definitely not the worst upgrade system in a kMMO, but still...

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 15, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I've made it to Argos P1 finally, so I feel like I achieved a lot and I've had a good time, but yeah, in a similar fashion, I feel like I might drop off soon: probably not forever, but at least for a break, or just very minimal play here and there. I think it's mostly about how limiting and taxing the game can be: my favorite part about the game is cool boss fights, but the higher up you go, the slower it gets and the more you are just stuck fighting one monster for a long time. It's like, what was all that soul-shattering grind to get to 1370 worth in the end? Argos was nice, but not THAT nice. I just feel like I wanna go back to Monster Hunter, especially since Sunbreak is coming soon: there you can fight loads of bosses wherever/whenever and they all contribute in some way, and the grind is so minimal and just fun because it's all about hunting, not hunting but then going to some prison island and buying prisoners every day and then killing some stupid bandits in Shushire. Plus I'm a person who really likes trying out a lot of classes, but unlike Monster Hunter where it is as easy as changing weapons, in Lost Ark, without something like a powerpass, it's such a pain to level up to get to the good stuff (and then as I just said, the good stuff is actually quite limiting). Definitely been a fun time though, for the most part, I guess I'm just hitting the ceiling.

I also might be leaving because I just can't decide between blue/red gunlancer and it's getting annoying to carry both types of gear to switch back and forth, haha. I know blue is the smart choice, but argh, something about red is just so fun! Maybe I should just go blue and roll a destroyer for big booms...

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 6, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I quit this a long time ago, like maybe a year or so, but I wanted to take a peek into the game for old time's sake since I did enjoy the combat and spectacle very much (mainly wanted to see how Machinist turned out, and see if my account was banned, which it wasn't). Picked a good time to go back as I'm quite surprised at how many QoL and helpful changes they've made not only during my absence, but in the recent patch: https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/may-2023-release-notes

Some notable changes for me:

*Hyper Express event allows you to override your character's engravings: basically instead of your engravings being based on your gear, it's more like a special loadout menu where you can freely set them to 4 lv3 engravings of your choice.
*Looks like the skill tree upgrades no longer are required to be awkwardly attached onto your armor pieces: you can just assign them however you like in your skill tree loadout, and you can obtain upgrades from these new amulet items that drop instead of armor.
*Not only did I get a powerpass from some past events, I just got another new powerpass from this new patch.
*Knowledge transfer is no longer awkwardly limited in uses based on how many of your chars completed the associated story: it's unlimited usage and only takes 10 minutes instead of 8 hours.
*So many growth boosts for honing: higher percentage success, less mats required, etc
*Guardian Raids give you a free assortment of flares, potions, bombs when you enter to use, similar to a Monster Hunter supply chest.
*Cube and Boss Rush has been condensed into a single new dungeon called Ebony Cube.
*Looks like raids are starting to move towards failing mechanics having you take a big hit instead of an insta-wipe, and trying to both make the mechanics more visible (lots of bosses have visible stagger bars for stagger checks when they didn't before, for example) and just generally a bit easier.
*Oh and I guess the Slayer class is female Berserker: that's the main point of the patch but I'm not that interested, but if you are, go ham.

I only got to Argos back when, but now that I could use Hyper Express to get engravings and honing is easier to do and so on, I could maybe get into doing these endgame raids. Then again, the anxiety and setup for raids in the first place will always be an issue and was the main reason I didn't stick around, and furthermore people have moved on, so I guess we'll see whether this change really helps me. Should help a lot of other people though!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Since this is a nice group get-together of Lost Arks Anonymous, I may as well chime in: yes, I was super addicted to Lost Ark myself for a considerable amount of time as the core is so good. No other ARPG has come close to having such satisfying feedback, such diverse and interesting classes, such cool boss fights, and such deep systems that allow for skillful expression. I was addicted to Marvel Heroes and Tera as well back in the day, but this was a whole new level. I had loads of fun just running Guardian Raids over and over solo and trying to do it as fast and smooth as possible: very proud of clearing Velganos solo with loads of classes, for example, as it was considered a bit of an 'initiation' to prove yourself ready for raids.

But as said, there is just so much the game does to breed toxicity and get in the way of the good stuff that I just couldn't take it anymore, stopping around Valtan. I've moved on to playing games like Monster Hunter Sunbreak which get me the stuff I want (boss fights and skillful combat) without any unnecessary cruft. I'm also planning on visiting Diablo 4 and Last Epoch as they look pretty neat, and I'm looking forward to Path of Exile 2 as the combat in the game seems much more slow and deliberate in a Lost Ark-esque way. I'm sure there are plenty of neat roguelikes that also give what I want, such as Ravenswatch.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2024