Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

joepinetree posted:

god drat you guys werent kidding when you said that sorceress at low levels feels like cheating.

Definitely feeling this. Shooting out giant elemental waves makes it feel almost effortless mowing through enemies. I just unlocked the big charged up thunderstrike spell, and that feels a bit clunky, though.

The Shortest Path posted:

Sorceress feels really weird to me, idk if other classes work like this or if it's just her but several of her skills do practically nothing while others one-shot entire waves of enemies. Tried them all at max skill level too, this isn't just a level scaling thing.

It's not really a problem I guess because she has plenty of the skills that do huge damage (and they're very satisfying to use) it's just weird that several of the abilities are borderline useless.

In my experience, some of the skills definitely feel weaker than others, but I can still use them while the strong skills are on cooldown. I haven't looked at the skill customization trees much yet, but I'm guessing the weak spells might be useful for placing debuffs or something later on.

EDIT: Also, it looks like many skills have an option to change element. Maybe there will be reason to specialize in particular types of damage.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I'm playing on the first west america server on the list... I think it was called Akan or something. I got out of the tutorial and into the first town two days ago, yesterday I finally claimed my silver pack and played far enough to do a little demon defense mission. It's been fun, but definitely the kinda game I play with a podcast on. There's been a few times I tried exploring, only to find nothing interesting at the end of a dead end because I was supposed to go there for an instanced quest.

That's a bit discouraging, but I do enjoy the scavenger hunt for the little leaf sprout thing. One of them was hidden in a delightfully devious way where you needed to inspect a bit of light, realize it was a hidden jump point, and then poke around in a hidden-perspective nook of ruins to trigger an interact prompt. Also definitely was cool finding a lizard sunning itself by a river, then zooming in to find super detailed scales. It practically looked like the real thing!

The story is sketchy enough to be funny, I laughed out load at several dramatic moments involving our two priest buddies. Definitely looking forward to this big castle dungeon that's coming up.

Apparently Mari is the server if I want to coop with other west USA goons sometime. I'm probably going to let a friend try Lost Ark on my account with a fresh character there. Are there any non-sorceress classes that are particularly good at mowing through the campaign solo? I have heard that berserker is one, any other solid picks?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Kaddish posted:

I'm 45 and slow as hell but you should still group up for dungeons. They are very easy in a group and there's no reason not to.

There's two good reasons to solo dungeons. 1, you can wander off to make a sandwich if you want. 2, you don't have to worry about someone interrupting your podcast wanting to chat. This has been a really nice podcast game, I usually do Lost Ark after I finish with my Genshin dailies.

I got a silver pass, and I usually play 30-60 minutes a day. Sometimes I take a break for a day or two. Currently around level 18, and looking forward to that big fancy castle setpiece.

I'm tempted to get a seed guide and do the full scavenger hunt thing, but I'm probably going to stick with just grabbing what stands out as I mow through sidequests. I'll probably do a second playthrough of main campaign once the Artist or Summoner come out, and that will be a good time to do the completionist run.

Elden Ring is coming in... 11 days? I'm not sure if I'll finish the story before then, but I'm definitely having a pretty good time at the moment.

EDIT: I think I liked the combat in Dungeon Fighter Online a little bit better, but the environments in Lost Ark look much nicer. My favorite part of the game so far is just marveling at the fields and outlook points. Was really cool zooming in on a scenic spot and noticing that hyper detailed lizard just chilling on a rock.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2022

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Artist is coming out soon? Maybe I should give Lost Ark another look, I remember really enjoying a few of those single player dungeons even if most of the game felt like a slog. Having more fancy mage classes to try out would be pretty neat!

The summoner got released in our version in December, right? How does the current version of that play?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

The summoner got released in our version in December, right? How does the current version of that play?

I googled it a bit. Apparently, you summon minions that last 10-20 seconds, and you can recast while they are out to have them do an active skill instead of just basic attacks. I saw 3 different basic summons, and also a mechanic where you build up a resource for big megasummons that just do one big attack.

As someone who really liked the summoner in DFO, it doesn't sound super compelling. That class let you get a whole little army of long-lasting minions, and you could use other skills to buff or mark targets. I'll still give it a try next time I boot Lost Ark up, but I'll probably stick with my sorceress throwing out giant elemental blasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I think my account, I'd gotten through maybe half of the first big chunk of story. They'd tried to make me learn crafting, I'd done the big set piece dungeons where you stormed a castle and messed with water locks in an aztec-y temple. I don't think I was sailing between islands yet, but I wasn't too far off from that. Then again, if my old account got banned as a possible bot, I won't mind starting from scratch all that much.

The water lock temple was pretty cool, and if I play it on normal instead of hard I can spend more time admiring the environmental design and less hyperfocused on keeping minions from rushing me down.