Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just researched the Masterwork food recipes in my stronghold and crafted one of them. Is there a duration on the buff it gives you? I can't seem to see it in the description and want to know if it's something you pop for a dungeon or something you just pop while grinding for a play session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What are the rewards for PvP? 3v3 is fun and if there's small PvE rewards for doing it even better.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What is the average gold income from doing say, a week of daily activities? Is the 600 gold knowledge transfer a big chunk or is 600 not that much by end game farming?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Spent several hours trying to teach Necromancer's Origin to people and while they were willing to learn, their damage wasn't very good and no group ever had all 4 people alive to do orbs.

Then I joined someone's alt clear group and we beat the thing in 10 minutes flat.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah the potion situation seems a little dire. According to what I've read, it's only the western servers that have locked non purple potions from the auction house. This means the only source of the low level green and blue potions is crafting them yourself from your stronghold which is going to be gated by gathering energy or buying the flowers from the marketboard. Unless this gets changed, I expect flower prices to shoot way up in the marketplace as players get into endgame content and use up their potions from questing.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I reached Tier 1 a couple days ago and have done some of the endgame content so let me see if I can analogue this to FFXIV content difficulty.

• Chaos Dungeon: Expert Roulette. Easy content with extremely minimal chance of failure. Actually easy with 1 player instead of 4 at the moment due to mob scaling meaning if you enter this solo there's a much better chance that your AoE mob grinder skills will one shot them.
  • Chaos Gate: Alliance raid (but the easier ones like Labyrinth): 30 player curb stomps.
  • Guardian Raid: Extreme trial. Slightly more difficult content with some mechanics involved. Expect some wipes if you're doing them at the minimum listed gearscore and especially with pugs.
  • Abyssal Dungeon: Savage raid. Much more difficult due to extremely limited healing/revives and mechanics that will one shot the party or lead to an inevitable failure if they aren't handled correctly.

Each of the above 4 are limited in some way for grinding materials needed for progression.

There's also cube, tower, and boss rush which I haven't touched yet but from my understanding:

• Cube: PotD/HoH. Not a separate progression system but contains randomized floors and effects, gives progression relevant rewards, and requires a consumable to even attempt.
  • Tower: No real FFXIV equivalent, but maybe Masked Carnival? First time rewards are for a single character though, so choosing whether to do it on a main or alt is a consideration.
  • Boss rush: No real equivalent, but from reading about it it's like you do every single world FATE in FFXIV at the same time or something

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I was talking more about the time spent in trying to clear them, although thinking about how smoothly the Abyss Dungeon run I had last night with a party that actually knew their stuff it's probably closer to some sort of sliding scale between Extreme/Savage.

The cleansing debuff thing was basically the Aurum Vale Morbol bosses on steroids and I had a number of parties that I was trying to teach the mechanics still constantly fail at picking up the orbs. It's more that the difficulty:punishment ratio in Lost Ark at the moment seems to be way more skewed toward punishment than in FFXIV which leads to a LOT of resets.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Like I said, I spent like 3 hours last night trying to teach people the mechanics of the 2nd Abyss Dungeon and I never once had a party that could all just survive to do orbs. DPS was also all over the place, I swear there were some party members who were determined to just stay as far away from the boss as possible and never hit it.

I ended up joining an alt clear run and one-shot it in 10 minutes.

So, just like PF experience in FFXIV overall. Finding the other competent players is the hard part.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What are some good early game sailors to try and get to fill out my roster? I just have the two from the story and the 150 seed reward one.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Are there still any rewards available for spinning up a bunch of alts on EUW or did they catch on and remove anything of value?

Edit: Just checked, all gone.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
As far as I can tell, this is how gear progression works at level 50+ (only partway through Tier 1 myself so correct me if I'm wrong)

You get your base set of gear for the tier, so for tier 1 this is the ilevel 302 Wish set. To get this set, there's two ways:
  • Entering ilvl 250 Chaos Dungeon and farming a set
  • Finishing the Shushire main story quest
You will need to hone this gear to get to Tier 2 gear which can take a while depending on your farm/play rate and how many islands you do.

On the way, you will pick up purple and orange versions of the Tier 1 gear. If you have the spare resources (looks like just silver for now) you can gear transfer your honed +'s to the purple/orange gear for slightly better stats as you progress toward tier 2. So for example, if you have your weapon at +8 on the blue one and then pick up a purple weapon, you can gear transfer the +8 from the blue to the purple for just some silver. The stat benefits aren't super huge, but they're there and the set bonus is nice. The gear doesn't look any different though. You can also do this if a piece of gear you pick up has higher quality for slightly better stats as well.

Once you get your overall ilvl to 600, you unlock access to Tier 2 Gear. At this point, you will get a brand new set of base gear to work from starting at +0, but you can transfer your Tier 1 Gear at +15 or above into the Tier 2 Gear for an initial +1 bonus to get started. This also means all your unused tier 1 gear honing materials: destruction and guardian stone fragments as well as harmony shards and harmony leapstones are now worthless on that character.

If you plan on taking this game for the long haul and want to do alts, this is where a little bit of planning ahead can help save some time. Islands give you a ton of one-time use chests (unbound) that when opened give bound honing materials across your entire roster for the server. This means that you can potentially open too many Tier 1 chest rewards and have a surplus on your main character that can't be used for anything worthwhile once your main has reached Tier 2. So save those chests and don't open them until you need them. Once you get to Tier 2, you can unlock a research thing in your stronghold to decrease the honing costs for your alts as well so don't put off leveling your stronghold either.

For clarity, the honing materials have a naming convention to help you keep track:
  • xxx stone fragment and Harmony = Tier 1
  • xxx stone and Life = Tier 2
  • xxx stone crystal and Honor = Tier 3

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Looks like the requirements for these two are:
Reach ilvl 802 and research Lab lvl 2. Lab lvl 2 is available pretty much immediately so I was wrong about needing to maintaining your stronghold to unlock these

https://lostarkcodex.com/us/research/310100/
https://lostarkcodex.com/us/research/300100/

I think NEW_CONDITION: 15 is the ilvl requirement which I checked in game.

Edit: And to explain the gold saving thing in a bit more depth and step-by-step:

You can buy certain consumables from the store that are in high demand on the market board at the moment.

A Moon's Breath (tier 2 honing chance % increase consumable) costs 182 gold currently on my server (Rohendal - NA West). Buying purple crystals costs 380 gold for 95 purple crystals. You can buy a stack of 5 Moon's Breath (bound) from the store at the moment for 30 purple crystals. Stuff from this store is only purchasable once per restock, but refreshes and restocks with different stuff every 6 hours.

So if you happen to get any Moon's Breath drops, instead of using them, sell them on the market board, buy purple crystals with the gold you just got, and then buy them from the shop.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 23, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For gearing up alts, there's also the tower dungeon. The first time clear gives stuff relevant for the roster overall (engravings, skill potions), but each subsequent clear on an alt gives upgrade materials for equipment honing.

Some guides even recommend doing the first clear on the alt to funnel more materials into your main.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Lorem ipsum posted:

I've found dreamgull island to be extremely good also, but it requires you to unlock a song and an emote in order to 100% it

Island quests are roster wide and can only be done once. Dreamgull Island gives an absurd amount of materials for a really easy quest, but it can't be done repeatedly on alts.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there any way to see weak point/destruction on tooltips? I see Destruction show up on some of my bigger hits as Scrapper when I hit enemies with it (Death Rattle, Supernova) but I don't see the strength of the destruction listed in the tooltips unlike grenades.

Also, is stagger per-hit or for the overall attack? Because if it's per hit then wow, Chain Destruction Fist is gonna do a LOT of stagger with its 8 hits.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Can you get cube tickets even if you're out of energy for the chaos dungeon? I got a skin set drop for the pants and now I want the top.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you use a rapport gift bomb to skip stat requirements, do you lose out on seeing the quest?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Since I don't plan on playing Berserker or Sorceress and their rare class books sell for a ton more than any other class, I've been opening my chests, picking those books and then selling them on the MB so I can get like 2 or 3 of the books I actually want. It's great.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Afaik, here's what the biggest use for each trade skill is.

Foraging: Flowers and mushrooms for battle consumables. Because the only marketable HP potion for harder content is purple tier, you can save a lot of gold by farming the flowers yourself for HP pots yourself.

Lumber/Mining: Stronghold and ship upgrades. Useful to have a small stock, but you probably won't burn through these mats super quickly. Also required for repairing max durability for tools.

Hunting/Fishing: Food and battle consumables. Potentially useful depending on how much you really want the extra HP for harder content and/or additional consumables like flares.

Relics: Getting better tools and making gold. This is also how you upgrade your tools.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I hit t2 last night. The Scrapper armor looks like the Hellfire armor from FFXIV except that the back is completely open. I think I'll focus on some roster wide stuff now like runes, skill point potions, and like 70% completion for adventure book zones.

Hoping crystal prices drop during the weekdays tough. They were at 500 gold for 95 late Saturday night and I put up an offer Sunday morning but prices went up to like 700 that day.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What I've found is that due to the T1 and T2 island mats being available, players have a tendency to vastly outgear the first several fights of each T1 and T2. And for guardian raids, this pretty much means you can't die even if you eat a ton of mechanics because your HP/defenses are just so high, with Tytalos being a notable exception that players who don't understand the mechanic just get frustrated on.

I know at least for me, the second I got into T2 I was able to instantly get to ilvl 940 and just kinda curbstomped the first three T2 Guardians through matchmaking and the first two Abyssal Dungeons were a cakewalk as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Fox specifically has a mechanic that requires specific class comps to do it efficiently which is kind of a bummer with random matchmaking. Collecting the orbs or standing in the ring to get the buff I see people do (even if like 3 people stand in the ring and take unnecessary damage) but I've never seen a person stand in the fire breath let alone have a shielder pay attention to shield for the fire breath specifically.

Although, I did read that some of these fights have like 50% more HP compared to the KR version due to beta tester feedback or something.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

admanb posted:

They have the same HP as KR version did originally, but was nerfed down over time.

I'm guessing those nerfs had more to do with people being frustrated by how long alt/re-kills took than difficulty.

That makes sense actually. When they were current content, there probably wasn't as much time to farm them on multiple alts right away. But as time went on and they became lower level alt-gear stuff, running them is more of a chore than a challenge and lower HP helps with that. And since western release is getting this right away, we're skipping the "current" content part of that content.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 1, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, one of the nice things about Lost Ark is that you don't have to do hard content to progress. It just helps you progress faster. From what I understand, even the hardest content in the game in the KR version is tiered such that even just clearing the easiest floors of the final abyssal dungeon still gets you progression mats at an equal distribution rate of the later floors to boot.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Speaking of goons, is there anyone else on Rohendal (NA West)? I rolled on there before reading what servers people were playing and have pretty much been pugging everything myself.

I created my own guild to get rid of the quest indicator and then realized that if I'm the sole member I can just give myself 100% of the bloodstones every week and no one will care, but if you're on Rohendal I promise I'll share lol.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You'll need 17,320 Gienah's Coins to buy the most valuable collectibles from that currency.

Two Giant's Hearts, two emotes, and a song.

The Giant's Hearts are at Blackfang and Freedom Isle, the two emotes are also at Freedom Isle, and the song is at Starlight Isle after finishing the quest.

Additionally, there's a bunch of maps and masterpieces that can be purchased but those are much lower priority IMO.

https://lostarkcodex.com/us/item/58000146/

Got to the Used to Buy tab and sort by most expensive to calculate how much you'll need for what you want.

If you just need coins, convert the chests into Sun Coins instead of Gienah Coins because those trade for 20 instead of 10. Either way, I believe you'll need to farm a ton of coins eventually once the chests run dry.

A good place currently to dump pirate coins weekly is on Atlas Island. There's a merchant that randomly spawns that sells 3x blue class engraving chests for 2000 coins weekly which if you pick a popular class's popular build can sell for a lot of gold. Paladin, sorceress, bard, and berserker class engraving tomes tend to go for a lot on the marketboard.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I believe stagger is completely independent of the damage you do. All that matters is pressing the right skills.

A lot of players are just following guides blindly without realizing that a lot of them are generic all-rounder guides. The reason you have so many potential skill sets is to be able to conveniently swap between hotbar setups so that you can swap in additional stagger abilities if the fight calls for it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Dynamite Dog posted:

Or play scrapper

That's exactly what I play and its great. I don't need to swap anything out for stagger checks cause my basic rotation already has a ton of high stagger. I rolled a bard alt and realized that having mid-high stagger or even low stagger on nearly every attack is class by class thing.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For engravings, many guides also talk about what is used by endgame players and assume you can get level 3 (15 nodes) for the engraving. This is really important as some of the most commonly used ones carry significant downsides that aren't buoyed by their benefits until you hit level 3 for them.

A really common one is Grudge. At level 3, you deal and take 20% more damage to/from bosses. But at level 1, it's only a 4% increase in damage dealt but still has the same 20% damage taken penalty.

Contrast to something a lot simpler like Master of Ambush which is 5% to 25% extra damage on back attacks with no extra penalty.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Engravings are account wide. Both the generic ones and the class ones.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've started to run out of potions and wanted to give this tip to anyone gathering for themselves to craft them. The level 10 flowers (exquisite x) do on average give substantially more flowers per energy than the basic ones, so if you're doing Lullaby Island for all three focus only on the high tier ones.

I'm going to spend some time today searching for a farming location that has a majority level 10 since the T2 main continents seem to have majority level 20 instead.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I don't see potion chests from Mari or her history, do they appear very rarely?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Got it, thanks. Looks like I'll be selling all the mats I gather from now on.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I don't want to turn this game into a spreadsheet simulator, but I did find this tool to help calculate whether to buy things off the market or through Mari's shop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hK36txbZBqMDfL5BTrCOKdLW6iWSGRTJeauYvgIWnOI/edit#gid=1430910144

Make a copy and save that copy and enter in the prices for your server. I might take some time to figure out how to add in the relative costs for potion crafting as well although it'd be a while.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Disappointed that green HP pots still aren't marketable but the T1/T2 changes are great for alt grinding.

There needs to be a change on the reset vote position since having it pop up in the middle of the screen interrupts combat pretty significantly and there's often that 1 person who just wants to give up every time something small goes wrong.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I added some additional rows to the spreadsheet for potions compared to Mari's shop on my own copy. On Rohendal, this ends up being about 150% more efficient for green, 200% more efficient for blue, and about 165% more efficient for purple at current market prices for flowers and gold->crystal exchange. 150% more efficient means 2.5x the green potions for the gold as opposed to crafting them myself so definitely looks like I'll be doing that.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Akumos posted:

FYI gold has been inflating and will only continue to inflate at kinda insane rates so those that have been selling all their mats non-stop without re-investing the gold or buying crystals when they were cheaper may at the end of the day be sitting on a stockpile that just dwindles to worthlessness. Use your gold now to re-invest or get crystals, don't just hoard it.

I've been converting all my gold except for around 1000 on me to keep for various expenditures at the end of every day and also put up a single well below market rate crystal exchange just in case the prices plummet while I'm sleeping. I've only got around 2.4k purple crystals so far but hopefully that should be good for a while.

I do plan on spending these primarily on cosmetics though, I'm fine with taking it slow in progression.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You have to kill Tytalos to unlock the next level of guardian raids. Those people are locked out of t2 guardian raids and need a carry to get into it.

What's the best way to stack legendary rapport items to gift bomb a rapport to skip virtue requirements? Just buy a ton of chests and hope to get lucky?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Was anyone else unable to do double adventure island today? I thought weekends were supposed to allow for 2x of those islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
In terms of the amounts of materials that Guardian Raids give, it's really not that much for honing purposes directly. Guardian raid drops are unbound which means you can sell them on the marketboard to get what you actually need and the T1 drops aren't actually worth that much.