Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 209 6/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I screwed up on guesses 4 and 5, so I might have gotten it sooner.

My starting word is usually AEONS which gives me a pretty good foundation to work from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I was going to say, I'm not playing for cash so the OPTIMAL STRATEGY isn't really that interesting to me

Okay then. I will play the worst starting word tomorrow. :v:

The worst I can come up with is QUILL for the Q, double letter, and unpopular vowels, but maybe posters in this thread can come up with a worse one. I thought of CRYPT but that has a lot of good consonants in it; P and C might not be common but they pair well which gives them more strength in a five letter word.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

196 in the archive pissed me off lol. I didn't believe it was a word until I googled it

Wordle 196 5/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Someone never watched Classic Concentration.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Wordle 2 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Le go!!!!

Wordle 2 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

That was bad, but Number 3 was even worse. It's not even a drat word! Looks like he had to get a lot of bullshit out of his system before this thing went viral.

Wordle 3 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeah. That one actually was absurd. The only way I got it was going for total letter elimination; after guess three I was "none of my options make sense, better start killing characters".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 210 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

If I hadn't actually used QUILL as a starter, I would have gotten this one faster. This is probably the easiest daily word I've encountered in the whole two weeks I've been playing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 211 4/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Getting three or four letters while you have a wide open set of options can be the worst. You might have to just break out and try completely different words just to eliminate letters depending on how bad it is.

That's the real challenge of hard mode: you don't eliminate enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"Hmmm... two possible words with these letter placements. Well, I'll guess the more common word first."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First time playing, did I do good?

4 seems to be about what people who are decent at word games do unless the word is crazy or you put restrictions on yourself. So it's just fine.

Wordle 17 5/6

🟩⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nexous posted:

Wordle 212 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

got screwed

Wordle 213 X/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜

You didn't get screwed. I got screwed.

What a bad day to hard mode myself.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 214 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I will find all the letters this time!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you get it in under 3 its 100% luck

Even three requires a bit of luck, though not crazy luck. Four seems to be the magic point where you can almost always get enough information from the first three guesses to get the word.

None of that applies to hard mode where you're severely restricting the information you can gain from each guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 215 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟨🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good word this time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 216 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Blowing out 75% of the letters before you hit on a close word helps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 217 4/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I am definitely launching some kind of rocket with my wordle picture.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 218 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Gaze upon my works ye mighty and despair.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 219 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I thought I was really clever with guess 4 because it took me forever to come up with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 220 6/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Really should have gotten this one quicker.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sure, now Twitter starts issuing bans for being a shithead that makes the community worse despite not breaking any rules.

Wordle 221 6/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

For some reason, I thought I had eliminated a letter that I hadn't, and I would have gotten this a lot sooner if I hadn't been a dumbass.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

Wordle 222 2/6

⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:getin:

Wordle 222 2/6*

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:smug:

Starting with a word that gives you the key letters helps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 223 5/6*

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Hardawn posted:

Wordle 223 3/6

⬛🟨⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

It's funny how we talk ourselves in and out of word choices depending on the statistical likelihood of using certain letters.

Letter distribution doesn't matter on an individual word level. Any word from the list is as likely as any other to be the word of the day. Where it matters is narrowing down that field, and once you have a few letters the standard distribution is out the window anyway as consonant combinations become more important to eliminate.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

here's the breakdown of results

1 = silly
2,3 = lucky
4,5 = fair enough
6 = you're dumb
fail = you're real dumb

1 - you cheated
2 - you got crazy lucky, but the right starting word might have made it a 1 in 10 shot instead of 1 in a thousand
3 - a bit lucky, but playing extremely strategically means it'll happen regularly
4 - you should have enough information by now to get the word unless something weird is going on
5 - you tripped somewhere or guess 3 narrowed it down to 2 or 3 words and you guessed wrong.
6 - you should only get to this point if the word is really sneaky ("SASSY? Why would they put a triple letter in?!") or you're playing on hard and an early guess locked in a lot of letters leaving too many possibilities.
Miss - just take this knife and cut your own throat

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 224 4/6*

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I saw the results of my first guess and got nervous since it locked me in pretty hard with way too many options. Got a bit lucky with the subsequent guesses, at least.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cubone posted:

Wordle 224 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

threes don' make me feel smart, they make me feel lucky
I think fours make me feel smartest
five or six usually means I was kinda like "gently caress it" and threw in a word or two just to give me more information to go by, OR the word was bullshit

Wordle 225 3/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I had a bit of luck for this three, but really I had eliminated most of the possible consonant combinations and positions that could be used with the our of place letters. I was more lucky that I didn't stumble into locking a letter in that left me with too many options. Getting it in 3 does take some luck, but it's luck you can make.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mysterious Jim posted:

Wordle 226 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

They had me in the first half, I'm not gonna lie

Guesses where you get nothing are extremely useful since 20% of the possible letters just go away. It can narrow things down fast.

Wordle 226 4/6*

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'm finding guessing the vowels to be the least helpful aspect of the starting word. You have to work your way through them regardless, there's a lot more consonant pairings you need to eliminate, and on hard mode getting letters early means you have a more difficult time narrowing things down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good on wordle man for cashing out when this will fall apart as soon as they try to monetize. And the New York Times is amazingly stupid for paying that much when it's so easily copied. We could have our own internal SA wordle added to the forums in an afternoon...

Wordle 227 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Daily Dordle #0008 5&X/7
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨 ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟨 ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ ⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

Huh. It was trickier, and I don't just mean that because I couldn't get any letters on the right (all of the green and yellows are the same letters there). I was trying to do this hard mode style with all known letters being used, but I think you really do need to use guesses to eliminate letters o this one...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

I did hard mode rules but switched sides as it narrowed down. You can't possibly use all hints since both words are different and you have 2 different hint pools.

You can use all the hints because guesses to narrow down one side means you're using letters where you already know the state of them on the other, which is what happened to me. I only eliminated 16 letters on the right hand side before I ran out of potential guesses since I had to keep using letters that I knew weren't in that word. I was suspicious of doubled letters by the time I got to my last few guesses on the right so I could have picked up two more, but that's still a pretty open field.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 228 3/6*

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Behold! The wordle pyramid!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 229 4/6*

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'm guessing a lot of people wind up at my third guess before getting it today.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 230 4/6*

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I get why people ate having trouble with this one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CRYPT, PLUMB, and EXACT are all great starting words.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doug Sisk posted:

Wordle 231 4/6

⬜⬜🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟦⬜🟧
🟦🟧🟧🟦🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

There was no way to get it wrong after the third guess!

Wordle 231 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟨🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle buddies!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 232 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Now that was a lucky 3.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sono posted:

nerdlegame 19 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩🟪🟪
🟪🟩🟩🟪🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

Not sure if I'm upset about this or not.

nerdlegame 19 2/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩🟪🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://nerdlegame.com #nerdle

Do we have a math smug smily?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 233 5/6*

⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeah, that was a mean one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 234 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"Good" starting words can be a deadly trap in hard mode...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 235 4/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟨🟨⬛🟩
🟨⬛🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I should have gotten it in three but I screwed up that guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wordle 236 4/6*

🟩⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

After my first guess, I thought I had this one is 2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Release the hostages or we will announce the answer to tomorrow's wordle!"