Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I am so bad at redactle and it takes me so long to play. “I bet that particular word is X” so I guess it and it is X but that’s the only occurrence. Not really super helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why is my current Redactle still the one you guys were discussing yesterday?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I solved today's Redactle by googling kings of England after revealing conqueror
I got “king” and “England” and somehow couldn’t get the first name. Also was convinced it was something like “Edward the Second”.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For yesterdays redactle, my problem was that I didn’t even really know the chemistry term they were looking for. So I just kept filling in more and more words without making any progress.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 348 3/6*

🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Thought this was a pretty unusual win today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

does everyone in this thread have a go-to starting word or do some of us live life on the edge?

I try to use a new random word every day, that at least includes S + T + a vowel. Today I did BURST which wasn’t very good but it keeps it interesting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone tried to create some kind of difficulty score for Wordle words? Like look at the average steps to solve every word and come up with some general rules. Maybe too specific to the actual words… but it seems like double letters for instance are generally harder to get. And words that start with vowels. QU words would also probably trip people up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprising number of twos today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 364 6/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yikes that was a close one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently WACKO isn’t a possible answer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kaom posted:

??? This was my guess on line 4.

Oops, meant it wasn’t a possible solution according to Wordle Bot, I also used it as an answer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kaom posted:

Oh interesting, here I’d been thinking the whole time that if a word was accepted it could also be a possible answer!

I think the idea is that they wanted to make it okay to guess any valid word but didn’t want the answer to be too obscure for someone to know it was even a word.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

:yossame:

I feel like Redactle should have hand-pruned topics the way Wordle does with its wordlist.
Yes, using a random selection from the “most important 4000” articles (or something) doesn’t necessarily mean the stuff is fun. Like a decent good chunk of the list was units.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 367 5/6*

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟨⬛🟨🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was getting a bit rough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vulin posted:

Wordle 369 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 369 4/6*

⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

wa27 posted:

Wordle 370 6/6

⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I stared at this one forever. I thought for sure I'd get it in two because it took me like 10 minutes to think of the second guess. Apparently EVITE and SHITE are valid words.

Huh, I guess it was a real word that has been ruined.

quote:

Definition of evite
archaic
: SHUN, AVOID
I have evited striking you … under muckle provocation
— Sir Walter Scott

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Infomaniac posted:

Wordle 373 5/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟩
⬛⬛⬛🟩🟩
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Fancy!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 375 6/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not surprised people are having trouble.

G, W, K, Y are all in the bottom half of letter frequency. So, very easy to get to your third guess with just the A. And then the word is on the edge of commonly known, so it’s not clearly a better guess than BALKY or MAWKY.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 377 2/6*

🟩⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I wouldn’t have been able to define this word for you, other than it’s one common adjective use.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 382 4/6*

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Getting the beginning of the word first is tricky.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 383 5/6*

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was a pretty rough one, my fourth guess was a “maybe this is a word” and still barely helped.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not convinced how good vowel heavy first guesses like AUDIO are. Seems like a lot of possible answers only have one vowel so you often end up with just one yellow after the first guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 387 4/6*

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Rough, couldn’t even figure out anything to guess for 15 minutes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

glad I guessed N because I wasn’t getting it otherwise

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 390 X/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛🟨🟨🟩⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩

wow there are a lot of words with that particular pattern

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting pattern today

Wordle 391 6/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨🟨🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

for some reason I didn’t guess E in the first three tries

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 398 6/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

middle column was five vowel guesses in a row

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dot communist posted:

Wordle 414 5/6

🟩⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ffs wordle :gonk:

I feel your pain

Wordle 414 6/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟨⬛🟨🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They should have a Wordle game where they give you the pattern of guesses and the last word and you have to fill in the rest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good luck today.

Wordle 426 2/6*

🟩⬛🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like when I come up with the one possible word and then it’s wrong.

Wordle 427 4/6*

⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Today’s idle thought: if you are playing in hard mode, is it easier to get the word if it only uses uncommon letters? Like if you guess LEAST and you get zero matches, you eliminated a lot of words. But if you had one yellow match instead like a T, maybe you would eliminate less?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of surprised that Wordle met the bar for well-known words.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 450 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

One of those where you have eliminated 15 letters and it’s hard to even think of a guess

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, NYT average for today is 6.4 which means a lot of people lost (I assume that is scored as a 7)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You think really hard before making any guesses.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 471 X/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛

I got the dreaded ST___ on hard mode and I don’t know if that is generally solvable. Goodby streak.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 480 5/6*

🟨⬛🟩🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Well that turned from lucky to unlucky fast.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 483 2/6*

🟩⬛⬛🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky on a hard word day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wordle 498 5/6*

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛