Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I have a job that has me traveling to Ticonderoga regularly and I always feel like I should make a weekend trip out of it and do something there but I kind of just look at the pretty mountains and drive home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Try looking for a family of cannibalistic hillbillies and get yourself eaten

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Yaldabaoth posted:

Try looking for a family of cannibalistic hillbillies and get yourself eaten

thanks, really helpful.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i would suggest getting some books and a pair of binoculars :)

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
*In Jim Cummings voice*

I don't like-a the mountains.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
rock climbing is pretty fun. Failing that, it is a beautiful place.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

never been but it looks pretty i bet you could do a lot of hiking and see lots of trees and maybe not have to see many people (a blessing).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

rock climbing is pretty fun. Failing that, it is a beautiful place.

Actually if you fail at rock climbing you might not have to worry about it, depending

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

Actually if you fail at rock climbing you might not have to worry about it, depending

he just slipped!!!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

he just slipped!!!

its cool. got someone to belay him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you could spend some time coming up with amusing anagrams of "adirondacks", op

A DICK ADORNS

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zeniel posted:

*In Jim Cummings voice*

I don't like-a the mountains.

His performances hit differently after reading about his divorce and how he broke into where his ex-wife was staying and slipped his meat into her hand while she slept.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

His performances hit differently after reading about his divorce and how he broke into where his ex-wife was staying and slipped his meat into her hand while she slept.

on purpose?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I hear good things about their chairs. Perhaps you can find someone willing to barter for them?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I hear good things about their chairs. Perhaps you can find someone willing to barter for them?

epic 2012 is the resident chair afficianado so maybe reach out to him

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Dix Mountain is quite close. I think you should go climb Mt Dix!

and if can keep it up after taking the long hard Dix, you could go on to the Nippletop

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Smugworth posted:

epic 2012 is the resident chair afficianado so maybe reach out to him

it’s too bad he doesn’t post more because we could really use his input here

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ellasmith posted:

I have a job that has me traveling to Ticonderoga regularly and I always feel like I should make a weekend trip out of it and do something there but I kind of just look at the pretty mountains and drive home.

I'm from that town. I went to high school there.

Leave.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 16, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Also, how long have you been in the paper mill business

But serious answer, go to Lake Placid. It's a nice place that has a couple of good bars that are open for the winter.

Essex county is one of the most backwoods rednecked inbred and hosed up places in all of New York state. But we hosted the Olympics twice. :smuggo:

edit:

Literally the safest way to travel to get anywhere from that godforsaken chudsnest during January is by boat to Burlington or somewhere else where they have drinkable water. You could go through 9N to see what a closed tourist town looks like in Lake George but you'll have to go through mountains to get there. Or you can lose your mind and go through 74 up to Chilson to get to the goddamned Northway. The first post mentioned inbred cannibalistic families, so if that's your bag that area is full of extras from the Hills have Eyes.

Go to Vermont. It's nicer and the gas is cheaper but they don't plow the roads. It is a spectacularly lovely place to be in the winter.

Oh and I wasn't being cute about the water, that loving town doesn't even have palatable water nowadays. Don't drink it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 16, 2022

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
you could get lost and die so that your legacy will be a mysterious set of clothes found by hunters which might someday be included as an anecdote in a non-fiction book about dumbasses

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
you could also get really loving blazed and have your genitals sucked by a toothless meth head who looks twenty years older than they actually are

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Everything I need to know about upstate New York I learned from the ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Buttfucking

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Buttfucking

can't argue with that

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Wait that's a place and not a type of chair? Jesus I gotta get out of my one horse town.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

chainchompz posted:

Wait that's a place and not a type of chair? Jesus I gotta get out of my one horse town.

I think is somewhere in New York

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

go up mt defiance

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The Adirondacks are both a place and a chair, just as Morris was both a guy and a chair.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think is somewhere in New York

barely

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

technically correct

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've been going there since I was a kid. The mountains are beautiful and there's a lot of really nice hikes there. You wouldn't wanna think about hiking there in the fall or winter though unless you wanna freeze your balls off.

Lake Placid has some nice restaurants and shops and stuff if you're into that too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

I've been going there since I was a kid. The mountains are beautiful and there's a lot of really nice hikes there. You wouldn't wanna think about hiking there in the fall or winter though unless you wanna freeze your balls off.

Lake Placid has some nice restaurants and shops and stuff if you're into that too.

also a giant crocodile

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I used to got to Lake George every summer, here are a couple "big" things I enjoyed. YMMV in winter.

Adirondack Museum (closed in 2021, idk about 2022), easily one of my favorite museums. I'm an especially big fan of the lumberjack exhibit. https://www.theadkx.org/

Lake Placid--if you go in the summer, you can pay to ride a bobsled on wheels piloted by Olympic hopefuls. It's pricey but incredibly cool. I also got to shoot a biathlete's rifle for like $5. Also has a nice museum and some gondolas and stuff. Probably actually worth a winter visit. https://lakeplacidlegacysites.com/

Fort Ticonderoga itself is worth a visit. Living history and lots of artifacts. The day I went they were having an "eat out of our garden" and I got to eat an apple from a tree that was over a hundred years old. https://www.fortticonderoga.org/experience/museum-exhibitions/

Lake George Village is the tackiest tourist trap imaginable, but you can also ride a steamship around the lake. https://lakegeorgesteamboat.com/

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: it takes an hour to get to a movie theater in every direction in that town

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You should join us in the Upstate NY thread in LAN, OP! I'm not a big hiker myself but I bet someone else could help you! :shobon:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: while driving through main street you'll see a concrete structure near the park. this is not the fort. this is a sewage plant. people call it fort poo poo.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: they loving closed the wagon wheel restaurant and the hot biscuit is seasonal so the best place to get breakfast is the stewarts gas station. second place is burleigh's.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my pencils used to say ticonderoga wrre my pencils made there??

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

my pencils used to say ticonderoga wrre my pencils made there??

fun ticonderoga fact: there is a paper mill outside of town that makes paper. those pencils are made in the south are are built entirely on a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

fun ticonderoga fact: there is a paper mill outside of town that makes paper. those pencils are made in the south are are built entirely on a lie

thank you for telling me the truth i will be chewing up every ticonderoga pencil i see now and saying drat YOU LiARS