Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Had my XR+ for about a year and half now and while I couldn't ride much over the winter I have been commuting on it for the spring and summer. Only recently has it been too drat cold and slippery to risk breaking my 48 y/o rear end. I gotta say my fav time to ride is very early morning before pedestrians and traffic ramps up. Get the tunes going and surf the roads and parks for 20 mins each way. I am amazed at how much weight a Onewheel can handle. I'm a full goon over 6 foot and 260lbs plus gear plus my work bag and then I have picked up a bag or two of shopping and it still gets me up the hill to my place.

Biggest tips I have learned thus far:

Bare minimum is helmet and long style elbow pads. The kind that go from forearm to bicep. I do not ride anymore without at least those. Wrap around glasses are also nice, keep the wind tears down.

Try different foot positions. For me having my lead foot with heel hanging off the edge and the rear foot toe off the edge so my body is going across the board at a bit of an angle has changed everything. No more foot fatigue, tighter turning, better control overall. Probably wouldn't work for everyone and it took a lot of experimenting to figure it out but I suggest everyone try changing it up, see what works.

Lastly, and maybe this is because of my size (?), I scrapped the recommended tire pressure. Read an article from a reviewer who recommended trying ~8-10% of your body weight for street riding. I went up to ~22psi and its made a world of difference. I mostly ride on the street and I would definitely lower it for trails but for my daily commute I can tell the board is not needing to work nearly as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Warbird posted:

God you’re all making me want to go rent one again.

DO EEEET!

Anyone tried that latest Onewheel model? Its looks really plastic-y and cheap too me. Reviews seem kinda mixed saying the XR+ is still the frequent rider board of choice. I should hit up my local e-ride shop and see if they'll let me try one.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Just checkin' in. Weather here is still too cold early morning for the commute but I think I will be able to get some practice in soon to shake off the winter rust. Just charged up to board to full and have to check tire pressure then we're good to go! Been too long!

Doing a trip to Vancouver Island mid April so may cruise around Victoria. Haven't really tried being a Onewheel tourist before.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
I have a quite large (for SLA) 3d printer. If anyone finds/generates a file they wanna try let me know and I'll check it out. If it works I can work on printing some up for goons who can pay shipping and a bit of resin. I don't have DMs but I check this thread fairly often.

IHear you on the foot fatigue. Thats always the first issue I have when I have been off the board for awhile. I found riding with my lead foot having the heel off the side of the board and my rear foot having a bit of toe off the side so my body was a bit angled across the board really helped. Also, really good skate shoes are amazing. Vans cush series are great and I'm a 6'1" 260lb full goon.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Finally got the board out for a 90 minute burn around town. See if I still go the goods. Couple stumbles but felt great, no foot fatigue or old man soreness. Now if the weather in the early morning would just warm up like a couple degrees I can start commuting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Finally! Rode Juan Whël to work! Weather has finally smartened up and I got my cool early morning run in. Truly the best way to start and end my day.