Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bless this site, there's a thread for everything.

I've long been vaguely interested in getting a longboard for cruising around but never got around to it because of laziness/breaking my old man bones/people would probably laugh at me/the wife would say no/out of shape. More recently I've seen the Onewheel models around from time to time and have mused about getting one but never really considered it. Today the Mrs. mentioned wanting one after seeing some college kid scoot by on some model and I thought it might make a nice Mother's Day surprise for me her first time getting to benefit from the holiday. Looking around this seems like "a whole thing" and I'm mulling over the best way to start messing around with one of these things and hopefully not killing myself/the wife/the baby in the process.

Can I get away with a used model? I know that the OW company are apparently assholes in the "right to repair" debate and while that is a bummer I don't put much faith in the AliExpress pool to be decent and not explode.

How are these on non-paved surfaces? The primary use case I'd see for use it just around the subdivision but I do know the local college has a cross country trail that could be fun. I'm not really interested in going fast or tricks or whatever. I used to really just enjoy biking around and the experience of rolling/light carving before I got horribly out of shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Mrs. shot down the idea for now, but seemed open to it down the road a bit. Ideally renting one would be a good avenue to try it out as I agree with her sentiment that it's a lot of money to get a thing sight unseen. I know someone in our neighborhood has at least a couple and I'm asking around in some other places to see if I can get some time on someone else's.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m some exciting news Rent Eboards has apparently set up a shop down in the city so I can get a crack at one of these one wheel deals. $20 bucks for an hour seems reasonable to see if I even like it when the alternative is about a grand. What I want to know is if I can sort it out myself if I have no skateboard experience or if I should opt for the $50 “how to not die” class they apparently have.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, I went and rented a Pint XR or whatever the other day and had a good time with it. Spent about a half hour sorting things out on a soccer field before taking it on a greenway to putter around. Took about an hour or so after that but I was able to get around pretty well. Only had one actual fall but that was on me being overconfident and not paying attention to a bump I had missed. Wrist guards thankfully came with the rental so it wasn’t a big deal.

The ride was fun, but I’m not sure I’d buy one of these in my specific case. If I had somewhere to ride easily that wasn’t a suburban neighborhood or someone to ride with on the reg that would likely not be the case. Maybe when the baby gets a bit older.

Edit: I wasn’t expecting these things to be so drat heavy, good grief.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Trouble a brewin’: https://www.engadget.com/amp/cpsc-onewheel-safety-warning-213555397.html

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God you’re all making me want to go rent one again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bud you want to lend be $70 and watch the kid and I’d be happy to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bone Crimes posted:

So, time for a OneWheel update of sorts. Two main things have been going on in OneWheel land, first the government in the shape of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) saying

The OneWheel community reacted negatively to the CPSC, and staged a letter-writing campaign. It’s unclear to me what exactly the power of the CPSC to force a recall though, so I’m not sure what the impact here will be. Overall OneWheels have a lower death/accident rate than other motorized/mobile sports, so I’m not sure exactly where this will go. I wonder if this has been bad for OneWheel sales or good.

link

The other thing going on is that development of alternative OneWheels, boards that are essentially identical to OneWheels, but are not from Future Motion, have become more of a real thing. It’s still mostly in a DIY mode, where you can buy all the parts, but the real blocker was in the control boards and firmware. Recent developments with the VESC control boards have made real, high-performance non-Future Motion boards a reality. They are still a lot of work to build, and exist in a bit of a legal grey area, but riders that don’t want to be limited to what Future Motion provides, now have an outlet.

Frankly it wouldn’t be the worst thing to need people to have some sort of qualifier to operate one as you can do a lot more damage with one of these to yourself and others than a regular skateboard or bike, but I don’t think we’re there yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do see some sort of regulation around electric personal transport in the future though.

Also good on the alternatives. Hopefully it’ll drive prices down and force whatsftheirfaces to stop being dinguses on self repairing your own stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I agree with you there. I don’t see a reasonable path forward to keep things under control, especially if that gets delegated to the state level. Heck, drones have the same problem and they’re barely kept in check and that’s with the FAA getting roped in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Armored flannel seems hot. Do they make armored linen button downs in festive colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoopsiedoodle