Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I think I’m gonna do it. I’m going to live the dream. Be the best me.

Does vacuum sealing pieces and storing in the fridge solve most of the storage problems, or does it still go hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I did some maths and I think a wheel has like 160,000 calories worth of cheese in and like half a kg of salt. Maybe save the idea for a big wedding or something?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Does vacuum sealing pieces and storing in the fridge solve most of the storage problems, or does it still go hard?

It will still go hard. The issue is that the water in the cheese crystallizes and freezes, and when you thaw it it all runs our and dries the cheese out. And the main storage problem us going to be space; after you spend literal hours breaking the wheel down (it takes professionals a hour or more to break down and portion a wheel, and thats with proper tools), you will be left sitting on 80 pounds of cheese cut into chunks.

You really should probably not do this. But if you do, pics!

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 15, 2022

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

I did some maths and I think a wheel has like 160,000 calories worth of cheese in and like half a kg of salt. Maybe save the idea for a big wedding or something?

Over the course of a year that is a mere 435 calories per day. And that’s before I give a bunch away!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It will still go hard. The issue is that the water in the cheese crystallizes and freezes, and when you thaw it it all runs our and dries the cheese out.

This seems like the biggest hitch. I’m completely here for the absurd scale of it all, but I don’t want to waste a bunch of cheese.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

This seems like the biggest hitch. I’m completely here for the absurd scale of it all, but I don’t want to waste a bunch of cheese.

You are 100% going to waste dozens of pounds of cheese.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Wasting a bunch of cheese" is what almost every failure mode I can think of amounts to

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sounds like a chest freezer would be useful if you forego this action.

Don't forget to post in the PUF Recent Purchases thread if you get the big block o' parm.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

You are 100% going to waste dozens of pounds of cheese.

Why not send each person in this thread some instead? I'll wait by my mailbox.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a chest freezer, though it’s usually pretty full of fish. I think I could totally fit 3/8 a wheel of cheese in there. My vacuum sealer is really good, too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Did you read my post or?

Do the test run with 3 lbs now. Just for yourself, not to give away, and see how long it takes and how good the last of it is. What's the worst that could happen, you eat 83 pounds of cheese this year instead of 80?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I have a chest freezer, though it’s usually pretty full of fish. I think I could totally fit 3/8 a wheel of cheese in there. My vacuum sealer is really good, too.

Listen, you're clearly going to ignore all of the advice you've been given, and all the advice you've read online, and buy the cheese wheel. You're just talking yourself into it with these posts and trying to get validation for something you've already decided on doing. So just do it and post the pics of you being in over your head and regretting it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

You're just talking yourself into it with these posts and trying to get validation

You are correct.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah spend the g, coward.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.costco.com/whole-wheel-parmigiano-reggiano%2C-72-lbs.-.product.100096211.html

uh oh

I thought they sold out and I had like half a year to hem and haw over this

might have to make a regrettable choice here

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Do it!

Do it naough!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kenning posted:

Yeah spend the g, coward.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kazak_Hstan posted:

https://www.costco.com/whole-wheel-parmigiano-reggiano%2C-72-lbs.-.product.100096211.html

uh oh

I thought they sold out and I had like half a year to hem and haw over this

might have to make a regrettable choice here

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ohh, cheese thread.

I have always been ambivalent about bleu cheeses. The stuff you usually find in a salad or wing dip in the US is just just not great. However, on a lark I bought a small wedge of imported Stilton and I have to say it's blown my mind.

Nutty, buttery and an intense earthy flavor I can only describe as black truffle. Yes, it smells of barnyard as the oenophiles would say but that is some good poo poo.

Clawson reserve blue Stilton.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Murgos posted:

Ohh, cheese thread.

I have always been ambivalent about bleu cheeses. The stuff you usually find in a salad or wing dip in the US is just just not great. However, on a lark I bought a small wedge of imported Stilton and I have to say it's blown my mind.

Nutty, buttery and an intense earthy flavor I can only describe as black truffle. Yes, it smells of barnyard as the oenophiles would say but that is some good poo poo.

Clawson reserve blue Stilton.

I think blue has the lowest floor and highest ceiling when it comes to quality

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Oh, is Madonna adopting another baby?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I think blue has the lowest floor and highest ceiling when it comes to quality

Off the success of the last venture I bought a fancyish boutique American blue out of the mega mart cheese case and I am disappointed.

None of that complexity at all, just the in your face sort of creamy, extremely salty and slightly bitter notes I generally disliked before I had that Stilton. It’s fine on a cracker, would probably even be good on a burger but nothing I would recommend eating out of hand.

Maybe next time I’m in a good cheese place I’ll get an imported Roquefort and see how that goes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Murgos posted:

Off the success of the last venture I bought a fancyish boutique American blue out of the mega mart cheese case and I am disappointed.

None of that complexity at all, just the in your face sort of creamy, extremely salty and slightly bitter notes I generally disliked before I had that Stilton. It’s fine on a cracker, would probably even be good on a burger but nothing I would recommend eating out of hand.

Maybe next time I’m in a good cheese place I’ll get an imported Roquefort and see how that goes.

Bayley Hazen is a really good American blue

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bayley Hazen is a really good American blue

Oh wow, that name just unlocked a memory I had forgotten about and yeah, if it's the same thing I'm remembering then it's delicious

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just reading about the origins of fondue and I remembered the wedge of Grueyere I had in our fridge that I forgot about for a while. It aged and gained delicious cheese crystals and now I want to try doing that on purpose this time. It was SO GOOD.

It's also starting to be too warm for fondue, that doesn't mean I still don't want some.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Neat a cheese thread! I'd like to share our recent cheese experience in Italy and hopefully soon my first attempt to make mozzarella at home.

Last month we returned from a trip to the Amalfi coast where we did a mozzarella-making (technically fior di latte as it was cow's milk) workshop and I was really impressed by how simple the process was and how delicious the fresh mozzarella was. Just got my hands on some rennet, and going to find a local farm this week to get some raw milk (luckily for the time being I live in a place where you can legally and easily buy raw milk). I've read that you can also get good results from milk pasteurised at lower temperatures as well, so will also be attempting it with that as we will soon be relocating back to the US where raw milk is a much harder thing to come by.

The workshop was an awesome experience, It was put on by the nicest husband and wife team who run a small winery called La Vigna Degli Dei along with a B&B and cheese and pasta making classes. My partner and I were lucky enough to visit them during the off-season and have our own private afternoon with them. In addition to making the mozzarella with us, they shared with us their homemade wines and charcuterie which made for an amazing day of good food and drink.

We started by heating a large pot of milk that he had taken from the cow just an hour or two earlier and adding in a small amount of rennet. As the curds formed we left it over lower heat for a few minutes and then removed from the heat entirely to rest. After a few more minutes using a whisk we cut the curds into rough cubes in the pot, and moved them to a plastic strainer. At this point we set the strained curds aside to rest overnight and he pulled out the curds from the previous day for us to continue making the mozzarella. He explained to us that you'll know the curds have aged long enough if a cut off piece becomes stretchy quickly after adding to hot water, and that resting it for a day improves the final flavour of the cheese.

The strained curds before resting overnight

We then cut the large mass of curds into strips and placed them in a large pot and topped with salted hot whey. After a few minutes of stirring and pressing it became a smooth ball which we then could stretch and tie off before pinching off a ball of mozzarella.

The sliced curds before drowning in whey

The stirring and stretching process

A smooth ball just before shaping and cutting

Afterwards, following a tour of their wine and meat cellar we were served a beautiful lunch of marinated vegetables, homemade salami and cured pork belly, topped with our delicious freshly-made mozzarella. As we ate they made ricotta from some of the whey and served it to us with fresh chestnut honey from their farm. I cannot reccomend the experience enough and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. Very excited to attempt recreating the cheese at home later this week and will report back with how it goes! Unfortunately I neglected to write down any of the temperatures they gave us when making the cheese so will need to do a bit of research on that when making our own.

Jato fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 10, 2022

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Awesome post.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

drat that sounds like a good time and a delicious meal.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for sharing your cheese making experience. Raw milk is definitely tough to get in the US now.

In a weird bit of brainstorming I'm wondering what I could use whey water for. Maybe bread making, but I figured the pH balance needs to be accounted for…

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thanks for sharing your cheese making experience. Raw milk is definitely tough to get in the US now.

In a weird bit of brainstorming I'm wondering what I could use whey water for. Maybe bread making, but I figured the pH balance needs to be accounted for…

Caramel! Whey contains a poo poo load of lactose (sugar) and makes a really amazing, rich and smooth caramel.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Did that dude get the wheel yet

please update us.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
buy the wheel, encase it in lucite or wax if you're a coward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cook rice in it! Really yummy.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just watched a farmer's cheese video and the guy said whey could be used in bread without elaboration, then in the next video he, of course, made ricotta.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I had a big birthday last week, and a party on Sat, and my friends made me a cheese cake.

Yes, that's it. It was just a stack of cheeses. I was thrilled. There was also a pork pie.

The pork pie disappeared very fast, and I've still got a lot of cheese left, despite eating nothing but Reblochon for the last two lunches.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd have been really impressed if it were one of those fakeout sculpture cakes and those cheeses were actually cake.

But this is good too

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Dang, I need better friends.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Dang, I need friends.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

No friends? Why you're such a cultured individual!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

My partner spoils me. All I said was that the grocery store parmesan wasn't that good. Previously she bought a sampler that had wedges of the vacche rosse, bianche, and brune so we could compare and pick which was our favourite. But I thought that was special for Valentine's Day. I expected her to revert to another decent but less pricey cheese from the Italian specialty shop she orders from, but then this CHUNK arrived.