Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We got a block of Tillamook 10 Year cheddar that was absolutely incredible. Best cheddar I've ever had by a mile.

Oh hey a Tillamook shout out. When I moved to Oregon I went to their factory and they do make some tasty cheeses (and ice cream, too).

My recent cheese story is when I was visiting my sister & her husband over in the DC area for Christmas, and while shopping around for stuff in their local Asian grocery store to make shakshouka I came across some Syrian cheese. I figured by it's looks that it would be kinda between mozzarella & feta, and it was! It had a little more bite than feta(?) but it went well with the shakshouka (and over regular crackers too).

Scarodactyl posted:

I like cheese but acquired an allergy to it. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but has anyone tried an expensive artisinal dairy free cheeses? I have found places that produce them but none I could actually buy and it's unclear if they'd be good anyway. Grocery store vegan cheeses replicate cheap processed stuff quite well but I miss the good stuff.

I saw some recipes on some DIY vegan cheeses over in the GWS Vegan Thread. Maybe worth a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There used to be this place named Cheese Bar on SE Belmont here in Portland that had a variety of fancy cheeses.

Then COVID-19 happened & the place closed down.

:(

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I suspect the Domino's blue cheese dressing has a bit of MSG added. I'd try putting a little in your homemade versions and see if it makes it closer to their version.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heh the Syrian cheese I got was from a Lotte in Germantown, MD.

I'm assuming there are multiple Lotte's in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tribbledirigible posted:

Well, guess I'm making Buffalo wings for my birthday dinner. Thanks for this.

This thread reminded me of the 30yr old cheese that was discovered at a cheese place in Wisconsin. Are there any places that are now intentionally aging cheese to that extreme or is it too much of a crapshoot?

Tillamook has some 10-15 year-old cheeddars available commercially, and IIRC you can get even older stuff at their center in Oregon.

I need to visit the Tillamook plant again…

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What cheese do you think will go well with canned fish like sardines? Mainly ones packed in oil, not likely to have other flavors.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well looks like I know where I'm going next time I visit friends up in Washington.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Man, I wish I knew about that as I occasionally make my own mayonnaise & I need more stupid gangtags.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cross posting valuable info:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lately I've been enjoying cheese quesadillas. Fun thing was I got some scorpion pepper jelly that I use in it for that extra :supaburn: .

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sounds like a chest freezer would be useful if you forego this action.

Don't forget to post in the PUF Recent Purchases thread if you get the big block o' parm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for sharing your cheese making experience. Raw milk is definitely tough to get in the US now.

In a weird bit of brainstorming I'm wondering what I could use whey water for. Maybe bread making, but I figured the pH balance needs to be accounted for…