Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

What's the best mass produced cheddar? I would imagine they're all similar, but then someone turned me on to Kerrygold butter and it's just noticeably better butter to me

Godminster is nice imo. It's very salty though, not a bulk cheddar. Don't get the heart shaped blocks they're just annoying to cut.

I've been eating a lot of soft cheese for breakfast recently, with some toast and jams, here are my breakfast cheeses ranked:
- Taleggio. Great flavour and gets your day off to a fun start. Be careful not to touch the rind it absolutely stinks (it's good to eat though). Not something I want everyday of the week though
- St Albray. Mass produced soft cheese, which has just a bit more flavour than its competitors, winning it the second spot.
- Soft brebis/cow "mixte" cheeses. These are saltier and less creamy than the other breakfast options, but are a nice way to mix things up. Benefit from a stronger jam, cherry is the traditional option but I also enjoy fig.
- Caprice des dieux. Soft and comforting. If I'm not careful I'll eat a whole bar of this in one sitting.
- Brie. OK. Neither particularly interesting not particularly moreish. Is better with hard crunchy wafers than toast
- Camembert. I want to like it but it always tastes like broccoli to me which isn't my aim for breakfast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Stringent posted:

so i live in Tokyo, fairly close to an area known for having the largest population of French ppl in Tokyo and this cheese shop, which i suppose is one of the better ones in Tokyo.

i know little to nothing about cheeses and i'm willing to try absolutely anything. any of you cheese knowers feel like glancing at their web page and pointing out anything that looks interesting?

it's mostly in japanese, but maybe google translate has gotten better or something, iunno.

https://alpage.co.jp/www/season/

The sample plate idea is the best idea. Of the ones listed I'd definitely try out their Abondance though, it's a easy to enjoy cheese which still manages to be interesting.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Teach posted:

No-one's mentioned Vignotte yet - so soft and delicate and creamy, and so good on fresh bread.

I really want to try that now, 75% is quite something.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Waste of Breath posted:

Bring me the funk. My gut reaction would be more creamy than sharp but I'm honestly open to whatever. My experience is limited to what I've been served at restaurants and I have no clue what any of those were. I've never bought a blue cheese (mostly cause my local grocery only sells mass market blue cheese crumbles) but I want to have something nice on hand for when I want to melt something over a steak or burger or just eat with a bit of honey drizzled on it and I'm willing to make a trip to a cheesemonger for it.

I love Fourme d'Ambert, and it's not particularly hard to find compared to more artisanal cheeses. It's pretty creamy and has a good but not overwhelming taste.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 18, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are some good dry and funky cheeses like really old manchego that we can get in FL?

Manchego is a sheep's cheese, you could try the French versions from the other side of the Pyrenees. Ossau-Iraty AOP is the most well known and broadly available, but there are a lot of small producers in Bearn and the Pays Basque and the (non-AOP/PDO) cheeses are quite varied, from strong tangy sheep's milk cheeses to milder moreish "mixte" brebis/vache ones. I'm not sure why some places call it AOP, others PDO, it's a kind of a fake designation anyway which ironically is mostly applied to higher volume products.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is a story about mimolette, in that while Napoleon was in exile, he was not allowed to have cheese, but was allowed fresh fruit. So he had his loyalists smuggle mimolette in for him under the guise of it being a melon.

i hadn't thought about it but I've only ever seen (or at least noticed) mimolette in sliced, packaged form before that photo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AOC is Appellation d'origine contrôlée, Appelation of Controlled origin, a French certification.

DOC is Denominazione d'origine controllata, Designation of Controlled origin, an Italian certification

PDO is Protected Designation of Origin, an EU umbrella certification.

Something can be either AOC or DOC, and can also be PDO, or not. Generally, something won't be PDO if it isn't also AOC or DOC.

Thanks! I was confused about how AOP fitted in as well, but that's just the French for PDO

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had some Shropshire Blue after dinner tonight, one of my favourite british cheeses. not that different from stilton, just a bit firmer and creamier and with a great coliyur, I think I prefer it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had some Cosso mixed goat/sheep/cow milk cheese. Was a bit gimmicky, not especially tasty, but nice enough nonetheless

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grilled or seared halloumi is awesome when paired with fruit

Grilled halloumi in literally anything is good.

Feta, mint and melon salad.

Tartiflette (in the winter only lol, not sure I could eat more than a mouthful in warm weather)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I did some maths and I think a wheel has like 160,000 calories worth of cheese in and like half a kg of salt. Maybe save the idea for a big wedding or something?