Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

you're already playing the greatest mmo of all time op
the game of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played classic wow for the first year of the pandemic and that was a nice escape from reality for a while. but I burnt out on it eventually

classic eq owns too if you want to flush your life down the toilet

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

current state EQ is a nostalgia rush if you've played before

I made a bard that I wanted to make since I was 14, got the premium subscription and bought a bunch of plat to deck myself out with everything I dreamed of as a kid. Ran around every old zone from Vanilla to Luclin at a million miles per hour with a friend also on the same nostalgic rush, met some super nice people and overall it was just a really great experience

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

does Tibia still exist lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
that haven & hearth game actually lokokks pretty cool

mh brain is completely broken and i can't be excited about anything for more than 5 minutes any more.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I used to get drunk and watch my roommate play Asherons Call 2 a little over twenty years ago, do people still play it?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

neato burrito posted:

I used to get drunk and watch my roommate play Asherons Call 2 a little over twenty years ago, do people still play it?

It's dead. Maybe there's private servers, I dunno

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Doctor Dogballs posted:

does Tibia still exist lol

Unfortunately

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Knot My President! posted:

I made a bard that I wanted to make since I was 14, got the premium subscription and bought a bunch of plat to deck myself out with everything I dreamed of as a kid. Ran around every old zone from Vanilla to Luclin at a million miles per hour with a friend also on the same nostalgic rush, met some super nice people and overall it was just a really great experience

Most of the games I played as a kid came from the shareware discs that you would get with a PC Gamer magazine. When I heard about Everquest I was super excited but I knew my parents would never buy it for me, so I applied to the beta test and actually got in. I was so excited when the envelope arrived in the mail containing the install CDs. I had to keep it a secret from my mother because she was very religious and thought fantasy/magic stuff was related to devil worship. Yeah. I also got to play the Asheron's Call beta and that was really cool. I tried both of the games recently but the nostalgia wore off quickly, they haven't really aged well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
sudden powerful urge to replay the Kroz games

this better be a thing i can do!!!!!

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
The old MMOs you used to play 10-15 years ago are better left as a nice memory.

Replaying them just left me disappointed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have successfully downloaded the entire KROZ saga of games

the file is 25k lmao lmao

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

i have successfully downloaded the entire KROZ saga of games

the file is 25k lmao lmao

lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Friends and I are gearing up for LOTRO as none of us have played it but are fans

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
MMOs are the best when you’re leveling and accomplish things with random people you meet. Carefree whimsical poo poo. Grinding end game content and getting to know the different meanings of your clan leader’s grunts because you’re spending hours together 5 days a week isn’t an experience you should pay for.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ichabod Tane posted:

Friends and I are gearing up for LOTRO as none of us have played it but are fans

in LOTRO you can farm pipeweed and you can smoke pipeweed and maybe go to moria

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

down n out posted:

MMOs are the best when you’re leveling and accomplish things with random people you meet. Carefree whimsical poo poo. Grinding end game content and getting to know the different meanings of your clan leader’s grunts because you’re spending hours together 5 days a week isn’t an experience you should pay for.

imo it's fun beating your head against a brick wall until it finally collapses (while cool music plays)

this is why I raid in ffxiv

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite parts in games is the levelling part. Once I hit max level everything is samey. So any game that ends with "everything is the same except you repeat everything for the 0.1% drop by a specific boss that takes a 1 hour raid to beat" is gonna be something I don't do unless the gameplay itself is fun.

Like, I can't play WoW or whatever because the gameplay is tedious at best and if I'm repeating poo poo just for a specific sword I'm gonna opt out. I think that's why I get drawn to shooters. Even if everything is maxed it's still active and fun (well, it should be) because it's just like a regular rear end deathmatch FPS or whatever.

I got out of TOR pretty quick because laser swords don't change the gameplay. ESO is just Elder Scrolls but sometimes people show up to hit the guy too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Playing the original EQ was part of the best time of my life. That was some of the most fun I've ever had gaming and was the high point. It was all downhill from there.

Nowher posted:

The old MMOs you used to play 10-15 years ago are better left as a nice memory.

Replaying them just left me disappointed.

This is what I'd imagine. Nothing will ever live up to what I felt then.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Howard Beale posted:

Hmmm, I used to have an account that I played for like a week a long time ago. Maybe I'll try it again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Knot My President! posted:

i did that with final fantasy 11 a couple years ago and it's still the best game to ever exist. Maybe I will resub soon but right now I'm playing Ultima Online which turns 25 years old this year and is the other best game to ever exist.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Mommy Milkers Online RPG

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liked everquest when i was a kid it was fun

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
it sounds like you want to play kingdom of loathing op

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Howard Beale posted:

Basically, yeah.

There's parts that are after Moria, but, idk, I certainly didn't get any further than growing a whole lot of pipeweed and visiting Moria.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is what I'd imagine. Nothing will ever live up to what I felt then.

sometimes when im super super depressed and i want to feel like i felt when things were good on this planet, i play final fantasy 4 while watching old hee-haw episodes on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is any variant of Space Cowboys Online / Flysis / Ace Online still active?

It was a fun game. I always thought a private server with balanced/same level players would be great for PvP.