Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I'd be a monk if it wasn't for the whole "believing in god" bit.

There are those in the clergy who are there for personal reasons who do not believe in god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but I don't hold with that level of societal lying. I have standards.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When I retire I'm going to become a beekeeper and never touch a computer again.
I'm willing to settle for a life working part time at the home depot gardening section just taking care of the flowers.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

It's upthread, I'm an offline editor. The fun, storytelling part of post (in my opinion of course). I've heard some horror stories about vfx labor practices. Game dev level crunch hours and stuff. Have you been able to avoid the worst of that? Are you freelance or full time at one place?

I'm in a slightly different position, because where i am there are agencies for freelance editors that negotiate our rates and (real, actual) overtime pay so i have some leeway to say "you signed the contract baby, cough up or i'm going home". I've heard vfx being non-union makes that kind of leverage much harder.

Oh nice! Editing has always been black magic to me, so you have my utmost respect!

I’ve sorta lucked out in my career - I’ve been freelance contract for the majority of it, with a couple of main clients. Right now I’m full-time contract with a studio and consulting at another, which is working out well enough. And my specialty is early enough in the pipe that OT comes up rarely and I just bill 1.5x when that happens and they pay.

Have coworkers on the comp, fx, and animation sides that put in 60 hour weeks regularly, for months at a time though. I do not envy them, heard enough stories to know that I’m never touching comp if I can avoid it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Methanar posted:

When I retire I'm going to become a beekeeper and never touch a computer again.
I'm willing to settle for a life working part time at the home depot gardening section just taking care of the flowers.

My great uncle was a beekeeper, he was also a postman to make the mortgage but mostly it was about the bees.

It's surprisingly easy in 2021, back when he started in the 1930s you had to build everything yourself, and like with PC building in the 1990s there was massive amounts of gatekeeping from people who didn't want anyone else to know their secret ways were just knowing how to build a hive and the basic patterns of bees. These days you just buy everything off the internet, including the bees.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I "get" Something Awful, OP.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sometimes i drive car fast

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Wendigee posted:

you are a good human... now tell us how to beep boop the stock market for money every few hours... thanks!

I too want to know this goons beep boop money secrets

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry, don't have the time to read all seven pages. Has anyone said OP's mum?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I work maintenance in a small factory. For the most part I just walk around the floor aimlessly. Sometimes I clean machines, sometimes I help with preventive maintenance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I work in a legal dept at a investment bank kill me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ichabod Tane posted:

I work in a legal dept at a investment bank kill me

wait for the next market crash and jump off a building

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hopefully I’ll just get a severance and then freak out about bills

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ichabod Tane posted:

Hopefully I’ll just get a severance and then freak out about bills

I was hoping not to survive

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LuckyCat posted:

Buddhist, catholic, or miscellaneous?

little late, but that last word is spelled Thelonious

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

when something is urgent at my job, I will just put “Urgent” or “Rush” at the front of my e-mail subject line. But some other people say “HOT”, or my least favorite, “HOT RUSH” which makes it sound like the project manager is about to have an orgasm

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

“HOT RUSH” which makes it sound like the project manager is about to have an orgasm

thinking about the beuatfiul iranian boss woman rn.........

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

im going to hot rush!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

op's mom

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I work as a Systems Engineer on a government 24/7 computer system that performs a useful public good. My main role is helping my coworkers figure poo poo out. Ops breaks and you have no clue what's going on, or how bad? I get called. You're trying to set something up in dev and it should be working but isn't? Call me.

I work on the nastiest, ill-defined, inter-team problems. I touch database, OS level, hardware, network, authentication, system architecture, storage, security, and most importantly our automated alerts. At this point drat near every alert is one I created or touched at some point.

My team is cool and chill, people have positive attitudes and work hard not to bother people off-hours or interfere with their family life. There are administrative policies that ensure we don't get stuck working late or on weekends and if someone else causes off hours problems the government boss chews them out.

Outside work I'm the primary parent for my 5 and 7 year olds. I play Zelda BOTW with them watching and offering commentary, cook most meals, help them dress and take showers and brush their teeth. I walk them to and from school, help them with their homework, etc.

I'm an amateur blacksmith and in the leadership of our local forge guild. I also do some woodworking and I'm handy around the house, my son says I'm a "good fixer". My family situation isn't ideal but I'm working on that. I help my brothers and sisters when they need it and hang out with them when everything is cool. I have a couple of close friends outside of my family as well.

source your quotes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
rephrasing my answer:

I make rock out of dirt to solve problems I have invented

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

when something is urgent at my job, I will just put “Urgent” or “Rush” at the front of my e-mail subject line. But some other people say “HOT”, or my least favorite, “HOT RUSH” which makes it sound like the project manager is about to have an orgasm

In the throes of a really unpleasant menopause.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
ABOUT TO CUM: TPS reports due tomorrow; team zoom rescheduled

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

LuckyCat posted:

What are they?

I see that this was a while ago, but Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 76. About the last one? Yeah I know *it's bad* but I love base building and collecting outfits.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I work at a tiny public library and do maybe two hours worth of work for all day. The pay sucks, but it gives me time to read cool books and make art.

I'm just waiting for my NFTs of farting into a desk fan to sell, then I'll be in the big time!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Waffle! posted:

I work at a tiny public library and do maybe two hours worth of work for all day. The pay sucks, but it gives me time to read cool books and make art.

I'm just waiting for my NFTs of farting into a desk fan to sell, then I'll be in the big time!

Yo link your OpenSea

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

mkvltra posted:

Yo link your OpenSea

I was joking but there's a market for everything, I guess

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

ABOUT TO CUM: TPS reports due tomorrow; team zoom rescheduled

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
I do everything by myself I am very lonely.
Appreciate your family OP.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao my bosses boss just made me commit to balancing his teams workload for the year.

Suck poo poo rear end face we're killing 3 tasks to do that. EZ year now lmao.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I have spent the day making sticky note comments on PDFs of old historic railroads for our map department to make more maps.

Maps.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
I spent today at my computer desk listening to people have computer problems then I took a shower on company time and then I went for a walk and now I’m back at the same desk shitposting on my own time.

Every day for the last two years has been the same.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I have a corporate job that's basically indefinitely work from home now, which is great because I spend 30 minutes every day looking at some reports then I go take a 4 hour nap or play video games. Then, I do whichever of the previous two things that I didn't do first. Maybe answer an email or two the rest of the day. Besides that I generally just go out with my wife to the store and stuff and chill with my cats or take more naps.

It rules, I hope I can keep this job forever.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got my dream job, which is making a game's FPS go up.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I lurk beneath bus stop benches and bite people in the ankles. The salary is terrible but i get to decide my hours

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Elentor posted:

I got my dream job, which is making a game's FPS go up.

oceans 11 style heists of GPUs out of bitcoin mining facilities, then give them out like robin hood? that sounds cool as hell.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thinking about the beuatfiul iranian boss woman rn.........

anybody else think chun fled the country with his very beautiful iranian boss and that's why he stopped posting?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I work minimum wage jobs to keep my very simple lifestyle afloat, otherwise I'm playing video games and smoking weed.

My partner has the good job so that's why we have a house. We watch YouTube together.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

goatface posted:

I'd be a monk if it wasn't for the whole "believing in god" bit.

I looked into living at a buddhist monastery as a monk, and they're happy to take you but they all expected lifetime commitments and you were never to leave the monastery, so it sounded like it would be very difficult to leave if you ever changed your mind. Like it would probably take more than just packing up and walking out the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am a proposal manager for a megacorp. I didn’t know squat about proposals before I fell into this career and I feel pretty fortunate that this is where I ended up. I’ll never make computer touches money but it’s not too shabby for an English major!