Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The transparency only works on your effects, not the red circle indicators of enemy attacks.

I honestly find SSS rather easy to read incoming damage, there's just a ton of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Did a Castle Conquest run in Boneraiser Minions to get my 100% back. Amazing that this dev polished the mode even further, refined existing stages(the elevator is brutal now), added a new stage with a great gimmick(modified library with fully stocked shelves with random spells, waves of aggressive wizards and a new Wizard Council boss fight) and even made Queen Gigalicious harder to fight. Really turns it from an oddity of a mode into a refined final challenge. :allears:

The quality of life touches like better explanations of boner benefits/upgrades and new stuff is great too. He CAN keep getting away with it!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

500% aoe with full opacity lol

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Coming musically soon and mechanically Soon: _ReMix and Heavy Storm Shadow

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2641770/_ReMix/

quote:

ReMix is a unique musical rhythm action game that combines the elements of Rogue games. In this world, you are able to choose from a variety of heroes with different fighting styles and use the power of music to battle against evil void monsters.

Then you will meet various heroes with distinctive playing and fighting styles, such as Octavia who is good at Melody House and Amaya who is a Funk expert. Over 10 musicians with different abilities who use not only their music but also born skills can be recruited to your band and fight with you. In addition, there are hundreds of props with different effects for you to choose and use, which you can strategically mix and match to apply a variety of battle combinations .

Different heroes, different rhythms.
Different heroes will bring different music and rhythms.
The effects of skills vary for different rhythms.

Explore the truth about the world
Delve deeper into the story as you continue to fight off void monsters and uncover the truth about characters and the world.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1954540/Heavy_Storm_Shadow/

quote:

This is a very fast God's perspective roguelike shooter, the player will pilot the mech, explore the alien frontier, enjoy the "Crimsonland + Vampire Survivors (Vampire Survivors)" endless killing!

Unlock the true potential of your mech and witness its constant growth and upgrades! In deserts, ice and even satellites, kill thousands of swarms to strengthen your mech!
At the end of each battle you will gain valuable resources to upgrade your mech's weapons and armor, unlocking new skills and powerful equipment.
Through battles, you'll gain the bonds of your mech's pilots, forming modules in different directions to shape your unique fighting style.
Grow and upgrade your mech in real time to make it more and more invincible and become the ultimate weapon against the swarm!

Monsters are coming at you like wave after wave, and as your mech's guns move, the monsters explode into a fog of blood and fall in pieces, painting the earth in scarlet. Operate your mech to dodge attacks, kill through the siege, and find a way to survive among hundreds of enemies!

Explore your own powerful combat combo by unlocking more and more powerful weapons and skills! Become stronger by killing and choosing, picking up resources, choosing the most suitable enhancements, and finally killing the terrifying bosses head-on!

offers a rich arsenal of multiple primary and secondary weapons, as well as numerous skills with unique features. These weapons and skills will provide endless possibilities for your battles. In the future, there will be even more powerful mechs waiting to be harnessed by you!

The game already offers 3 challenging maps, each with unique enemy combinations and powerful bosses waiting to be challenged for a completely different leveling experience. As the game continues to update, you will meet more new maps and new modes of play to make your Meat Pigeon adventure even more colorful.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap4fJcCAlN0

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Before The Dawn also, quietly, crosses the tickertape to v1.0:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2225870/Before_The_Dawn/

quote:

Before the Dawn is a Rougelite shooter game. In an infected city riddled with Deads and Variants, you need to fight their way out of this hell and get rescued.

Faced with constantly coming Deads, take up your arms, unlock and use various Upgrades to get strengthened and rescued. Random maps, random rewards, random vehicles, each round of this game will bring diverse experiences in apocalyptic survival and fight.

You can unlock various characters- each owns their own personality and special skills. According to each character’s specialty and your preference, find your specialized and exclusive fight tactics.

Use various vehicles to explore the map and find out fortuitous rewards and surprise! You can choose to be a city ranger, or just drive over and kill all enemies to find the way out!

·More than 50 various Upgrades
·Boundless maps and rich rewards of exploration
·Destructible scene and various types of vehicles
·Choose your own fight pace and tactics. Fight with lightness and joy
·Use gift system and the shop to get strengthened

Four game modes, enjoy your adventure!
· Raccoon City: Find the signal tower and get rescued in traditional exploration mode!
· Raccoon City (Survive): Try to survive in a city full of zombies!
· Nest War: Attack the nest in the city and stop the enemy's offensive!
· Turret defense battle: Protect your safe house and try to hold on until rescue arrives!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They actually called the mode Raccoon City lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't even know what to call this genre; Survivor-likes or Bullet Heavens, but what would people say are the top tier ones? I've only played Vampire Survivors and Holocure and I wish the latter got as weird as the former, the levels are all just areas with obstacles or closed in for Halloween Castle and Gelora Bung Yagoo's case. Nothing gets as wild as the Astral Staircase or fighting the Directer or The Ender bosses.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Glyphica with a Demo, furthering the niche within The Niche of Typing and/or QuickTime'ing..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2400160/Glyphica_Typing_Survival/

quote:

Glyphica is a typing rogue-like that challenges your typing skills and strategy as you eliminate waves of enemies with your keyboard. Master your glyphs, unlock upgrades, and prioritize targets to unleash devastation on your foes and stay alive. How fast can your fingers fly?
Type to Shoot

Type the word above an enemy's name to fire your main weapon at it. It's as simple as that. All other acquired weapons are triggered by that same action, so you have to pick which enemy to fire at carefully.

Endless Upgrade Combinations

Between random loot and level up upgrades, there are hundreds of combinations for you to explore. Every game is different and you will be presented with different choices from your last, pick wisely to survive as long as possible.

Permanent Unlocks

Find an optimal build that suits your playstyle? Make it stronger using permanent upgrades. Use currency earned from sessions to craft a unique build that catapults you into record times. Change your mind? No worries, you can reset your upgrades for free and start over.

Controller Support

Typing games on the controller are impossible you say? Not anymore. Glyphica transforms the words into quicktime sequences for the same exhilarating gameplay on a gamepad. It's a fresh experience even for experienced typists (you'll feel like a rookie again), not to mention it's a lot more comfortable to play on the couch.

Laid-back Vibes

Relaxing lofi beats in the background help you focus on the game and decompress after a long day. Each game lasts 8 - 12 minutes (longer if you are good), so it can be played in short bursts between tasks.

Key Features

Ever-evolving Builds: Carve your own upgrade path through hundreds of combinations.
Augmentation System: Unlock perma-upgrades and evolve your build across sessions.
Typing Speedster: The higher your WPM, the more you destroy.
Varied Arsenal: Experiment with an expansive collection of weapons, spoils, and upgrades.
Quick and Accessible: Engage in 10-20 minute runs tailored for quick sessions.
Couch mode: Words turns into quicktime sequences on controller.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even know what to call this genre; Survivor-likes or Bullet Heavens, but what would people say are the top tier ones? I've only played Vampire Survivors and Holocure and I wish the latter got as weird as the former, the levels are all just areas with obstacles or closed in for Halloween Castle and Gelora Bung Yagoo's case. Nothing gets as wild as the Astral Staircase or fighting the Directer or The Ender bosses.

im not sure if any of them really take the level design as far as vampire survivors does. none of the ones i have played at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I also appreciate that Vampire Survivors will just make enemies playable and weird too, like Peppino and O'Sole.

Also I've finally started playing. VP again on Switch and I unlocked Space Dude's gun playing as an Among Us character and I think they've fixed them crashing the game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Vampire Survivors is middle of the road on level design as they started the genre and the game with next to none and then added it in with pleasing results. They still pioneered the minimal acceptable standard of flat, featureless infinite rectangle and it's up to devs to boldly move past that.

RareAcumen posted:

Of the games I'm about to recommend I'd say that Halls of Torment and Boneraiser Minions are easily in the top 5 of the genre.

Boneraiser Minions: So good it might beat the king. The current masterpiece of a one man dev army who has meticulously polished and updated it for two years straight. Full fledged level and video game design, good retro visuals and soundtrack across the board, bullet heaven+ gameplay in that you mostly walk around and dodge stuff but there's a VERY important dash to learn to use as well as timing elements for spell casts, etc. Enormous variety in player powers, enemies and play modes, easily in the top 3 of the genre. Likes potty humor and some meme-rear end baby talk but even if you hate it it won't get in the way of the game.

Brotato: Although a bit light on things like level design it has a rock solid gameplay core in an addictive loop that encourages you to get wins with the 30+(!!) classes. Excellent stat system provides maybe the most variety of builds in the entire genre. Hard as nails but with adjustable difficulty and crutch classes. Very little meta-progression other than new item/class unlocks.

20 Minutes Till Dawn: A minimalist wonder that does a lot of what the other two do. It's an excellent trait mixing system to build a screen clearing dynamo to fight the well-done monotone horror of the armies of abyssal dread that inch towards you. One excellent background track. Starts hard but gets significantly easier with meta-progression upgrades, mostly the healing ones.

Halls of Torment: Another so good it throws hands at VS itself game. Starts off with a suspiciously grounded approach that encourages you to struggle and learn it until you realize that hey, this charmingly Diablo 1-flavored bullet heaven can be broken across your knee too! Has a delightfully morbid design tone to it that will delight anyone who was a kid with 32-bit consoles like the Playstation 1. Huge amount of replayability encouraged and has hit a real stride with the last two major updates, including ironing out the growing pains of the bonus difficulty Agony mode.

Bio Prototype: Definitely lacking in level and enemy design but this one goes all in on the most unique player power system in the genre. All your weapons are made by piecing together how they function with a code-like structure. You can get a pellet shooter and add IF X THEN Y stuff to it and so on, from spawning damaging zones and automated minions to weapons that trigger weapons that trigger weapons.. the only limitations are your available weapon slots and figuring out how it works, though it offers at-will testing to make sure your things do work between levels.

Deep Rock Galactic: Survivors: Although in an early access stage with clear balance issues it's still a fully fleshed out game lovingly made with all the moxie you'd expect from the DRG name and it most likely can only get better. Even if you don't get into it fully it's a strong bullet heaven that takes real strides in adding more good game design to the genre, namely more active demands to control the approach of enemies and in more active, interesting level design with mining tunnels, dodging hazards, and balancing greed vs safety. An easy 10-20 hours of good fun if you already like DRG, the co-op horde shooter about dwarves in space.

---

Every game listed above I'd buy in a heartbeat, especially on sale. These next ones... well, forewarned is forearmed.

Spellbook Demonslayers: This one is actually pretty good, though not as good as any of the above. It also seems to be in a weird limbo where the dev plans to turn it into an unrelated roguelike? I dunno. You could play it until then!

Her Name Was Fire: Although strictly competent it never pushes past being very basic and gets crowded out by the genre offering so many other pieces of gold for $5 or less.

Void Scrappers: Basically a beta rushed out to ride the wave. Has a few good ideas(like the spaceship with the sweet turbo dash drift cooldown) but does so very little with them. Shamelessly bad enemy design, direct visual glitches, awful upgrade balancing including weapon classes that are close to nonfunctional.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 19, 2024

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even know what to call this genre

Monster Mulchers

I've seen multiple references to mowing grass. Or shaving.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I dunno what to call it but bullet heaven ain’t it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
bullet heaven comes from the play on bullet hell

where you are a character and dodge bullets and enemies
but now you are a character and shoot bullets and dodge enemies

it fits

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my steam category for them is "auto-shooters" :shrug:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Garlikes is a safe choice. :goleft:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know if they're top tier necessarily, but the other ones I've played and enjoyed more than others are mainly Halls of Torment and Nordic Ashes. Deeprock Survivors is good but not great and I can't really recommend it yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I personally prefer bullet heaven as a genre name but I usually just default to Survivors-like because it seems like everyone and their mom has heard of VS at this point. :shrug:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The genre is Vampire-Survivors, and an individual title is a Vampire-Survivor

e.g. Vampire Survivors is a Vampire-Survivor

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Awesome! posted:

my steam category for them is "auto-shooters" :shrug:

steam can never be trusted

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I was hoping the VS dev would go for my suggestion of tagging it as a walking simulator on steam

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like bullet heaven, that's what I called the category in my library. "Survivors-like" sucks, it's too similar to like two other genres (survival horror and survival crafting).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

survival-survival games

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

You can pry the term Bullet Heaven from my cold, dead fingers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When I'm mad at them I call them AAA flash games

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

SettingSun posted:

When I'm mad at them I call them AAA flash games

Many pages back someone mentioned "all these are like a rediscovery of arcade games" and that resonated

But another +1 for bullet heaven

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Burger Time Survivors

e: ooh, Galaga Survivors, where the/a powerup mechanic is getting hoovered up by one of the top-row baddies

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 19, 2024

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just use Horde Survivors.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Garlic Flavored.

Vampire Survivors is still the best Garlic Flavored.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
my folder of discord servers for these games is named survivorslikes

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

SettingSun posted:

I dunno what to call it but bullet heaven ain’t it

:yeah:

some variation of survivor-like seems to be the default alternative but is a mouthful, I usually say "vs clone" like doom clones back before fps was coined

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Death must die got a big update
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2334730/view/4201370861619291408?l=english

New area that's much more difficult, rank 2 items etc

Old talents were removed and instead there is a skill tree.

Best of all:
6. Quality of Life improvements - Item binding fully removed, Attack Slowdown moved to optional difficulty modifier, increased stash tabs.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

like most games, the inventory loot poo poo is an active detriment

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Disfigure just got a railgun and folks, it's good

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Not in love with the Death Must Die update but it has potential. New archer character is fun, but probably due for a nerf soon. Feels overtuned in the roster.

I like the idea of the skill trees, but it’s a disappointingly long, per character grind right now. Not helped by the fact the interesting nodes are mostly all the way down at the end of the trees, so you have to grind out 25 points worth of +2% strike damage or +1 reroll before you can get the stuff like “permanent fire dragon summon” or “autoattacks gain a chance to proc a free random Cast or Strike on every hit” which are admittedly cool

This entirely replaces the Signs/character variation system and while some of them show up as capstones on the trees, it hurts to see some of the more unique and genuinely gamechanging Signs removed like Merris’ infinite pickup radius

Overall I think it’s a question of execution—the one character I’ve gotten to level 30 feels great but there is no way I’m grinding out another with the way things are right now so game diversity is gonna hurt for a while

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Mover posted:

the one character I’ve gotten to level 30 feels great but there is no way I’m grinding out another with the way things are right now so game diversity is gonna hurt for a while

I got sorc to 35 and it wasn't too bad and already have the archer halfway there. Didn't hurt that on my first attempt at the desert with him I killed the final boss instantly.

No idea how hard some of the enemies in the desert will be for melee though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mover posted:

Not in love with the Death Must Die update but it has potential. New archer character is fun, but probably due for a nerf soon. Feels overtuned in the roster.

I like the idea of the skill trees, but it’s a disappointingly long, per character grind right now. Not helped by the fact the interesting nodes are mostly all the way down at the end of the trees, so you have to grind out 25 points worth of +2% strike damage or +1 reroll before you can get the stuff like “permanent fire dragon summon” or “autoattacks gain a chance to proc a free random Cast or Strike on every hit” which are admittedly cool

This entirely replaces the Signs/character variation system and while some of them show up as capstones on the trees, it hurts to see some of the more unique and genuinely gamechanging Signs removed like Merris’ infinite pickup radius

Overall I think it’s a question of execution—the one character I’ve gotten to level 30 feels great but there is no way I’m grinding out another with the way things are right now so game diversity is gonna hurt for a while

Conversely, I'm quite enjoying it myself. But I do wish that they gave everyone like 5 Skill Points per "subclass" unlocked from the old system. Needing to rerun Act 1 poo poo ton per character definitely feels bad.

I do agree that the Ranger feels pretty strong though.
I like all the tweaks to the existing Gods; Morte felt too strong before but is in a better spot. Time and Justice also feel better too.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The archer is comedically strong in Death Must Die. I just started with the new patch and my best run in the first stage made it somewhere between the gargoyles and the final boss with the Sorceress, using a nutty build with the Time Attack and Gem Recall both on Master and a full slate of casts. Still only had some 10 points in her skill tree, but she had some decent gear and a considerably better weapon then everyone else with both great damage and health on kill.

I unlock the archer and get my first fight AND KILL on Baron with him basically going in half-naked and never even finding a bow for him to equip during the run with an Ice/Electric/Death boon pile charitably referrable to as 'random bullshit.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Shurikens also feel supremely over-tuned. My Merris isn't very high level, but I am about half way down the tree with all the Summon related things. Managed to pick up "The Summoner" passive quite early, and while my Skeletons did have good Boss DPS it feels like all I needed was just Warped Attack & Shuriken.

Virtually any run its offered I take it, and it always tops my DPS chart.